Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 07 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 10:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Bringing a digital camera on a plane kills pixels? Read more on PhotoRumors.com: htt

DoughnutPhoto
Joined Aug 2014
the Netherlands
Jan 24, 2015 07:58 |  #46

Well, I've sent an SD card to space (on a student project). In such an environment, you do run the risk of data failure and other failures in the sorts of what is mentioned here. To be exact, in space you can expect impact of tiny particles at any random spot on your electronics and they can cause a short circuit. So you make systems 3x redundant.

On earth the risk is much lower. There are so many electronics on an airplane that we should've known the risks of gamma radiation by now. There is no radiation shielding, just EMC (electromagnetic) shielding on the electronics to protect from noise and inaccurate measurements.

Why would image sensors be extremely different from other precision electronics? Why don't we have our forums filled with complaints of deminished image quality from all the travel photographers?

On the other hand, film camera's do suffer from the x-ray scanners as it causes a color cast on the exposures. That's a whole different thing...

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

golfcharlie
102 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Europe
Aug 29, 2015 14:02 |  #47

Interesting dicussion.
I'm an airline pilot flying the Boeing 737, we're typically operating at altitudes of 34 to 41,000 feet.
I take my Canon 6D almost every day at work.
It goes through X-Ray scanners, suffers constant vibrations and (some) firm landings, changes in temperature and air pressure and receives - just like me - lots of radiations.
After about a year and 800 hours in the air, a mere 30 000 photos later it is still working perfectly with maybe 2 or 3 dead pixels.

Flickr www.flickr.com/golfcha​rlie232/ (external link)
6D | Samyang 14 f2.8 | Samyang 20 f1.8 | Sigma 35 f1.4 A | Canon 85 f1.8 | Canon 135 f2 L
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye | 24-105 f4L IS

EOS-Mike
Joined Oct 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Mar 30, 2016 10:21 |  #48

I don't have a problem flying with my camera, but it does add more soreness to my arms. ߘ

Canon 6D, 24-105L, 50mm 1.8 stm

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,269 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Mar 30, 2016 10:28 |  #49

Rim-shot.

Mark

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by iazybandit.
Apr 22, 2016 14:54 |  #50

"This is why all major manufacturers are shipping cameras by sea and this is considered an industry secret because of the fear of lawsuits."

LOL. Such a bunch of bull. Manufacturers ship via sea because they can ship bulk shipments in containers and its much cheaper. Try fitting that much amount into a plane with other shipments. Not to mention weight limitations.

So I guess photographers who travel should be taking boats to their locations? Or ship their gear 1 month before the shoot so that when they land, the gear would be waiting for them?

Don't bring your smartphone, tablets or laptops either on the plane.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

17,466 views & 2 likes for this thread
Bringing a digital camera on a plane kills pixels? Read more on PhotoRumors.com: htt
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.