Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #1
Steve Campbell

Default SD Card "Write Protected"

I fired off a few shots with my 60D last night and then downlowded them onto my computer via a built in card reader. I then removed the card and put it back in my camera. I attempted to delete all images from the card but I recieved a message on the rear display saying the card was Write Protected. I could not format the card either. What's going on?

5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #2
Fiddlefingers

Default Re: SD Card "Write Protected"

If the lock switch hasn't been moved to lock the card then it could well be that the card has been corrupted. One of the ways this can happen is removing the card before using the Safely Remove option in the task bar.
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #3
Steve Campbell

Is the card ruined? Anything I can do?

5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #4
Fiddlefingers

If it's corrupted then as far as I know that's the end of it. I don't use SD cards, but I believe corrupted cards aren't all that unusual. Maybe someone else can give more detailed information on what to check, or use Google to read about corrupted SD cards.
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #5
Citizen_Insane

Try jiggling the switch back and forth a couple times and then try formatting it on your computer. Always make sure to use "remove hardware safely" on Win, drag to trash on Mac, or unmount on Linux before removing your card.
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #6
Steve Campbell

Where is that on Windows 7?

Speedlite 430 EX II |
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #7
Mike
ugly when I'm sober

So did you try the suggestion of toggling the switch on the SD card?
flickr Blog 5∞px

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #8
Fligi7

If the switch isn't the problem, you can go into Hard Disk Management on your computer, delete the partition on the card, create a new partition on the card, and try formatting again to see if that works.
Fligi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #9
DwainRowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fligi7 View Post
If the switch isn't the problem, you can go into Hard Disk Management on your computer, delete the partition on the card, create a new partition on the card, and try formatting again to see if that works.
And then format it in your camera before using.
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #10
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

If you look at "Computer" on your menu you should see the memory card as a "drive" with data on it. Right click on it and choose "Eject". You might get a warning "Card is in use", but can still click "continue anyway" or something similar. You should see a pop-up that says "removeable media can be safely removed" or somthing similar.

Always do that when removing a card from the computer. (I always simply use drag and drop to transfer data from my cards, then I'm already in "Computer" to do the eject once all data is moved or copied.) It's the same as unplugging any USB device.

I agree with Dwain.... if you format the card in your computer, be sure to format it again in your camera before starting to shoot with it. In fact, it's a good habit to get in, always formatting in camera any time you put a card in... All data that was on the card prior will be lost, though. So be sure you have transfered all the images you want to keep.

If using Windows 7 64 bit and shooting RAW, you might not be able to see the images in Windows Explorer. There is an applet or codec you can buy for little money that will make the images viewable. I have it installed but can't recall the name. If using 32 bit operating system, Canon's codec should work...it's free, but there isn't a 64 bit version yet.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #11
Steve Campbell

I just tried moving that little switch and the damn thing fell off! I think this card is a write off. Thanks for the help all the same.

Speedlite 430 EX II |
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #12
Calicajun
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Campbell View Post
I just tried moving that little switch and the damn thing fell off! I think this card is a write off. Thanks for the help all the same.
What brand of SD card were you using?
Calicajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #13
jbsumo

Even if the switch has come away you can still use a small flat head screwdriver to push the white bit to the open position?

Used this trick a lot working in a photo lab- a lot of the cheaper brand cards tend to come apart in your hands!!!
jbsumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #14
LarryD

It's likely that you have simply accidently moved the little plastic "lock" on the side of the card, as has been mentioned..

Also, you may have "write protected" your images in-camera... reset the camera.

You should try and format the SD card in-camera..

Some Snap-Shots
http://500px.com/LarryD
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #15
equach206

If the switch itself broke off, you can try using a small folded piece of paper to move the switch in the slot itself.