Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of June 2011 (Sun)   #1
gnaw

Default 3rd-Party Flashes: Cheap vs. Expensive

I'm looking to do indoor photography soon and I'm deciding where I should put the money. I've decided to either go cheap or go expensive and 3rd party is obvious choice in terms of affordability or additional features (580EX II vs 58 AF-2).

I could either go with the YN-560 for ~$70.

or

I could go with the Mecablitz Metz AF-2 for ~$400.

I'm totally a beginner at flash photography, but it's vital that I invest in the appropriate gear. I shoot at small non-profit events and the Metz isn't exactly in my budget, but I can always save up if it truly is a good flash.
gnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of June 2011 (Sun)   #2
dmward
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: 3rd-Party Flashes: Cheap vs. Expensive

If you are doing events, then ETTL is probably a valuable tool.
That means more expensive hot shoe flashes.
The manual hot shoe flashes are nice for table top and other situations where the subject is a known distance and will be stationary.

Off camera manual works fine, but on-camera or bracket for events, ETTL is just about a requirement.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of June 2011 (Sun)   #3
gnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
The manual hot shoe flashes are nice for table top and other situations where the subject is a known distance and will be stationary.

Off camera manual works fine, but on-camera or bracket for events, ETTL is just about a requirement.
Do you suggest another flash instead of the Metz flash? I'm thinking it's too expensive for me at the moment and I'll live with another flash that'll do ETTL using during indoor events. (BTW, I have the Canon 60D)
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #4
ceriltheblade
Goldmember

what's your budget?
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #5
emdzey01

Wait for the YN-565 to release if you're on a budget. You need to start with an ETTL hotshoe flash when doing events.

Of course, Canon's flagship 580EXII is the best decision you'll make, or crank up your ISO and live with the 430EXII.
emdzey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #6
ppchkn

i would go with the 580EXII if it gonna to be used with clients... if you like to make tests and grab the loop on external lighting... i would go with the 580EXII and a YN-XXX as a second light.

i have a YN-460, i am REALLY hoping that i can get bees this week to use it off camera... and the piggy bank keeps saving for the 580EXII, love that strobe!
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #7
gnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdzey01 View Post
Wait for the YN-565 to release if you're on a budget. You need to start with an ETTL hotshoe flash when doing events.

Of course, Canon's flagship 580EXII is the best decision you'll make, or crank up your ISO and live with the 430EXII.
The YN-565 will have ETTL? How does it compare budget/features wise to the Canon flagship?

How can I get one in Canada? Will they be available on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppchkn View Post
i would go with the 580EXII if it gonna to be used with clients... if you like to make tests and grab the loop on external lighting... i would go with the 580EXII and a YN-XXX as a second light.

i have a YN-460, i am REALLY hoping that i can get bees this week to use it off camera... and the piggy bank keeps saving for the 580EXII, love that strobe!
I'm still an amateur... but my services will be used for non-profits so they need to be adequate. As a student, I'm obviously on a budget.

Can the YN-460 be triggered wirelessly with 60D as a slave? How do I use two flashes? Do I get someone/tripod to hold it up or is there a camera bracket for better mobility?

Last edited by gnaw : 20th of June 2011 (Mon) at 04:09.
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #8
phreeky
Goldmember

A 2nd hand 420EX must go for pretty cheap on ebay by now. No manual control but should work fine for you, plus can act as a wireless slave too.
phreeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #9
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post

I'll agree, get at least one ETTL flash like the Yongnuo
YN 465 or YN467, etc.
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #10
BEyslerPhotography

http://www.nissindigital.com/en/Di866-1.html

Nissin flash, has full TTL capability, including wireless on both systems. a PC port, a house hold port, and a built in optical slave... Amazing flash for only 200$.

That being said, I shoot full manual for everything using old Nikon flashes and pocket wizards on my 5d II
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #11
gnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEyslerPhotography View Post
http://www.nissindigital.com/en/Di866-1.html

Nissin flash, has full TTL capability, including wireless on both systems. a PC port, a house hold port, and a built in optical slave... Amazing flash for only 200$.

That being said, I shoot full manual for everything using old Nikon flashes and pocket wizards on my 5d II
Oh my goodness! LOOK AT THAT COLOUR LCD SCREEN!

This is so much prettier and intuitive than the YN, Metz or Canon! BUY BUY BUY!
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #12
archer1960
Goldmember

Vivitar 383 would be another ETTL option, for ~$140
T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.
archer1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #13
ppchkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaw View Post
Can the YN-460 be triggered wirelessly with 60D as a slave? How do I use two flashes? Do I get someone/tripod to hold it up or is there a camera bracket for better mobility?

1.- no, the 60D come with a wireless trigger, but only works with canon speedlights

2.- you can sinchronize the 580-430 -canon- with the camera, and put the YN-XXX in slave mode, it will fire with the light of the other flashes (if you grab two YN-XXX, you will need wireless triggers for better -and outdoors- performance)

3.- you can use the YN-XXX in the hot shoe on the camera, if you get the wireless triggers, you can use a tripod, person, rock, chair, tree... etc etc

i think that for the price and because you are new in lighting, you can use the YNīs, nice performance, cheap, and they look pretty decent in real person
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #14
gnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppchkn View Post
1.- no, the 60D come with a wireless trigger, but only works with canon speedlights

2.- you can sinchronize the 580-430 -canon- with the camera, and put the YN-XXX in slave mode, it will fire with the light of the other flashes (if you grab two YN-XXX, you will need wireless triggers for better -and outdoors- performance)

3.- you can use the YN-XXX in the hot shoe on the camera, if you get the wireless triggers, you can use a tripod, person, rock, chair, tree... etc etc

i think that for the price and because you are new in lighting, you can use the YNīs, nice performance, cheap, and they look pretty decent in real person
Thank you so much for you in-depth explanation.

I'm just curious why on earth would Canon price the 580ex ii at $500? I would really like to weight my options before handing Canon $500 of my hard-earned money.

Can any flash be the master flash on the camera mount with an external transmitter? I'm looking to maybe get a YN, Nissin or other cheap 3rd party flash that can do ETTL. I'm thinking of also getting fill flashes to be triggered as slaves.

Which inexpensive flash has ETTL and is powerful & reliable?
Old 20th of June 2011 (Mon)   #15
ppchkn

no problem =) hope you donīt struggle so much trying to understand me lol

the 580EXII is a sturdy, BIG, heavy, and kick a** strobe, and i think -because i havenīt research a lot on it- that the charge loops to be ready again are REALLY fast, you have more control over it, and it can work with the 430īs as master trigger, and, of course, you have ETTL by canon for canon -i think the batteries got more life from him... something like that-

itīs easy to say that itīs the best flash for a canon because... canon only have two -big- strobes with their brand on it, i have own a 430 before, and i always drool around the 580ex ii

annnnnnnnnnd yes, you have the master with the wireless trigger and the others can be slaves, this works really great in indoor location, BUT outdoors this can be really hard to do, because the sun can overpower the flash and the slaves will do not fire

note: donīt trust too much on me, i am new to external flash...ing =p too, but as you can see, i have been doing my homework

EDIT: maybe you will find these helpful:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0408/04..._efs_flash.asp (bottom)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...hp?product=314

Last edited by ppchkn : 20th of June 2011 (Mon) at 13:49.
ppchkn is offline   Reply With Quote