Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #1
WildWolf

Default Shooting a wedding tomorrow and have a problem....

I took some preliminary shots yesterday. The wedding is called for 5pm (about 1/2 hour before sunset). I went out yest with the bride and groom to take some practice shots and figure out where we were gonna shoot the portraits. When I got home last night, I noticed that a lot of shots were over exposed. I used aperture priority with the sun coming from the side. Their faces were really overexposed. It didn't look like this on the back of the camera (lcd), although I did not look at the histogram. I was shooting at iso 200. How can I fix this issue? I was on the default metering setting. What should the metering be set at? Should I shoot manual instead of aperture priority? Thanks in advance for your comments. BTW I have the pictures on shutterfly- although I do not know how to post on this forum.
WildWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #2
i2iSTUDIOS

Default Re: Shooting a wedding tomorrow and have a problem....

Change the metering to center weighted and meter it off of the faces, you can leave it on Aperture Priority. Your camera should be able to correctly meter the situation.

D800
D3
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #3
RichardtheSane
Goldmember

The late sun from the side is a recipie for bad lighting in portraits.

You would need the sun from behind you, or at least illuminating all their face.

If you expose for the highlights you will loose detail in the shadows...

If you can't change the location/sun angle what would help is a reflector to bring some light to the shadows.

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.
RichardtheSane is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #4
WildWolf

I always thought with the sun behind me, the bride and groom will be squinting. How do I avoid the squinting? I do not own a reflector.....where can I pick one up and how much should this cost me?
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #5
Brianbar

Have the Bride and Groom with their back towards the sun (no squinting) and use fill-in flash for back lighting, works great.
Just make sure you are NOT shooting directly into the sun.

Best of luck.

Brian
Brianbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #6
WildWolf

Thanks for the tip Brian! Just to Clarify, If the sun is behind them and it is close to sunset, how do I avoid shooting into the sun?
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #7
.lf.

[quote=WildWolf]Thanks for the tip Brian! Just to Clarify, If the sun is behind them and it is close to sunset, how do I avoid shooting into the sun?[/quote]

put the church in between them and the sun... i use a lastolite tri grip refelector, works real well for redirecting sun light 60 bucks in B&H and meter off the ground. in shade use a flash with a sof-ten omni bounce 17 bucks from B&H.
.lf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #8
dsze
Goldmember

Yes, shoot manually and use partial metering. Get a reflector at any camera shop to bounce some light back up into the dark side of their faces. Try to use that sunset behind them and fill-flash to light them in front of it. That is, expose for the sunset, and fill the foreground (faces) with your flash (diffused if possible). Good luck!

-Gear List-
dsze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #9
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor

And shoot RAW, of course. That will give you more latitude later to recover the shots, especially if they are blown out.
Also check your 'contrast' settings ... a +2 contrast will be more likely to blow out the faces than the neutral setting. (OK, won't matter with RAW).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #10
badrotation

also, you may want to shoot raw, so that if there are any minor problems, you can save them in post.
badrotation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #11
Brianbar

Have the sun coming in over their shoulder, but don't have the sun directly behind them.
Then take the light reading from the front of the Bride and Groom, which is now in the shade.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Brianbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #12
lkorell

Only use the LCD to check composition. For exposure ALWAYS use the histogram. I too just discovered the center weighted metering solution and it's a really good idea.

Lou

http://www.LouKorell.com
lkorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #13
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor

And keep in mind that the camera might think that the white dress is an 18% grey dress in partial metering... When in doubt, use exposure bracketing. The fast shot mode (don't know which camera? 5 fps on 20D) is great for that. Only thing I noticed is that the camera resets bracketing sometimes ... in doubt check after each series if you still are in that mode.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #14
dsze
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andythaler
And keep in mind that the camera might think that the white dress is an 18% grey dress in partial metering... When in doubt, use exposure bracketing. The fast shot mode (don't know which camera? 5 fps on 20D) is great for that. Only thing I noticed is that the camera resets bracketing sometimes ... in doubt check after each series if you still are in that mode.

Best regards,
Andy

Andy, can you explain this to me? Why would partial metering make the camera think that white is 18% gray. You're probably right, I'm just wondering how/why this would happen and what the effect on the image would be. Wouldn't this matter mostly for WB accuracy?

thanks,

-Gear List-
dsze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2005 (Fri)   #15
WildWolf

Also,

Can someone explain to me how to "meter".....I know that the camera has 3 metering modes (Rebel XT). How do I meter something if the camera is doing it automatically? (I did actually read the manual cover to cover 5 times and every time I read it, I think I understand 100% and later I still have questions!!!!!)