Shooting a wedding tomorrow and have a problem....

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 21 Oct 2005 (Friday) 06:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

WildWolf
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2003
1,005 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I took some preliminary shots yesterday. The wedding is called for 5pm (about 1/2 hour before sunset). I went out yest with the bride and groom to take some practice shots and figure out where we were gonna shoot the portraits. When I got home last night, I noticed that a lot of shots were over exposed. I used aperture priority with the sun coming from the side. Their faces were really overexposed. It didn't look like this on the back of the camera (lcd), although I did not look at the histogram. I was shooting at iso 200. How can I fix this issue? I was on the default metering setting. What should the metering be set at? Should I shoot manual instead of aperture priority? Thanks in advance for your comments. BTW I have the pictures on shutterfly- although I do not know how to post on this forum.

Post #1, Oct 21, 2005 06:54:20

5D3

Canon 24-105 L IS ; 100-400 L IS

430 EX; Feisol 3442 w/CB50D; Bogen 681B; POTN strap

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
i2iSTUDIOS
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2004
1,010 posts
Cincinnati, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Change the metering to center weighted and meter it off of the faces, you can leave it on Aperture Priority. Your camera should be able to correctly meter the situation.

Post #2, Oct 21, 2005 07:18:52

i2iSTUDIOS.comexternal link
My Blog

D800
D3

RichardtheSane
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,011 posts
Nottingham UK
[MORE/SHARE]

The late sun from the side is a recipie for bad lighting in portraits.

You would need the sun from behind you, or at least illuminating all their face.

If you expose for the highlights you will loose detail in the shadows...

If you can't change the location/sun angle what would help is a reflector to bring some light to the shadows.

Post #3, Oct 21, 2005 07:29:55

If in doubt, I shut up...

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.

WildWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2003
1,005 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I always thought with the sun behind me, the bride and groom will be squinting. How do I avoid the squinting? I do not own a reflector.....where can I pick one up and how much should this cost me?

Post #4, Oct 21, 2005 08:56:38 as a reply to RichardtheSane's post 1 hour earlier.

5D3

Brianbar
Joined Feb 2004
394 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Have the Bride and Groom with their back towards the sun (no squinting) and use fill-in flash for back lighting, works great.
Just make sure you are NOT shooting directly into the sun.

Best of luck.

Brian

Post #5, Oct 21, 2005 09:30:12

sponsored links
WildWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2003
1,005 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the tip Brian! Just to Clarify, If the sun is behind them and it is close to sunset, how do I avoid shooting into the sun?

Post #6, Oct 21, 2005 10:01:49 as a reply to Brianbar's post 31 minutes earlier.

5D3

.lf.
Joined Sep 2005
32 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

[QUOTE=WildWolf]Thanks for the tip Brian! Just to Clarify, If the sun is behind them and it is close to sunset, how do I avoid shooting into the sun?[/quote
]

put the church in between them and the sun... i use a lastolite tri grip refelector, works real well for redirecting sun light 60 bucks in B&H and meter off the ground. in shade use a flash with a sof-ten omni bounce 17 bucks from B&H.

Post #7, Oct 21, 2005 10:53:58 as a reply to WildWolf's post 52 minutes earlier.

dsze
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
2,241 posts
On The Lake!
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, shoot manually and use partial metering. Get a reflector at any camera shop to bounce some light back up into the dark side of their faces. Try to use that sunset behind them and fill-flash to light them in front of it. That is, expose for the sunset, and fill the foreground (faces) with your flash (diffused if possible). Good luck!

Post #8, Oct 21, 2005 10:58:35

-daniel
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
-Gear List-

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
Joined Jan 2003
9,860 posts
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
[MORE/SHARE]

And shoot RAW, of course. That will give you more latitude later to recover the shots, especially if they are blown out.
Also check your 'contrast' settings ... a +2 contrast will be more likely to blow out the faces than the neutral setting. (OK, won't matter with RAW).

Best regards,
Andy

Post #9, Oct 21, 2005 11:03:09

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

badrotation
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

also, you may want to shoot raw, so that if there are any minor problems, you can save them in post.

Post #10, Oct 21, 2005 11:04:40

Brianbar
Joined Feb 2004
394 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Have the sun coming in over their shoulder, but don't have the sun directly behind them.
Then take the light reading from the front of the Bride and Groom, which is now in the shade.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Post #11, Oct 21, 2005 11:08:34

sponsored links
lkorell
Joined Dec 2004
270 posts
Southern CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Only use the LCD to check composition. For exposure ALWAYS use the histogram. I too just discovered the center weighted metering solution and it's a really good idea.

Lou

Post #12, Oct 21, 2005 11:09:37 as a reply to badrotation's post 4 minutes earlier.

Lou Korell

http://www.LouKorell.c​omexternal link

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
Joined Jan 2003
9,860 posts
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
[MORE/SHARE]

And keep in mind that the camera might think that the white dress is an 18% grey dress in partial metering... When in doubt, use exposure bracketing. The fast shot mode (don't know which camera? 5 fps on 20D) is great for that. Only thing I noticed is that the camera resets bracketing sometimes :shock: ... in doubt check after each series if you still are in that mode.

Best regards,
Andy

Post #13, Oct 21, 2005 11:15:47

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

dsze
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
2,241 posts
On The Lake!
[MORE/SHARE]

Andythaler wrote:
And keep in mind that the camera might think that the white dress is an 18% grey dress in partial metering... When in doubt, use exposure bracketing. The fast shot mode (don't know which camera? 5 fps on 20D) is great for that. Only thing I noticed is that the camera resets bracketing sometimes :shock: ... in doubt check after each series if you still are in that mode.

Best regards,
Andy

Andy, can you explain this to me? Why would partial metering make the camera think that white is 18% gray. You're probably right, I'm just wondering how/why this would happen and what the effect on the image would be. Wouldn't this matter mostly for WB accuracy?

thanks,

Post #14, Oct 21, 2005 12:53:51 as a reply to Andy_T's post 1 hour earlier.

-daniel
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
-Gear List-

WildWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2003
1,005 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Also,

Can someone explain to me how to "meter".....I know that the camera has 3 metering modes (Rebel XT). How do I meter something if the camera is doing it automatically? (I did actually read the manual cover to cover 5 times and every time I read it, I think I understand 100% and later I still have questions!!!!!)

Post #15, Oct 21, 2005 13:06:23 as a reply to dsze's post 12 minutes earlier.

5D3

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,901 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a wedding tomorrow and have a problem....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES