Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2005
19 posts
Dublin, Ireland
[MORE/SHARE]

How important or not , is the lack of weather sealing on the EOS 5D

Post #1, Oct 20, 2005 07:27:35

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
8,108 posts
Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

If you don't shoot in a harsh environment then the pro-sumer body would be fine. It all depends on what kind of photography you do ...

Post #2, Oct 20, 2005 08:14:36

Bob
SmugMugexternal link | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sam0329
Joined Jul 2005
540 posts
Edmonton Alberta Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

So you dont have to stop in the middle of a football game when it started rainning.

Post #3, Oct 20, 2005 08:24:15

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Not for light rain, certainly. If it starts really pelting down, you'd better start looking for cover. If you're worried, Kata makes inexpensive camera raingear (about $45 for a camera cover which will handle most lenses up to about 300 mm, and a bundle of lens sleeves to go with it for longer, and fast long (e.g the 300 f/2.8) lenses). Or you can keep a clear plastic bag and some tape or rubber bands in your camera bag to make your own.

Post #4, Oct 20, 2005 09:41:07

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

wilflee
Joined Jun 2005
305 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've used my 20D (no weather seal) in a downpour with minor problems. I keep the camera/lens inside my jacket while walking around and only take it out when I need to take a shot. The body & lens got pretty wet but kept on functioning for about 2 hours or so. After that, I noticed that f/8 is no longer there (I keep the camera on Av & f/8 all the time). The LED readout skips from f/6.3 to f/9. Changing the lens did not help. I kept on shooting with f/9 (had to increase the ISO) for the rest of the shoot and camera worked fine. After I got back to the tent that night and dried everything out, f/8 returned the next day.

How will 5D's weather seal perform in the same conditions I don't know. But if the only reason you get 5D over 20D is for the weather seal, I'd say save your money and get the 20D.

Post #5, Oct 20, 2005 14:57:45

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Levon
Joined Oct 2005
66 posts
Montreal
[MORE/SHARE]

wilflee wrote:
I've used my 20D (no weather seal) in a downpour with minor problems. I keep the camera/lens inside my jacket while walking around and only take it out when I need to take a shot. The body & lens got pretty wet but kept on functioning for about 2 hours or so. After that, I noticed that f/8 is no longer there (I keep the camera on Av & f/8 all the time). The LED readout skips from f/6.3 to f/9. Changing the lens did not help. I kept on shooting with f/9 (had to increase the ISO) for the rest of the shoot and camera worked fine. After I got back to the tent that night and dried everything out, f/8 returned the next day.

jeez, talking about trying your luck

If you absolutely need a weatherproof camera it is cheaper to buy the 5d and some raingear then shelling out 1000s extra dollars for a 1d

Post #6, Oct 20, 2005 15:19:48 as a reply to wilflee's post 22 minutes earlier.

www.levonschuller.comexternal link

blue_max
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
2,622 posts
London UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Patrick Ahern wrote:
How important or not , is the lack of weather sealing on the EOS 5D

If you're lenses are weather sealed, it will be the weak link. If not, you have to consider whether you intend to be prepared for the worst weather, or be a sunshine shooter.

Did you have a specific set of circumstances in mind?

Graham

Post #7, Oct 20, 2005 15:31:13

Lamb dressed as mutton.

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
Joined Dec 2004
2,532 posts
Anywhere where ski World cup makes its stop
[MORE/SHARE]

How important? You will have to tell yourself how important this thing is for you. For me it certanly is. I have to shoot when there race is on program no matter of weather. If it's sunny, fine I can enjoy and even get some tan :), if it's raining I still have to go out and shoot. So for me this thing is important. But I can't tell you, how important this is for you.

Post #8, Oct 21, 2005 12:34:14

PhotoSIexternal link | Latest sport photosexternal linkhttp://www.photo.siexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,343 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weather Sealing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES