Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 17 Jun 2011 (Friday) 15:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

website opinions! bring the heat!

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010
portland oregon
Jun 17, 2011 15:51 |  #1

http://neaphotography.​com/external link

let me know what you like , hate, makes me look stupid. any comment will help.

i would love some feedback, and suggestions ! :D

Right now I am using a theme and wordpress, but am going to try to learn to create my own over the summer.
Thanks in advanced
and please be brutally honest! (if i can be brutally honest, then i can take it)

follow me 500pxexternal link || Facebook Pageexternal link || Flickrexternal link || Website & Blogexternal link ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
Joined Aug 2005
Atwater, CA
Jun 17, 2011 16:08 |  #2

Good choice using Wordpress and another plus for NOT having music. I like the "slideshow" on your home page, but your "Male Portraits" Really? I'd find another photo.

Are you planning on sticking with Wordpress and just designing your own theme over the summer?

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bedojo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010
portland oregon
Jun 17, 2011 16:12 |  #3

yeah music i hate it. Flash... i hate it.
Male portraits... lol definitely going to be changing soon... i have a few guys lined up for this summer. so far i have only shot girls.

not sure yet about sticking with wordpress or not. during the summer, going be trying lynda.com for css and html5 info. would really like to create one exactly how i want it.

i like you seo page, i saw it a while ago and helped me get my other business, (motorcycle rentals), to appear on the first page of google :D. and in past 30 days got over 2000 hits , and 300 people to visit the site.
im trying to do that with my photography page, but google places is going take up to 2 weeks to varify adress >.<

when i get back to work in 2 hours i am going to add some more text to the pages, and add more tags. i need be visible! haha

follow me 500pxexternal link || Facebook Pageexternal link || Flickrexternal link || Website & Blogexternal link ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

Hikin ­ Mike
Joined Aug 2005
Atwater, CA
Jun 17, 2011 17:44 |  #4

If it weren't for the fact that I spent a LOT of time designing my own website/gallery, I'd be using a Wordpress platform. Switching now wouldn't be smart since I'm "established" via Google. You can do a lot with WP. I use WP for my blog. I even threw together two Wordpress sites for my two kids...LOL!

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 17, 2011 18:42 |  #5

I agree using WP can be very helpful. Most of the changes you need to make can be done with CSS changes inside WP.

Site looks good.

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Muscat, Oman
Jun 18, 2011 00:48 |  #6

Like the simplicity.

There's no need to really develop your own website the WP CMS is pretty handy and by the time you're done learning, you might already be well established in search engines. I think what Mike was hinting at and what I suggest is simply working on your own theme instead.

Started off developing a theme for WP2 then gave up and now only recently started over and while it was annoying at first (I'm no programmer) it's decently structured and not a pain to work with. It's actually very customizable and the only problem you will raelly have is not being able to settle on a design because you suddenly figured out you can do more than what you just finished doing.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.comexternal link
facebookexternal link | twitterexternal link | flickrexternal link | Google+external link | GearList

Hikin ­ Mike
Joined Aug 2005
Atwater, CA
Jun 18, 2011 03:03 |  #7

tman2782 wrote in post #12613810external link
Like the simplicity.

There's no need to really develop your own website the WP CMS is pretty handy and by the time you're done learning, you might already be well established in search engines. I think what Mike was hinting at and what I suggest is simply working on your own theme instead.

Started off developing a theme for WP2 then gave up and now only recently started over and while it was annoying at first (I'm no programmer) it's decently structured and not a pain to work with. It's actually very customizable and the only problem you will raelly have is not being able to settle on a design because you suddenly figured out you can do more than what you just finished doing.

Yep. I downloaded the Hybridexternal link (parent theme) framework and downloaded the child theme Leviathanexternal link then customized my blog to fit my website. The more that I learn, the more that I don't have any idea how to do it "correctly"...LOL!

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,921 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Jun 19, 2011 12:03 |  #8

I really like the theme, it's very similar to one that I bought, but I actually like how clean yours is. I question the male portraits also. Do you really need a male and female gallery, why not just do a portrait section? You could actually combine all three sections you have and have galleries for other things, like personal stuff, nature..whatever else you do.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Jun 21, 2011 11:31 |  #9

Want to see more of the redhead.

Sync
233 posts
Joined Feb 2010
UK
Jun 21, 2011 11:36 |  #10

I like the cleanliness; and the fact that I can actually look at your photos without all the usual obstacles that people so often inexplicably insist on throwing in my way.

If you start adding more photos, will you be able to add sub-albums under the main Male/Female/Beauty categories?

flickrexternal link | EOS 5D | EOS 1Ds Mk II| Speedlite 430EX II | Bowens Gemini 400/400 | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/4L IS

bedojo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010
portland oregon
Jun 21, 2011 11:44 |  #11

with this layout if i add more albums, i can make it so it goes to another page, similar to the homepage, and have sub albums in there, right now it isn't setup for that but it wouldn't be too hard. just a mater of creating new pages/moving posts.

haha the red head is awesome ~ but there is a sad reality behind the photo... (she really has brown hair about 3 inches long :O )

vcrampton
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Orlando, Florida
Jun 21, 2011 14:26 as a reply to bedojo's post |  #12

The colors are good. It is simplistic, which is always a good quality. Plus, you have it linked to your social networking sites, so it will help to get the word around. It will do it's purpose well, but there are acouple things i saw that you should take a look at. These are not massive overhauls by any means, nor am I the know all end all, but I though I would toss in my two cents.

1. It's always important to have a menu visible upon opening a webpage. The first thing I had to do was to scroll down and look for a navigation menu. That's a no-no.

2. The expansion menu is a good tool, but only if you use the right images. For instance, before the menu expansion the photos don't really give any indication about their associated gallery. You don't really get an indication of what each gallery contains until you hover over the menu. It probably doesn't seem like a big deal, and it might even seem somewhat cool, but you never want to keep your visitors guessing when it comes to navigation. I'm not saying toss out the expansion menu, but I am saying you should use some different photos for the expansion menu. Right now, if you look at your site the expansion menu (before expansion) looks like four random fragments of different photos. Those photos (before expansion) should give some definition of the associated gallery. If the left side of the photo is visible before expansion, then use photos that are weighted to the left. I hope that makes sense. :confused: In other words use a photo that will show the subject of the associated galleries even before a visitor hovers over the menu.

Also, If someone views your site with an older browser, the expansion menu probably won't work. What happens then? If the photos don't have a word on them, plus the photos don't give a good indication regarding the contents of the associated gallery, plus the menu won't expand, then your expansion menu becomes a liability.

3. On your contact tab you write, "it (photography) is not my job..." In my opinion, this makes it sound like you are not a professional, and you don't make money from photography. Which is fine if that's what you are going for, but if you want people to contact you, I would also assume that you would want some of them to pay you.

4. You might want to change the name of your "Beauty Portfolio." It might sound synical, but I automatically wondered if there were any beautiful women in the female portraits gallery. Modeling Portfolio or Studio Portfolio would work, but something that doesn't detract from the other ladies on the site.

Sports Shooter Profileexternal link
Orlando Wedding Photographerexternal link

bedojo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010
portland oregon
Jun 21, 2011 14:51 |  #13

thanks!
i been looking at the code to try to change the images on the menu... if can't figure it out ill end up using different images. that was one the first things i noticed also.

thanks for the catch on the beauty portfolio, totally agree,

just wondering what size of screen are you on? (resolution)

vcrampton
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Orlando, Florida
Jun 21, 2011 15:07 |  #14

bedojo wrote in post #12633594external link
just wondering what size of screen are you on? (resolution)

I'm on my work computer so I'm on a smaller 17" monitor. Resolution is 1024x768.

Sports Shooter Profileexternal link
Orlando Wedding Photographerexternal link

max3k
780 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Jun 22, 2011 10:04 |  #15

whats the point of separating male and female portraits? You only have 1 in the male section and the female section is all of the same lady.

5D Mark II, 70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and some other stuff
Facebook Pageexternal link
http://www.RyanJonesPh​oto.comexternal link
My Photo Blogexternal link

sponsored links

2,196 views & 0 likes for this thread
website opinions! bring the heat!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.