FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 21 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 21:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cristiaanc
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2011
16 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey guys, just bought a Rebel t2i from a guy on craigslist. He said it was new, which it was, and I took it out of the box, examined it and everything was fine. It has the warrantee paperwork, which I want to send out. The problem is that after a few pictures I plugged the camera to my computer, downloaded my pictures, and have a large, very noticeable dead pixel. My heart dropped as it is VERY clear in some of my pictures to the point of distraction. Now I bought the new camera from a guy I do not know and he did not give me a receipt, but it does have the warrantee paperwork. Can I get the camera replaced by canon? I'm very upset about this and would like any feedback. It's the first time I've ever used craigslist, and I will never use it again.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Post #1, Jul 21, 2011 21:15:11

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
davidc502
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
3,405 posts
Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you post a couple of pictures please?

Post #2, Jul 21, 2011 21:57:52

_
My Gear is ---> Here

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2011
6,400 posts
Tucson AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

you will probably need the original bill of sale (reciept) for canon to honor any warranty work on it.
I hope you get it worked out.

Post #3, Jul 21, 2011 22:30:10 as a reply to davidc502's post 32 minutes earlier.

Jeremy
7d, 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8 IS, 18-55 IS, 100-400L,430 exII
My Flickrexternal link

cristiaanc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2011
16 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The problem is there's no way for me to get the original bill of sale. I've gotten in touch with the guy and the receipt has either been lost or misplaced. I don't see why that would be an issue. It's still a Canon t2i.

Post #4, Jul 21, 2011 22:48:58

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2011
6,400 posts
Tucson AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

they cant verify your purchase date.
they CAN fix it, but it will probably cost you money.
The t2i has been out for over a year so it COULD have been bought when it first came out.

i just sent a lens in for repair, they required a copy of my reciept.
heck, maybe the "dead pixel" is just dust on the sensor?
try lightly blowing air onto the sensor to get the dust off. LIGHTLY and dont touch it with your fingers.

Post #5, Jul 21, 2011 22:56:52 as a reply to cristiaanc's post 7 minutes earlier.

Jeremy
7d, 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8 IS, 18-55 IS, 100-400L,430 exII
My Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
1,131 posts
ny
[MORE/SHARE]

i had the same thing happen to my 5D mark II except it only showed up when i recorded movies. sent it in to canon, where they diagnosed it as a dust in the sensor. this was a pretty much brand new refurb unit with only 21 actuations so i was pretty shocked that there would be a dust large enough to show up when recording movies.

dead pixels are probably not big enough to show up in a picture since you have...18 million of them. if it's a big ugly white "dead pixel" than it might just be dust. put the camera to manual sensor cleaning mode, and give it a whiff with a rocket blower. or try to clean the sensor using the wet cleaning method. if it still shows up then maybe it's time to send it into canon. good luck.

Post #6, Jul 22, 2011 02:05:13

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

I ­ weston ­ I
Joined May 2011
334 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the same issue with my 40D, and I was able to fix it by going to "manual clean" and letting it sit for 60 seconds, then turning off the camera. When I turned the Camera back on, dead pixel gone...Worth a try

Post #7, Jul 22, 2011 18:29:47

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
Joined Jul 2011
485 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

nikesupremedunk wrote in post #12802904external link
i had the same thing happen to my 5D mark II except it only showed up when i recorded movies. sent it in to canon, where they diagnosed it as a dust in the sensor. this was a pretty much brand new refurb unit with only 21 actuations so i was pretty shocked that there would be a dust large enough to show up when recording movies.

dead pixels are probably not big enough to show up in a picture since you have...18 million of them. if it's a big ugly white "dead pixel" than it might just be dust. put the camera to manual sensor cleaning mode, and give it a whiff with a rocket blower. or try to clean the sensor using the wet cleaning method. if it still shows up then maybe it's time to send it into canon. good luck.

This. I completely agree. It is better to test all DIY options first.

Post #8, Jul 22, 2011 18:33:47

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

Unregistered.Coward
Joined Oct 2010
884 posts
Looking thru the viewfinder
[MORE/SHARE]

A pixel is a point, what you're describing sounds like dust or some other foreign object in the sensor path.

Turn the camera on and off a couple times, let the sensor cleaning mechanism work it's magic.

Post #9, Jul 22, 2011 19:02:34

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

arch.cm
Joined Apr 2011
751 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I weston I wrote in post #12806488external link
I had the same issue with my 40D, and I was able to fix it by going to "manual clean" and letting it sit for 60 seconds, then turning off the camera. When I turned the Camera back on, dead pixel gone...Worth a try

I agree, I had the same issue with my Canon 60d (in my case it was a white spot that showed up in all pictures), but by using the method above it removed it completely, I was relieved!

Post #10, Jul 23, 2011 02:49:34 as a reply to Unregistered.Coward's post 7 hours earlier.

60D|Canon 10-22mm|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 50mm 1.8 ii|Canon 70-200mm f4L|Raynox DCR-250|Sunpak PZ42X
Full Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
t2i with dead pixel
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES