Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Wildlife Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #1
camoface94

Default Yellowstone Settings

Ill be in Yellowstone in August, whats the best settings and lens for wildlife? I have a neutral, uv and polarizer filter...75-300mm lens. Tripod for stability. What settings and filter shoudl I use? Thanks for any suggestions!
camoface94 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #2
RikWriter
Goldmember

Default Re: Yellowstone Settings

My first suggestion is to rent a longer lens. 300mm isn't anywhere near long enough for most things in Yellowstone.
Second, I wouldn't use a filter at all on a telephoto in most situatons. With wildlife, you'll usually need all the light you can get.
And last, as far as settings go, I would keep it around f6.3-7.1 because you can never tell what orientation the animal will be in---nose on, side on, whatever---and you don't want half of him to be in focus and half out. Keep your shutter speed up to at least 1/300-1/400 and hopefully faster to avoid blurring the animal unless you're GOING for a motion blur for effect. Adjust ISO as needed.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
RikWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #3
camoface94

What's a better sized lens for this?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #4
camoface94

How big of deal would it be? Because I know those lens' are pretty expensive so hopefully I can get by without it.
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #5
RikWriter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoface94 View Post
What's a better sized lens for this?
Minimum of 400mm on the long end, but I would go with 500mm if possible. If you can't afford to rent a big prime like the 500mm (and I understand those are too expensive for most people to buy or even to rent), then try to get a Sigma 50-500. It's a pretty nice lens for the money and you should be able to find a reasonable deal on a rental.
If you can afford it though, I would definitely rent a 500mm f4 prime and a 1.4 teleconverter. (Along with a carbon fiber tripod and a gimbal head.) Hell, what I wind up doing is, when I am planning a trip to Yellowstone, I will start looking a couple months early and try to buy a used 500mm for as good a deal as I can find, then re-sell it after the trip. Since that lens holds its value pretty well, it usually costs me a lot less to do that than renting it.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #6
RikWriter
Goldmember

Quote:
How big of deal would it be? Because I know those lens' are pretty expensive so hopefully I can get by without it.
It's a big deal.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #7
RikWriter
Goldmember

Sigma should cost you less than $150 to rent if it's a week or so:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/cano...m-os-for-canon

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
Old 13th of June 2011 (Mon)   #8
TAPlank

Alot of people use a 100-400 Canon. Versatile lens for YStone. What I have used there for a few years now. With a prime you also need a GOOD tripod and head to support the lens weight. I'm not at that level so I go with my 100-400.

Those can be rented for less money then a prime too.

Last edited by TAPlank : 13th of June 2011 (Mon) at 13:13.
TAPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #9
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

from what ive researched and seen with my limited wildlife photography these suggestions are spot on.
400mm is the shortest you'll want to go.
however, if you can get your hands on a 300f4L IS and a 1.4 teleconverter that is over 600mm and a good picture.

I had the 75-300 and could never get a decent picture with it. I wouldnt want to rely on it for a trip to one of the best parks in the United States. Especially with how far you will be from some things.

The 300f4L IS and teleconverter along with many other lenses, and cameras are available for rent for a nominal fee from www.lensrentals.com
check them out and reserve a lens.
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #10
RikWriter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesvw View Post
from what ive researched and seen with my limited wildlife photography these suggestions are spot on.
400mm is the shortest you'll want to go.
however, if you can get your hands on a 300f4L IS and a 1.4 teleconverter that is over 600mm and a good picture.
Over 400mm anyway.
But I think I would still go with the Sigma 50-500.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #11
LarryD

Quote:
You'll be fine.. What you don't want is to get a different lens set-up that you're are not familiar with and not get any decent shots at all..

Elk and Bison are abundant and you can get close enough for good photography.. You will also be able to shoot the great scenery, hot springs and geysers..

You will see plenty of wildlife and much of it will be too far away.. but if you aren't already an accomplished wildlife shooter, this is not the time do decide that you are one.. Get a good taste, some great distant shots, some experience under your belt, then go back in a few years.. they'll all still be there..

This is a 300 on a 5d (no crop factor to help) and I completely screwed up the exposure.. You'll be able to do better..

Some Snap-Shots
http://500px.com/LarryD
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #12
RikWriter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
You'll be fine.. What you don't want is to get a different lens set-up that you're are not familiar with and not get any decent shots at all..
Not very good advice. Who knows when or if he will get back to Yellowstone? What if it's the only time? The techniques he needs to use with a 75-300 lens to get good shots are not that different from what he would have to use with a 100-400 or a 50-500. I personally would be PISSED if I wasted a visit to Yellowstone taking shots of just bison and elk.
Hell, my very first visit to Yellowstone, NEVER having done much wildlife photography before, I got these images:

And all using a 100-400 lens.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #13
LarryD

Based on the equipment stated and questions asked, It's good advice and I'll stick with it..

My answer may be completely different if it was an experienced outdoor photographer asking..

Some Snap-Shots
http://500px.com/LarryD
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #14
RikWriter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
Based on the equipment stated and questions asked, It's good advice and I'll stick with it..

My answer may be completely different if it was an experienced outdoor photographer asking..
I wasn't an experienced outdoor photographer when I took those pictures. We learn by doing.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
Old 16th of June 2011 (Thu)   #15
camoface94

Ok guys instead of arguing, maybe some pointers on settings for different situations, waterfalls, sunsets, mountains, rivers, etc