rssfhs
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2003
2,707 posts
Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello everyone! One of these days, I would like to upgrade my 300D to something
with more resolution. I do mostly landscape shots and my camera works great for
web display or for prints up to A3 size, but anything larger than that just doesn't
cut it.

Most of the people I shoot with are still using medium format cameras and
claim it will still be along time before digital cameras reach the same quality
level. Do they really know what they are talking about, or are they just ignorant
or too conservative to accept change?

I am keenly interested in the 5D, but $3,000 is a lot to shell out and then not be
satisfied with the results.

The guy in the camera store of course says that even the 20D has surpassed 35mm
film and is nearly equal to medium format, probably because he wants to sell me
one...

Can anyone out there convince me that I will be happy with my purchase, or should
I just go out and buy a used Mamiya or something instead? Thanks for your feedback!

Post #1, Oct 16, 2005 07:16:48

Craig
Canon 5d mk II, various lenses and accessories
See my gallery at:
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com ....mhtml?id=56114&rid​=56114external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

What is the end product you want to produce with the new camera?

I'd say that sales person is feeding you a line of BS when he says the 20D output is approaching MF quality. The 20D is a great camera (I own one), but it isn't going to produce really sharp photos - when viewed up close - much bigger than 16" x 20", and even that is a stretch. The resolution of the 5D isn't all that much better than the 20D.

Post #2, Oct 16, 2005 08:10:42

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

cdesperado
Joined Aug 2005
566 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with what Skip said about the 20D not being anywhere near medium format quality; However, the resolution of the 5D is much better than that of the 20D (not that the 20D is lacking).

The 20D has 8.2 million pixels... the 5D has 12.7 million pixels. This means the 5D has more pixels than any other Canon camera, except the $8000 1DS MKII.

If you want medium format quality, you will need a medium format camera (at least, for now...)

For your digital comparison pleasure.
http://www.dpreview.co​m ...20d,canon_eos10d&sh​ow=allexternal link

Post #3, Oct 16, 2005 08:31:50

rssfhs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2003
2,707 posts
Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote:
What is the end product you want to produce with the new camera?

Mainly for web use, but also for an occasional print enlargement of up to about 24x30.

Post #4, Oct 16, 2005 08:48:00 as a reply to SkipD's post 37 minutes earlier.

Craig
Canon 5d mk II, various lenses and accessories
See my gallery at:
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com ....mhtml?id=56114&rid​=56114external link

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,674 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am very picky and conservative when it comes to quality. I usually don't enlarge my negatives more than about 10x, so I limit 35mm to 8x12, 2 1/4 negative can go up to 20x24, and for larger I shoot 4x5. But after seeing my first batch of 18x24 prints from my 5D I figure I will be using it and my 4x5 from now on. Of course, alot depends on your post-processing skills and the quality of your service bureau/printer.

Post #5, Oct 16, 2005 08:56:25

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

rssfhs wrote:
Mainly for web use, but also for an occasional print enlargement of up to about 24x30.

If it is primarily for web display the 5D (or pretty much any dslr) would do just fine. I haven't enlarged anything from my 5D yet but I have gone as large as 20X30 off of my 1DMKII and the quality is excellent even up close.

I have a Pentax 6X7 and a Mamiya RB67 and quite honestly they sit idle. I hardly ever use them. Yes, they produce great quality images but unless I know I am going to shoot something to go very large it is not worth it. Of course if you have lots of cash you could get a medium format with a Phase One back, now that would be sweet.

Post #6, Oct 16, 2005 09:20:24 as a reply to rssfhs's post 32 minutes earlier.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
1,571 posts
Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

My own opion only, even 1DsMKII can't catch MF with cheap FUJI Reala CS120 film.

May be it is limited by lens design, DR or resolution, I am not sure. And don't bother to find out. Just wait couple year cheap "digital what ever" will catch up the MF anyway. I guess....

At the mean time, live with it or you will miss out the game.

Post #7, Oct 16, 2005 09:49:46 as a reply to ssim's post 29 minutes earlier.

Jim_T
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Digital photography has caught up with medium format.. If you want to shoot medium format digital you can buy the equipment today.

Outfits like Leaf make digital backs for several medium format cameras. The reason they aren't more popular is that they are far more expensive than film.. (The 22 Megapixel Aptus22 is about 30,000 bucks).. They've recently announced a 33 MP back.. You can impress your friends if you have a really thick wallet :)

http://www.leafamerica​.com/20000.htmexternal link

Post #8, Oct 16, 2005 10:18:25

Hellashot
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,617 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

cdesperado wrote:
I agree with what Skip said about the 20D not being anywhere near medium format quality; However, the resolution of the 5D is much better than that of the 20D (not that the 20D is lacking).

The 20D has 8.2 million pixels... the 5D has 12.7 million pixels. This means the 5D has more pixels than any other Canon camera, except the $8000 1DS MKII.

If you want medium format quality, you will need a medium format camera (at least, for now...)

For your digital comparison pleasure.
http://www.dpreview.co​m ...20d,canon_eos10d&sh​ow=allexternal link

It has more pixels, but they are bigger pixels than i the 20D. The 2 main advantages of the 5D over the 20D is being able to have truly super-wide FOV and it has spot metering.

Post #9, Oct 16, 2005 10:26:18 as a reply to cdesperado's post 1 hour earlier.

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

soupdragon
Account removed at users request
Joined Apr 2005
963 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Even though I owned a Hasselblad for many years coupled with a 40mm f4 CF for landscapes, if I had to make a choice now between a 5D and a medium format camera, I'd go 5D.

Post #10, Oct 16, 2005 11:13:37 as a reply to Hellashot's post 47 minutes earlier.

SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,231 posts
No. Calif.
[MORE/SHARE]

rssfhs wrote:

If you want to produce mainly web output, pretty much any decent DLSR will do. No browser, and no computer monitor can come close to displaying the detail and crispness of even a 6Mp 300D image (properly focused and exposed of course). Video resolution is years behind printed resolution, which is lagging DSLR resolution by an order of magnitude.

Post #11, Oct 16, 2005 11:47:17 as a reply to rssfhs's post 2 hours earlier.

SWPhoto-Imaging

sponsored links
buze
Joined Jun 2005
706 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Funny that, just got myself a Bronica S2A and I'm now shooting 6x6 for landscapes on Provia 100F and get that scanned at 4800dpi. 8MP is clearly too small for detailed landscapes, I find myself seeing the interpolation in prints as small as 6x9.
12MP is just a couple hundred pixels more in width and the same in height. It's barely noticeable.

And it's FUN to shoot a camera that is older than me ! I use the 350D to frame & shoot, I then copy the settings on the Bronica, reframe and shoot. Easy; I don't even need a tripod.

IMAGE: http://oomz.net/scaled/bs2a.jpg

Post #12, Oct 16, 2005 12:50:35

5DII - 350D ; Bronica S2A, Leica IIIc&M2, Rolleiflex T etc!
Canon: 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135 f2 L, 200 f2.8 L MkI, 70-300 DO
Sigma: 30 f1.4 EX, 18-200, 18-50 f2.8 EX, 28-135 Macro
Other: About 60+ Zeiss, Pentax Takumar, Meyer, Pentacon etc! http://forum.manualfoc​us.orgexternal link

BTBeilke
Joined Aug 2005
827 posts
Bettendorf, IA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hellashot wrote:
It has more pixels, but they are bigger pixels than i the 20D.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Higher resolution, especially 50% higher resolution, is a significant improvement. And, larger photo sites (pixels) are also an improvement. Don't confuse the telephoto/crop factor/pixel density discussion for science. All that means is that in certain specific situations (telephoto), the 20D may be a better choice than the 5D. Nonetheless, all other things being equal, larger photo sites have improved signal-to-noise ratios (IOW, less noise) and improved dynamic range.

Post #13, Oct 16, 2005 13:19:38 as a reply to Hellashot's post 2 hours earlier.

Blane
Gear List

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
8,108 posts
Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

HKFEVER wrote:
My own opion only, even 1DsMKII can't catch MF with cheap FUJI Reala CS120 film.

I really like Reala, it's a pretty nice negative film.

Post #14, Oct 16, 2005 15:43:44 as a reply to HKFEVER's post 5 hours earlier.

Bob
SmugMugexternal link | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Peter ­ White
Joined Aug 2005
62 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Bring a CF card, your favorite EOS lens and your tripod to the camera store and make a few images. Take the CF card home, make some prints and look at the results.

Go back to the camera store and pick up the lens and tripod that you forgot to take home the day before. ;-)a

Post #15, Oct 16, 2005 20:24:32

LIST NEARBY THREADS
18,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D vs. Medium Format
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES