HSS outside at midday, fill flash, bracket required?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 19 Oct 2005 (Wednesday) 15:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm shooting some wedding pictures on a beach at midday this weekend. Two*20D/range of lenses 12-200mm, 580EX/550EX on high speed sync as fill flash. My question is do I need to bother with a flash bracket for these shots? I suspect since there'll be so much light the pupils will be very small and the chance of red eye is minimal, compared with the hastle of using a bracket.

I'm not so worried about the quality of the light in this situation (ie direct flash), but opinions on this from anyone with experience is also welcome.

Post #1, Oct 19, 2005 15:50:07

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

If you flop the camera over into vertical/portrait orientation, aren't you going to have the same "shadow on the side" problem that you would have indoors? I agree that with a lot of daylight around, it won't be as much of a problem as indoors.

I always look at it this way: What would it hurt?

---Bob Gross---

Post #2, Oct 19, 2005 15:57:06

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't imagine there'll be anything behind them for shadows to fall on, but that's a good point. I'm more worried about red eye and how much it'd slow my workflow down when I correct it.

Post #3, Oct 19, 2005 15:59:24

Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think red eye would be a problem outdoors during midday unless you happen to be shooting while a solar eclipse was occurring above you. Better check the weather report just in case. ;)

Post #4, Oct 19, 2005 16:11:36

...Leo

KaplanMultimedia
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
2,775 posts
Florida, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The red-eye phenomenon happens when the pupils are large and dilated because of dim light levels. Personally, I have never seen red-eye from shots taken during the middle of the day, not even with P&S cameras which are notorious for this problem because of the flash being too close to the lens. Also your flash is elevated several inches higher from the lens than a typical P&S camera which also helps. So in my humble opinion, you shouldn't have a problem unless it gets very dark. For instance, if you shoot in a covered corridor around sunset.

FYI, this problem is usually worse with small children and animals.

Good luck!

Post #5, Oct 19, 2005 21:27:13 as a reply to PacAce's post 5 hours earlier.

EOS 5D MIII - EOS 7D - 70-200 f2.8L IS - EF 1.4X - [COLOR=#333333]24-105mm f/4L IS - Bowens Gemini 400 2-Light Kit - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens - Tokina 11-16 f2.8mm - (2) Canon 580EX flashes

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Wazza
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2004
10,627 posts
Waitakere, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

We're now shooting on a beach? Or is this something else you've got on as well. :p

As Kaplan said, you won't get redeye outside in bright conditions.

Post #6, Oct 20, 2005 00:17:54 as a reply to KaplanMultimedia's post 2 hours earlier.

New Zealand Photography Toursexternal link | Williams Photography - Auckland Photographersexternal link
Auckland Wedding Photographerexternal link | Wanaka Photographerexternal link | Queenstown Photographerexternal link
Facebook - Williams Photographyexternal link

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

The "creative" pictures are on a beach, outside government house, on the wharf, and maybe aronud parliment, depending on the weather.

Post #7, Oct 20, 2005 00:19:24

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,387 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote:
I'm shooting some wedding pictures on a beach at midday this weekend. Two*20D/range of lenses 12-200mm, 580EX/550EX on high speed sync as fill flash. ..

No opinion but a question - is HSS used in this situation to allow the higher shutter speed needed to control ambient light in a typical beach setting?

Post #8, Oct 20, 2005 10:35:37

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Titus213 wrote:
No opinion but a question - is HSS used in this situation to allow the higher shutter speed needed to control ambient light in a typical beach setting?

Pretty much. Because i'll be shooting with wide apertures on a bright day the shutter speed will probably be faster than 1/250th, which is the fastest the 20D can use standard flash at. HSS lets you use any shutter speed. The EOS flash bible has a great explaination of how it works and why, and has to do with the way the shutter works.

Post #9, Oct 20, 2005 15:32:41 as a reply to Titus213's post 4 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
HSS outside at midday, fill flash, bracket required?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES