Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 11 Jun 2011 (Saturday) 13:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EQUIPMENT REVIEW: Innovatronix Explorer Mini : Part 1 - Initial Thoughts

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009
St. Albert, AB Canada
Jun 14, 2011 11:33 |  #31

TMR Design wrote in post #12591794external link
Hi Jim,

If you could try something, this will help me and Innovatronix.

I believe you said you have the problem with the Genesis 400 at full power. Reduce the power by 1/10 stop and see if anything changes.

I can try that tomorrow morning, too.

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographerexternal link
Google Business Photos Edmontonexternal link
Gear list

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Jun 14, 2011 11:33 |  #32

Village_Idiot wrote in post #12591814external link
How's the capacity compare to the Explorer XT SE? That, and can you post recycle times with the two 600's. at full power at the same time? I'm wondering if one of these would be good for a 1200w/s Speedo blackline pack.

With these scaled down batteries, battery life is definitely going to go down and won't compare to the life of the XT SE.

The problem with recycle times is that there really is no way to accurately measure the time. I've used a stopwatch, popped 10 times and averaged and it's really so inaccurate.

That's why I was saying in my response to Jim that it's easier to plug the same strobe in to an XTSE and into the Mini, pop them and then post my observation about how much faster or slower one is compared to the other.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

alyson
227 posts
Joined May 2005
Jun 14, 2011 20:11 as a reply to post 12582796 |  #33

What I'm really looking forward to is the review of its compatibility with two BXRI's, since 2 Dlites have already been shown on their video :

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=IsDqbb4fiOAexternal link

:cool: honesty is easy, fiction is where true genius lies :cool:

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Boston, PRofMA
Jun 14, 2011 20:40 |  #34

TMR Design wrote in post #12591851external link
The problem with recycle times is that there really is no way to accurately measure the time. I've used a stopwatch, popped 10 times and averaged and it's really so inaccurate

The only way I can think of doing it accurately is to build some gizmo that starts a timer when you press a start button that fires an optical pulse or triggers a sync port, then either measures the light from the ready light on the flash, listens to the beep, or measures current draw of zero.
Otherwise, you only get approximations for quick cycle times :(

You might want to ask the Innovatronix guys how they do it since they gave you the unit to review. They probably have some way of doing it accurately...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jun 14, 2011 22:28 |  #35

TMR Design wrote in post #12591700external link
But is there anything in the Genesis documentation that even mentions the beeps?

Rob,
My recollection is that the multiple beeping occurred at all power settings when I was testing the Genesis with a PCB VML.

When I purchased a couple of Genesis 400s and discovered the digital power settings were way off what one expects, Calumet said that that was just the way it was "after all, they are entry level monolights." I returned the 400s.

As I stated earlier, I suspect the beeping is because the circuitry in the digital controller is primitive and is responding to voltage fluctuations that are probably a normal part of an inverter based power source.

If I had to use my 300B with a VML and it failed I would chalk it up to poor Genesis design and send it to Calumet for warranty replacement. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010
New Delhi, India
Jun 14, 2011 22:43 |  #36

kenyee wrote in post #12594849external link
The only way I can think of doing it accurately is to build some gizmo that starts a timer when you press a start button that fires an optical pulse or triggers a sync port, then either measures the light from the ready light on the flash, listens to the beep, or measures current draw of zero.
Otherwise, you only get approximations for quick cycle times :(

You might want to ask the Innovatronix guys how they do it since they gave you the unit to review. They probably have some way of doing it accurately...

You could always video it and check the exact time from flash to beep.

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500pxexternal link

HeadShotz
160 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Jun 14, 2011 23:42 |  #37

Lichtwerk wrote in post #12595550external link
You could always video it and check the exact time from flash to beep.

Seriously..is it that crucial to the measurebators to know whether it's 1.4 or 1.8 seconds recycle time? 1 1/2 to 2 seconds is enough info for me.

I'd be more concerned about why the multiple beeps...but...measureb​ate away!

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Jun 14, 2011 23:52 as a reply to HeadShotz's post |  #38

As I indicated above, I'm not going to try to measure time. I'm simply going to look at relationships and perceived timing differences. Even Innovatronix is giving rough times and not giving a specification.

