FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Jun 2011 (Monday) 07:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

delsol9400
Joined Jul 2010
324 posts
Naples, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, looking for people's opinions here... I've been using an Elinchrom Quadra while shooting weddings. I'm down here in Sunny SWFL... and on bright days I find myself needing a little, but not much more than 400ws. I thought about switching to the Profoto Acute... But the weight of the acuteb head comes in at almost 4 pounds... which is about the same weight as the Einstein. What do you guys think about me using the Einstein and vagabond mini on weddings... too much to lug around?

Thanks,

Joe

Post #1, Jun 13, 2011 07:15:58

joecapasso.comexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/joecapassophotograph​yexternal link
TWITTER: @JoeCapassoPhoto
http://twitter.com/Joe​CapassoPhotoexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
eduardofrances
Joined Oct 2006
679 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

delsol9400 wrote in post #12584343external link
Ok, looking for people's opinions here... I've been using an Elinchrom Quadra while shooting weddings. I'm down here in Sunny SWFL... and on bright days I find myself needing a little, but not much more than 400ws. I thought about switching to the Profoto Acute... But the weight of the acuteb head comes in at almost 4 pounds... which is about the same weight as the Einstein. What do you guys think about me using the Einstein and vagabond mini on weddings... too much to lug around?

Thanks,

Joe

While the Einstein has some awesome features many people report a high rate of quality control related problems, just a while ago Mary Duprie bought 4 Einsteins and the 4 were dead.

While the mini saves on weight the problem is that as you can see in Rob Galbraith´s review it doubles the recycling time compared to other (and heavier) solutions (even when he embellishes the results with praises they are still abysmal IMHO).

The Quadra while nice featured has limitations like the adapter you have to get to use Elinchrom modifiers with the Quadra heads can only hold softboxes, octas, etc. up to 100 centimeters, bigger than that and it flexes (and it flexes quite a bit) this flex on the metal eventually means it could break, so you are limited with the size of octas, softoboxes, etc.

400ws can be adequate even in bright sun (depending of the distance from the subject and the modifier used) I have shot photos with BD´s and a Parabolic umbrella and underpowered the sun without much problem (at a good distance from the subject).

The Ranger RX isn´t much more expensive than the Quadra RX, and it is less heavy than the Profoto Acute, also the heads for the Ranger RX can handle the weight of big modifiers without problem.

However the biggest advantage of getting Profoto is that you can rent more profoto gear in most civilized cities of the world which is great to complement with more gear whenever you need to.

There are lots of things to consider in this decision, however if you need something lighter than the Acute I would go for the Ranger RX instead of the Quadra or the Einstein + Vagabond mini´s.

Post #2, Jun 13, 2011 08:01:06

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/external link :D

lazer-jock
Don't mess
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 posts
Lincoln, Nebraska
[MORE/SHARE]

eduardofrances wrote in post #12584473external link
While the Einstein has some awesome features many people report a high rate of quality control related problems, just a while ago Mary Duprie bought 4 Einsteins and the 4 were dead.

IIRC, there was a chorus of people saying that there were likely electrical problems in her building which largely fell on deaf ears. My take-away from that thread was that Einsteins may be a more finicky to extremely poor quality of power coming out of walls than the higher priced brands, but if you're running if off of a VML, there should be no problem. Others in the same thread will undoubtedly have taken away different messages, but that is what I gleaned from the conversation.

Post #3, Jun 13, 2011 11:12:10

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

BrandonSi
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,884 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

One good thing about buying a VML + Einstein setup is that if you try it out and decide you want to go a different direction, you'll probably lose all of $20 by the time you sell it off here on the forums. Consider it a rental fee to find out if it works for you or not.

Post #4, Jun 13, 2011 11:19:31

[ wwwexternal link·flickrexternal link]

lazer-jock
Don't mess
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 posts
Lincoln, Nebraska
[MORE/SHARE]

Not too long ago, when things were still on backorder, I think you could have actually made money selling it. It is a crazy world that we live in... :)

Post #5, Jun 13, 2011 11:27:23

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

sponsored links
delsol9400
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
324 posts
Naples, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

It would be cool to use power tracking... something the Quadra's or Profoto Acutes can't do.. anyone doing it with the Einsteins and Pocketwizards?

Post #6, Jun 13, 2011 12:26:39 as a reply to lazer-jock's post 59 minutes earlier.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

There is now a 25W modeling light for the Einstein which makes using the Mini with AC3 a real option.
I loaned one of my Einsteins, along with VML and a knock-off deep octa to a friend for a shoot in New Orleans. He loved it for ease of moving around doing street portraits.

I think your idea is a great use for the Einstein and VML.

Post #7, Jun 13, 2011 15:13:04

David | digifotografi tutorialsexternal link | dmwfotos websiteexternal link

delsol9400
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
324 posts
Naples, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

How does the actual quality of light coming out of the Einsteins compare to the Profotos? Is it the general rule that it's not the equipment the photographer uses, but the photographer him / herself that makes great pics ? :)

Joe

Post #8, Jun 13, 2011 17:19:35 as a reply to dmward's post 2 hours earlier.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Joe,
I doubt there is anyone that could tell the difference between a shot made with brand A, B, C, D or E.

And just about everything today is done with modifiers on the light which further reduces the likelihood that someone could tell. Presuming that a common modifier could be placed on all the various lights.

Accept for Color temp variations, which change by power setting on all lights, light is light. Its the modifiers that may influence the "quality" of the light. And its the photographer that controls the light coming from the modifier by location, angle, etc.

Post #9, Jun 13, 2011 17:27:24

hhuy888
Joined Mar 2010
991 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

my Einsteins and MVLs don't look as pretty as Profoto stuff, but reasonable priced, really easy to move around, set up and take down.
And most importantly, i have no problems for the last 3 months with the Einstein +MVL combo, besides i know AlienBees people are always going to be there for me if i need helps.

Post #10, Jun 13, 2011 18:13:54

hhuy

kenyee
Joined Feb 2009
981 posts
Boston, PRofMA
[MORE/SHARE]

delsol9400 wrote in post #12587410external link
How does the actual quality of light coming out

"quality of light" ranks up there w/ "hey, you have a nice camera" :rolleyes:

Choose the modifiers you want...make sure they work w/ the strobes you want...make sure the strobes you want do what you need.

Post #11, Jun 13, 2011 21:55:41

Pentax K20D, 77Ltd, 43Ltd, Sigma 17-70, 60-250/4, crapload of Strobist gear (SB28's, RP JrX Studios, Einsteins, WL, Speedo BD, softboxes, grids, etc.)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
7,127 posts
Metro Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

This is a test shot made by my friend using E640, VML for power and Pro Studio Solutions 36" octabox which is a close approximation to the Elinchrom 36" deep Octa. My recollection, and the catch light, is that there are no diffusion panels. The Pro Studio Solutions Octa comes with a 9" plastic disk that fits onto the umbrella like shaft to create a beauty disk like affect. i.e. no direct light from mono, everything is bounced off the walls of the octa.

My friend was trying to buy an Elinchrom Quadra and deep octa to take on the shoot in New Orleans. They were on back order everywhere he looked. I took him down to my car and handed him the E, VML and Octa. When he got back from NO he ordered his own.

As for quality of light, its great, but has nothing specifically to do with the Einstein. Its the light plus deep Octa with deflection disk, closeness to subject and no diffusion panels all combining to create the look.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #12, Jun 13, 2011 22:08:35

jdear
Joined Jul 2006
167 posts
Sydney / Wollongong
[MORE/SHARE]

I havent used the einstein so no comment there.
I do have the profoto acuteb2 and after using the quadra and ranger rx (which I used to own) the acuteb2 LiFE kit is my ultimate location kit. I didnt like the mounting of the quadra, even the standard eli mounting is something poor after using other brands. (again I made do with the ranger rx for nearly 2years)

smaller mods and 600ws is plenty (which i prefer on wedding days anyway so.i can move around alot. Depends on your shooting style.

Post #13, Jun 13, 2011 23:01:50 as a reply to dmward's post 53 minutes earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
EINSTEIN + VAGABOND MINI VS QUADRA
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES