Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #1
delsol9400

Default EINSTEIN + VAGABOND MINI VS QUADRA

Ok, looking for people's opinions here... I've been using an Elinchrom Quadra while shooting weddings. I'm down here in Sunny SWFL... and on bright days I find myself needing a little, but not much more than 400ws. I thought about switching to the Profoto Acute... But the weight of the acuteb head comes in at almost 4 pounds... which is about the same weight as the Einstein. What do you guys think about me using the Einstein and vagabond mini on weddings... too much to lug around?

Thanks,

Joe
delsol9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #2
eduardofrances

Default Re: EINSTEIN + VAGABOND MINI VS QUADRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsol9400 View Post
Ok, looking for people's opinions here... I've been using an Elinchrom Quadra while shooting weddings. I'm down here in Sunny SWFL... and on bright days I find myself needing a little, but not much more than 400ws. I thought about switching to the Profoto Acute... But the weight of the acuteb head comes in at almost 4 pounds... which is about the same weight as the Einstein. What do you guys think about me using the Einstein and vagabond mini on weddings... too much to lug around?

Thanks,

Joe
While the Einstein has some awesome features many people report a high rate of quality control related problems, just a while ago Mary Duprie bought 4 Einsteins and the 4 were dead.

While the mini saves on weight the problem is that as you can see in Rob Galbraithīs review it doubles the recycling time compared to other (and heavier) solutions (even when he embellishes the results with praises they are still abysmal IMHO).

The Quadra while nice featured has limitations like the adapter you have to get to use Elinchrom modifiers with the Quadra heads can only hold softboxes, octas, etc. up to 100 centimeters, bigger than that and it flexes (and it flexes quite a bit) this flex on the metal eventually means it could break, so you are limited with the size of octas, softoboxes, etc.

400ws can be adequate even in bright sun (depending of the distance from the subject and the modifier used) I have shot photos with BDīs and a Parabolic umbrella and underpowered the sun without much problem (at a good distance from the subject).

The Ranger RX isnīt much more expensive than the Quadra RX, and it is less heavy than the Profoto Acute, also the heads for the Ranger RX can handle the weight of big modifiers without problem.

However the biggest advantage of getting Profoto is that you can rent more profoto gear in most civilized cities of the world which is great to complement with more gear whenever you need to.

There are lots of things to consider in this decision, however if you need something lighter than the Acute I would go for the Ranger RX instead of the Quadra or the Einstein + Vagabond miniīs.
eduardofrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #3
lazer-jock
Don't mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardofrances View Post
While the Einstein has some awesome features many people report a high rate of quality control related problems, just a while ago Mary Duprie bought 4 Einsteins and the 4 were dead.
IIRC, there was a chorus of people saying that there were likely electrical problems in her building which largely fell on deaf ears. My take-away from that thread was that Einsteins may be a more finicky to extremely poor quality of power coming out of walls than the higher priced brands, but if you're running if off of a VML, there should be no problem. Others in the same thread will undoubtedly have taken away different messages, but that is what I gleaned from the conversation.

My Gear List
lazer-jock is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #4
BrandonSi
Goldmember

One good thing about buying a VML + Einstein setup is that if you try it out and decide you want to go a different direction, you'll probably lose all of $20 by the time you sell it off here on the forums. Consider it a rental fee to find out if it works for you or not.
BrandonSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #5
lazer-jock
Don't mess

Not too long ago, when things were still on backorder, I think you could have actually made money selling it. It is a crazy world that we live in...

My Gear List
lazer-jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #6
delsol9400

It would be cool to use power tracking... something the Quadra's or Profoto Acutes can't do.. anyone doing it with the Einsteins and Pocketwizards?
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #7
dmward
Cream of the Crop

There is now a 25W modeling light for the Einstein which makes using the Mini with AC3 a real option.
I loaned one of my Einsteins, along with VML and a knock-off deep octa to a friend for a shoot in New Orleans. He loved it for ease of moving around doing street portraits.

I think your idea is a great use for the Einstein and VML.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #8
delsol9400

How does the actual quality of light coming out of the Einsteins compare to the Profotos? Is it the general rule that it's not the equipment the photographer uses, but the photographer him / herself that makes great pics ?

Joe
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #9
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Joe,
I doubt there is anyone that could tell the difference between a shot made with brand A, B, C, D or E.

And just about everything today is done with modifiers on the light which further reduces the likelihood that someone could tell. Presuming that a common modifier could be placed on all the various lights.

Accept for Color temp variations, which change by power setting on all lights, light is light. Its the modifiers that may influence the "quality" of the light. And its the photographer that controls the light coming from the modifier by location, angle, etc.
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #10
hhuy888

my Einsteins and MVLs don't look as pretty as Profoto stuff, but reasonable priced, really easy to move around, set up and take down.
And most importantly, i have no problems for the last 3 months with the Einstein +MVL combo, besides i know AlienBees people are always going to be there for me if i need helps.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
hhuy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #11
kenyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsol9400 View Post
How does the actual quality of light coming out
"quality of light" ranks up there w/ "hey, you have a nice camera"

Choose the modifiers you want...make sure they work w/ the strobes you want...make sure the strobes you want do what you need.
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #12
dmward
Cream of the Crop

This is a test shot made by my friend using E640, VML for power and Pro Studio Solutions 36" octabox which is a close approximation to the Elinchrom 36" deep Octa. My recollection, and the catch light, is that there are no diffusion panels. The Pro Studio Solutions Octa comes with a 9" plastic disk that fits onto the umbrella like shaft to create a beauty disk like affect. i.e. no direct light from mono, everything is bounced off the walls of the octa.

My friend was trying to buy an Elinchrom Quadra and deep octa to take on the shoot in New Orleans. They were on back order everywhere he looked. I took him down to my car and handed him the E, VML and Octa. When he got back from NO he ordered his own.

As for quality of light, its great, but has nothing specifically to do with the Einstein. Its the light plus deep Octa with deflection disk, closeness to subject and no diffusion panels all combining to create the look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nick-1.jpg (38.0 KB, 323 views)
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #13
jdear

I havent used the einstein so no comment there.
I do have the profoto acuteb2 and after using the quadra and ranger rx (which I used to own) the acuteb2 LiFE kit is my ultimate location kit. I didnt like the mounting of the quadra, even the standard eli mounting is something poor after using other brands. (again I made do with the ranger rx for nearly 2years)

smaller mods and 600ws is plenty (which i prefer on wedding days anyway so.i can move around alot. Depends on your shooting style.
jdear is offline   Reply With Quote