Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 28 Jun 2011 (Tuesday) 14:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Markins Head - where can I get one in the UK?

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Jun 28, 2011 14:35 |  #1

I'm interested in a Markins ballhead (probably a Q3). Anyone know if there is UK distributor, or if anyone in the UK carries stock?

Thanks

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jun 28, 2011 18:56 |  #2

This is a post I just made on another thread:
"Have a look at the TRIOPO RS3 - it is far more than adequate for my 600 F4, weighs 250gram and costs £30 (UK). This little ball head simply shows how bendy my Gitzos are! I tried it against a couple of Arcas and 2 Manfrotto Hydraulic heads - suffice to say that the owners of the other ball heads were NOT happy!"
They are so cheap - just try one for fun!
Seriously I am unable to test it properly as it holds a 600 F4 + 1D4 about the same as anything else I have got.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Jun 28, 2011 19:44 |  #3

After a quick look on the MarkinsAmerica.com website it looks like they have a European site.

http://www.markinseuro​pe.com/en/index.phpexternal link, if you click the Online Shop button it takes you to PhotoProShop.com. I believe you can orderly directly from Markins too, not sure which would be cheaper.

-Nick | Gear | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Jun 29, 2011 10:42 |  #4

Thanks Nick - was hoping to avoid buying from overseas (I'll get screwed in import taxes and currency conversion!) but looks like it's my only option.

Cheers

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Jun 29, 2011 10:44 |  #5

Thanks John - I'll take a look.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jun 29, 2011 17:09 |  #6

DarthSparky wrote in post #12677016external link
Thanks John - I'll take a look.

Don't be fooled by it's appearance or specification, both will lead you to opposite conclusions! It appears to be a cheap Chinese ball head punted out at a low price for those who don't know any better. From the specifications you would think this is impossible - namely a 250 gram head which will support 20KG - suggests unrivalled quality!
The truth is somwhere in between. You can see the price compromises in the fact that there is only one lever for all functions and that it's a crappy piece of plastic - does not inspire confidence! This rubber grip on the top likes to go wandering - so superglue it! However the movement of the ball, on the three examples I have tried, is simply the smoothest I have tried on any ball head.
At times the lack of a separate pan lock can be a pain, but I can live with it. What sets this head apart from any other I have tried (including a few costing £350+) is the lockup, the little plastic locking lever is far more than adequate. For a giggle I thought I would see if the lockup was as good as I thought, so I mounted my (then) 400 F2.8 (original 6.1 kilo version) as far out of balance as I could and attached all my 3 extension tubes + 1.4 +2x converters, oh yes and a gripped 50D on that lot. I gave the locking lever light/medium pressure then got ready to catch my gear! Result? well carbon Gitzos are bendy - this head is not.:cool:

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

815 views & 0 likes for this thread
Markins Head - where can I get one in the UK?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.