Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #1
Patrick Ahern

Default Weather Sealing

How important or not , is the lack of weather sealing on the EOS 5D
Patrick Ahern is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #2
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Weather Sealing

If you don't shoot in a harsh environment then the pro-sumer body would be fine. It all depends on what kind of photography you do ...

Bob_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #3
sam0329

So you dont have to stop in the middle of a football game when it started rainning.
sam0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Not for light rain, certainly. If it starts really pelting down, you'd better start looking for cover. If you're worried, Kata makes inexpensive camera raingear (about $45 for a camera cover which will handle most lenses up to about 300 mm, and a bundle of lens sleeves to go with it for longer, and fast long (e.g the 300 f/2.8) lenses). Or you can keep a clear plastic bag and some tape or rubber bands in your camera bag to make your own.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #5
wilflee

I've used my 20D (no weather seal) in a downpour with minor problems. I keep the camera/lens inside my jacket while walking around and only take it out when I need to take a shot. The body & lens got pretty wet but kept on functioning for about 2 hours or so. After that, I noticed that f/8 is no longer there (I keep the camera on Av & f/8 all the time). The LED readout skips from f/6.3 to f/9. Changing the lens did not help. I kept on shooting with f/9 (had to increase the ISO) for the rest of the shoot and camera worked fine. After I got back to the tent that night and dried everything out, f/8 returned the next day.

How will 5D's weather seal perform in the same conditions I don't know. But if the only reason you get 5D over 20D is for the weather seal, I'd say save your money and get the 20D.
wilflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #6
Levon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilflee
I've used my 20D (no weather seal) in a downpour with minor problems. I keep the camera/lens inside my jacket while walking around and only take it out when I need to take a shot. The body & lens got pretty wet but kept on functioning for about 2 hours or so. After that, I noticed that f/8 is no longer there (I keep the camera on Av & f/8 all the time). The LED readout skips from f/6.3 to f/9. Changing the lens did not help. I kept on shooting with f/9 (had to increase the ISO) for the rest of the shoot and camera worked fine. After I got back to the tent that night and dried everything out, f/8 returned the next day.
jeez, talking about trying your luck

If you absolutely need a weatherproof camera it is cheaper to buy the 5d and some raingear then shelling out 1000s extra dollars for a 1d
Old 20th of October 2005 (Thu)   #7
blue_max
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Ahern
How important or not , is the lack of weather sealing on the EOS 5D
If you're lenses are weather sealed, it will be the weak link. If not, you have to consider whether you intend to be prepared for the worst weather, or be a sunshine shooter.

Did you have a specific set of circumstances in mind?

Graham
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #8
primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005

How important? You will have to tell yourself how important this thing is for you. For me it certanly is. I have to shoot when there race is on program no matter of weather. If it's sunny, fine I can enjoy and even get some tan , if it's raining I still have to go out and shoot. So for me this thing is important. But I can't tell you, how important this is for you.
primoz is offline   Reply With Quote