Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 07:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Radio Popper JrX - Falling off hot shoe

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 14, 2011 07:30 |  #1

I love my Radio Popper JrX triggers. However, the lack of a locking mechanism (to the hot shoe) on the transmitter is driving me crazy. I don't know if it's getting worn out or not but the transmitter slides on and off so easy that it is constantly falling off of my camera.

I've actually lost a transmitter due to it falling off and had to replace it. On multiple occasions I have had to trace my steps to find it.

So far the only solution I have come up with is to use a strip of gaffer's tape to tape it to the camera.

Have any of you had this issue and, if so, do you have any creative solutions to the problem?

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

EdW
71 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jul 14, 2011 15:58 |  #2

The RP triggers should have a locking hotshoe. There's no excuse for not having one. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better product.

My JrX trigger is "kind of snug" & I haven't had any problems with the trigger coming loose/off. However, Someone I was shooting with had the JrX trigger come loose on the hotshoe & lost the connection to the receiver on the strobe. When he was chimping his shots, he didn't understand why they were coming out dark at the time.

I saw a picture of a JrX trigger at the bottom of a pool. Now I understand how it could have gotten there. RP needs to add a locking hotshoe to their triggers! Sounds like duct tape is the solution to the problem unfortunately. Get some black duck tape & it will be less noticeable.

nohnst
142 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Jul 14, 2011 17:43 |  #3

scobols wrote in post #12756315external link
I love my Radio Popper JrX triggers. However, the lack of a locking mechanism (to the hot shoe) on the transmitter is driving me crazy. I don't know if it's getting worn out or not but the transmitter slides on and off so easy that it is constantly falling off of my camera.

I've actually lost a transmitter due to it falling off and had to replace it. On multiple occasions I have had to trace my steps to find it.

So far the only solution I have come up with is to use a strip of gaffer's tape to tape it to the camera.

Have any of you had this issue and, if so, do you have any creative solutions to the problem?

Scott

Same problem here, and same experience as the post below this one. I use a thin black rubber band. I loop the rubberband between the base of the lens (where the lens attach to body) to the base of the hotshoe. It puts a little pressure on it. Enough to let it not fall out. And enough pressure for it to not misfire due to the loose connection.

Experiment with different size rubberbands until it works for you. Try to make sure it's not so tight as you would have to struggle to put it on.

Not the best solution but much better than scotch tape. Easy on easy off when done.

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 15, 2011 07:24 |  #4

I've come up with my own solution that isn't pretty but just might work.

I took one of those adhesive rubber feet (like you would stick to the bottom of a PC tower) and split it into two. Then I stuck the slices to the bottom of the JrX trigger.

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/rp-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/rp-2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/rp-3.jpg

It applies enough pressure to the camera that it requires some force to slide it on or off the hot shoe. I'll use it for a while and see if it solves the problem.

I wish I had some black rubber feet ;)

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

m-rush
29 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Feb 18, 2012 01:22 |  #5

good solution man

Maitham A Al-Rushaidan Middle East
Canon 5D MKII, Canon 20D
Canon EF 70-200 L 2.8 IS, Canon EF 85 L 1.2, Canon EF 100 macro, Sigma EX 24-70 2.8 Lighting Canon 580 EX II, Canon 430 EX II, Nikon DX80.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/maitham/external link

1,948 views & 0 likes for this thread
Radio Popper JrX - Falling off hot shoe
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.