Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 May 2003 (Sunday) 07:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

10D focus issue demystified

AndyDe
125 posts
Joined Sep 2002
Essex, UK
Jul 09, 2003 16:03 |  #31

I'm quite happy with my 10D but I do remember the long wait before canon admitted to problems with the case cracking on black G2's, fortuanately mine was ok...but now find myself checking it everytime I get it out, much as I'm now paranoid about sensor dust on the 10D.

sponsored links
Spike56
23 posts
Joined May 2003
Jul 10, 2003 10:36 |  #32

I got my 10D on 4/15/03 and 2 Canon lenses to get myself started. Both are not "L" lenses. That was relatively close to when they were introduced I beleive so I think I got an early one. I suspected a focusing problem early on but figured it was mostly due to user error as I am NOT a professional photogrpaher. During these past few months I've read as much as I could about this issue and did numerous tests. In most cases I was getting pictures that were not focused on the intended target, a good example was at my daughters soccer game where I took about 100 shots. Using the center focusing square you could see in the grass an area in focus that was usually just in front of the kids. I use shooting mostly around 50mm @ 1/250 - 1/750. Lens was wide open in most cases but even with the kids standing still this was still a problem. I now added a Canon 75-300 IS and with all three Im still seeing this. I setup and did tests with the lines on paper and with all three lenses I was front focusing.
So I called my local shop that sold me the body and they swapped me for a new one, which had firmware 1.0.1 in it and the old one didnt so Im guessing its newer.
I've taken a few shot with it, but they sure seem alot better. Next soccer game will be the true test.

I'll try and keep you all posted.

Spike

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,108 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jul 10, 2003 17:12 |  #33

Thanks Spike, it is good to hear shops are giving no trouble on this issue.

BTW: Everyone should have have a look at image http://www.pbase.com/i​mage/18920257external link which shows how big 10D AF sensors really are related to focus screen rectangles - it is very useful to be aware of this when focusing.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 10, 2003 22:07 |  #34

lziering wrote:
Just a small point, but I don't think Canon makes a 50mm f/1.4 "L" lens. Either its a f/1.2 or its not an "L".

Humm, I think it should be EF50mm f/1.0 L USM.

Griffin.

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 10, 2003 22:10 |  #35

Pekka,

I strongly suggest you "pin" this thread on the top of this forum, if it is possible.

Griffin.

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Aug 10, 2003 22:53 |  #36

Hello,

Sorry to bring this one up again.

I am close to buying my 10D. Well, after searching back the posts here and there, I am still wary about how I setup the test environment, say, placing the test ruler at a 45-degree angle. How could I know it is a 45-degree angle?

Thanks for all your help and input so far.

Wish me luck! :D

Griffin.

P.S. This is kinda "undercover" kinda of "bump", you know.

Roger_Cavanagh
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Aug 11, 2003 04:13 |  #37

Griffin,

Not sure whether you are seriously asking about how to set a 45-deg angle or not, but I'll assume you are.

It doesn't matter. You aren't trying to assess how much the focus is off, only that it is off. The key points are to make sure the camera is focussing on a completely flat target and that the angled ruler does not enter the focus area at all. If this happens, the camera might legitimately pick part of the ruler away from the intended point of focus. That's why all those picture aimed at the 6 inch mark of a ruler or complete cobblers.

Before pfaffing around with a complicated set-up, you might like to read this article. http://www.rogercavana​gh.com/helpinfo/23_foc​uscheck.htmexternal link, which describes how Canon Germany say to test focus. It's a lot less hassle to set up, although it will only tell you whether focus is off, not if you are getting front or back focus. But off is off, and if you do need to have the camera calibrated I don't think the Canon service technicians will care what you found.

Regards,

=============
Roger Cavanagh
www.rogercavanagh.comexternal link

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,108 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 11, 2003 05:55 |  #38

bump ( only admin can bump here :) )

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Aug 11, 2003 08:27 |  #39

Roger_Cavanagh wrote:

Before pfaffing around with a complicated set-up, you might like to read this article. http://www.rogercavana​gh.com/helpinfo/23_foc​uscheck.htmexternal link, which describes how Canon Germany say to test focus. It's a lot less hassle to set up, although it will only tell you whether focus is off, not if you are getting front or back focus. But off is off, and if you do need to have the camera calibrated I don't think the Canon service technicians will care what you found.

Regards,

Thank you Roger. Your site is one of the best Canon DSLR support sites out there. I have done some of my research before posting. :) I am still not sure about the ruler thing. BTW, the city here runs out of 10D appearently. I think I am taking time to try your hints out first.

Griffin.

arem
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2003
Aug 12, 2003 09:25 |  #40

Hi Pekka.

I'm new to this board, so sorry if this has been posted and I missed it, but where can I dl the Canon Finland's focus test you used in the above example. Thanks.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,108 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 13, 2003 09:23 |  #41

arem wrote:
Hi Pekka.

I'm new to this board, so sorry if this has been posted and I missed it, but where can I dl the Canon Finland's focus test you used in the above example. Thanks.

It's not available for download AFAIK. This info only tells how Canon does it - I don't know if they share the actual chart copies (I'll have to call and ask it one of these days).

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Aug 14, 2003 20:06 |  #42

Using method as on Roger_Cavanagh's site. I run several tests with EF50mm f/1.4 USM, EF100mm f/2.8 Macro and EF70-200mm f/2.8 L USM. No problem exhibitied on my new 10D so far...

Which is good!

Griffin.

slejhamer
Goldmember
1,758 posts
Joined Jun 2002
Aug 15, 2003 06:45 |  #43

What's within spec? (Re: 10D focus issue)

How much error is "allowable" or within spec for AF?

With my zoom lens at wide angle (28mm) the error is barely noticeable at f3.5. But at telephoto (135mm, f5.6) with a close-up test shot, there is a discernable 8mm-10mm front focus error.

For general shooting this may not be a problem, but it seems that for macro shots it would be very problematic. Also, if I had a faster lens, I think it would be even more evident. Is it time to pack it off to Canon, or is this level of error not something to worry about?

Hope I didn't miss the info in a previous post.

Mitch

Tin ­ Man
206 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Lorton, VA
Aug 15, 2003 09:52 |  #44

Thank Pekka! My test was right on the target. :D

The list is getting too long..

Roger_Cavanagh
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Aug 15, 2003 10:19 |  #45

slejhamer wrote:
How much error is "allowable" or within spec for AF?

The best info I've seen in this article http://bobatkins.photo​.net/info/faq30/eos3af​.htmlexternal link by Atkins with intput from Canon's Chuck Westfall.

He writes:

A "normal-precision" AF sensor produces focusing accuracy within the depth of focus for the lens' maximum aperture. A high-precision" AF sensor produces focusing accuracy within 1/3 the depth of focus for the lens' maximum aperture. Therefore, when activated, the high-precision AF sensors have up to 3 times the precision of the normal-precision sensors.

The 10D has, AFAIK, normal precision sensors, but I doubt this standard could be applied to macro work.

Regards,

=============
Roger Cavanagh
www.rogercavanagh.comexternal link

sponsored links

80,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
10D focus issue demystified
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.