There's no way for them to do that because every strobe would respond differently. All they are doing is giving a window of time based on their testing.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010
New Delhi, India
Jun 14, 2011 23:56 |  #39

HeadShotz wrote in post #12595821external link
Seriously..is it that crucial to the measurebators to know whether it's 1.4 or 1.8 seconds recycle time? 1 1/2 to 2 seconds is enough info for me.

I am merely providing an idea for an option to measure.

While it sure as hell doesn't matter if it's 1.4 or 1.8 seconds, it's still nice to see how the recycle time compares to AC power or other battery options.
The multiple beeps only seem to be an issue with the aforementioned Calumet lights.

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500pxexternal link

HeadShotz
160 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Jun 15, 2011 00:39 |  #40

Lichtwerk wrote in post #12595858external link
I am merely providing an idea for an option to measure.

While it sure as hell doesn't matter if it's 1.4 or 1.8 seconds, it's still nice to see how the recycle time compares to AC power or other battery options.
The multiple beeps only seem to be an issue with the aforementioned Calumet lights.

And 1 1/2 to 2 seconds would give me plenty enough of a recycle time comparison vs. AC power or other battery options. So if one battery option gave you 1.4 seconds and another (or AC powered) gave you 1.8..that would sway you or make a major difference? Again...measurebate away....

The multiple beep issue SO FAR is only with the Calumet lights. Only a handful of people actually have an Explorer Mini' at this point. Your basing your conclusion that it's ONLY the Calumet lights on this one report/review so far? Your stating that as if it's widely known it's ONLY the Calumet lights.

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Los Angeles
Jun 15, 2011 00:48 |  #41

so you came in a review thread in the equipment section, what did you expect?

HeadShotz wrote in post #12595991external link
And 1 1/2 to 2 seconds would give me plenty enough of a recycle time comparison vs. AC power or other battery options. So if one battery option gave you 1.4 seconds and another (or AC powered) gave you 1.8..that would sway you or make a major difference? Again...measurebate away....

The multiple beep issue SO FAR is only with the Calumet lights. Only a handful of people actually have an Explorer Mini' at this point. Your basing your conclusion that it's ONLY the Calumet lights on this one report/review so far? Your stating that as if it's widely known it's ONLY the Calumet lights.

well did you click on theyoutube video? Dlites did not do that.
whitesell aka Jim said they have multiple beeps so I am gong to believe him. Do you have proof to prove it otherwise?

EDIT:

http://photography-on-the.net ...?p=11649873&postcou​nt=109

http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=11602541#post11​602541

http://photography-on-the.net ...p=11602211&postcoun​t=4177

http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=11981649#post11​981649

I am not saying you are a troll or trolling. Just looking over your past posts.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com ...6850267535/in/photo​streamexternal link

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Stockholm / Sweden
Jun 15, 2011 02:25 |  #42
banned

Yes his history is quite telling isn't it ?

My favourite, anyone see the wealth of images posted from headshotz ?

Nah didn't think so...:rolleyes:

There is always a purist in the crowd, easies way to spot them is to look for a raised pinky finger and a monocle...

Regards
Paul L.

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009
St. Albert, AB Canada
Jun 15, 2011 07:28 |  #43

TMR Design wrote in post #12591794external link
Hi Jim,

If you could try something, this will help me and Innovatronix.

I believe you said you have the problem with the Genesis 400 at full power. Reduce the power by 1/10 stop and see if anything changes.

Hi Rob,

The multiple beeps occur when I use two strobes at any power setting. When I use only one strobe, operation is normal, with a single beep regardless of power setting.

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographerexternal link
Google Business Photos Edmontonexternal link
Gear list

kenyee
981 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Boston, PRofMA
Jun 15, 2011 08:12 |  #44

Uhh...we were making suggestions because Robert was complaining how a stopwatch was very inaccurate...

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006
New York
Jun 15, 2011 09:21 |  #45

kenyee wrote in post #12596945external link
Uhh...we were making suggestions because Robert was complaining how a stopwatch was very inaccurate...

What we need is an Arduino geek who can breadboard something to start a timer when the strobe flashes and stop it when the ready light comes on. FM is full of Arduino geeks.

Anyone with a dual-trace oscilloscope, perhaps?

Dave F.

sponsored links

23,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
EQUIPMENT REVIEW: Innovatronix Explorer Mini : Part 1 - Initial Thoughts
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.