Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of July 2011 (Thu)   #1
cristiaanc

Default t2i with dead pixel

Hey guys, just bought a Rebel t2i from a guy on craigslist. He said it was new, which it was, and I took it out of the box, examined it and everything was fine. It has the warrantee paperwork, which I want to send out. The problem is that after a few pictures I plugged the camera to my computer, downloaded my pictures, and have a large, very noticeable dead pixel. My heart dropped as it is VERY clear in some of my pictures to the point of distraction. Now I bought the new camera from a guy I do not know and he did not give me a receipt, but it does have the warrantee paperwork. Can I get the camera replaced by canon? I'm very upset about this and would like any feedback. It's the first time I've ever used craigslist, and I will never use it again.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
cristiaanc is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of July 2011 (Thu)   #2
davidc502
Goldmember

Default Re: t2i with dead pixel

Can you post a couple of pictures please?
Old 21st of July 2011 (Thu)   #3
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

you will probably need the original bill of sale (reciept) for canon to honor any warranty work on it.
I hope you get it worked out.
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of July 2011 (Thu)   #4
cristiaanc

The problem is there's no way for me to get the original bill of sale. I've gotten in touch with the guy and the receipt has either been lost or misplaced. I don't see why that would be an issue. It's still a Canon t2i.
cristiaanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2011 (Thu)   #5
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

they cant verify your purchase date.
they CAN fix it, but it will probably cost you money.
The t2i has been out for over a year so it COULD have been bought when it first came out.

i just sent a lens in for repair, they required a copy of my reciept.
heck, maybe the "dead pixel" is just dust on the sensor?
try lightly blowing air onto the sensor to get the dust off. LIGHTLY and dont touch it with your fingers.
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2011 (Fri)   #6
nikesupremedunk

i had the same thing happen to my 5D mark II except it only showed up when i recorded movies. sent it in to canon, where they diagnosed it as a dust in the sensor. this was a pretty much brand new refurb unit with only 21 actuations so i was pretty shocked that there would be a dust large enough to show up when recording movies.

dead pixels are probably not big enough to show up in a picture since you have...18 million of them. if it's a big ugly white "dead pixel" than it might just be dust. put the camera to manual sensor cleaning mode, and give it a whiff with a rocket blower. or try to clean the sensor using the wet cleaning method. if it still shows up then maybe it's time to send it into canon. good luck.
Old 22nd of July 2011 (Fri)   #7
I weston I

I had the same issue with my 40D, and I was able to fix it by going to "manual clean" and letting it sit for 60 seconds, then turning off the camera. When I turned the Camera back on, dead pixel gone...Worth a try
Old 22nd of July 2011 (Fri)   #8
Hard Drive Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
i had the same thing happen to my 5D mark II except it only showed up when i recorded movies. sent it in to canon, where they diagnosed it as a dust in the sensor. this was a pretty much brand new refurb unit with only 21 actuations so i was pretty shocked that there would be a dust large enough to show up when recording movies.

dead pixels are probably not big enough to show up in a picture since you have...18 million of them. if it's a big ugly white "dead pixel" than it might just be dust. put the camera to manual sensor cleaning mode, and give it a whiff with a rocket blower. or try to clean the sensor using the wet cleaning method. if it still shows up then maybe it's time to send it into canon. good luck.
This. I completely agree. It is better to test all DIY options first.
Hard Drive Disk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2011 (Fri)   #9
Unregistered.Coward

A pixel is a point, what you're describing sounds like dust or some other foreign object in the sensor path.

Turn the camera on and off a couple times, let the sensor cleaning mechanism work it's magic.
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #10
arch.cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by I weston I View Post
I had the same issue with my 40D, and I was able to fix it by going to "manual clean" and letting it sit for 60 seconds, then turning off the camera. When I turned the Camera back on, dead pixel gone...Worth a try

I agree, I had the same issue with my Canon 60d (in my case it was a white spot that showed up in all pictures), but by using the method above it removed it completely, I was relieved!

Full Gear List
arch.cm is offline   Reply With Quote