Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of October 2005 (Wed)   #1
tim
Light Bringer

Default HSS outside at midday, fill flash, bracket required?

I'm shooting some wedding pictures on a beach at midday this weekend. Two*20D/range of lenses 12-200mm, 580EX/550EX on high speed sync as fill flash. My question is do I need to bother with a flash bracket for these shots? I suspect since there'll be so much light the pupils will be very small and the chance of red eye is minimal, compared with the hastle of using a bracket.

I'm not so worried about the quality of the light in this situation (ie direct flash), but opinions on this from anyone with experience is also welcome.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of October 2005 (Wed)   #2
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: HSS outside at midday, fill flash, bracket required?

If you flop the camera over into vertical/portrait orientation, aren't you going to have the same "shadow on the side" problem that you would have indoors? I agree that with a lot of daylight around, it won't be as much of a problem as indoors.

I always look at it this way: What would it hurt?

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of October 2005 (Wed)   #3
tim
Light Bringer

I don't imagine there'll be anything behind them for shadows to fall on, but that's a good point. I'm more worried about red eye and how much it'd slow my workflow down when I correct it.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of October 2005 (Wed)   #4
PacAce
Cream of the Crop

I don't think red eye would be a problem outdoors during midday unless you happen to be shooting while a solar eclipse was occurring above you. Better check the weather report just in case.
Old 19th of October 2005 (Wed)   #5
KaplanMultimedia
Goldmember

The red-eye phenomenon happens when the pupils are large and dilated because of dim light levels. Personally, I have never seen red-eye from shots taken during the middle of the day, not even with P&S cameras which are notorious for this problem because of the flash being too close to the lens. Also your flash is elevated several inches higher from the lens than a typical P&S camera which also helps. So in my humble opinion, you shouldn't have a problem unless it gets very dark. For instance, if you shoot in a covered corridor around sunset.

FYI, this problem is usually worse with small children and animals.

Good luck!
EOS 5D MIII - EOS 7D - 70-200 f2.8L IS - EF 1.4X - 24-105mm f/4L IS - Bowens Gemini 400 2-Light Kit - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens - Tokina 11-16 f2.8mm - (2) Canon 580EX flashes
KaplanMultimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #6
Wazza
Cream of the Crop

We're now shooting on a beach? Or is this something else you've got on as well.

As Kaplan said, you won't get redeye outside in bright conditions.
Wazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #7
tim
Light Bringer

The "creative" pictures are on a beach, outside government house, on the wharf, and maybe aronud parliment, depending on the weather.
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #8
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
I'm shooting some wedding pictures on a beach at midday this weekend. Two*20D/range of lenses 12-200mm, 580EX/550EX on high speed sync as fill flash. ..
No opinion but a question - is HSS used in this situation to allow the higher shutter speed needed to control ambient light in a typical beach setting?

Titus213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #9
tim
Light Bringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus213
No opinion but a question - is HSS used in this situation to allow the higher shutter speed needed to control ambient light in a typical beach setting?
Pretty much. Because i'll be shooting with wide apertures on a bright day the shutter speed will probably be faster than 1/250th, which is the fastest the 20D can use standard flash at. HSS lets you use any shutter speed. The EOS flash bible has a great explaination of how it works and why, and has to do with the way the shutter works.