Thread started 23 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 19:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,349 posts
Mount Isa, North West Qld
[MORE/SHARE]

I made some manual camera settings to my 7D last night for night photography, and now the image on the LCD flashes between a good photo and another which highlights the borders and lower light. Even in "P" or "Auto" it does the same.

I feel like a noob and need some help restoring the settings so it will just show the one photo on the LCS.....if that make sense. :o

Post #1, Jul 23, 2011 19:59:00

Trevor

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
6,674 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Flashing blinkies are just showing highlights on the picture, no need to change that.
If you still want to remove it, look for Highlight Alert in your camera settings and set it to Disable.

Post #2, Jul 23, 2011 20:02:40

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Lone ­ Rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,349 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Hermeto I found it under "Highlight alert" I have no idea why it was engaged and feel embarrassed...thanks for sharing so quickly. Thats what POTN is all about I guess - helping others.

Post #3, Jul 23, 2011 20:09:14

Trevor

mikewinburn
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
1,556 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

its the default setting on the camera.
You might want to take the time to read the entire manual and play with all the settings as you read each page. A lot of folks would not bother to read it, but, I love knowing all the little nuances of the different cameras... a lot of little tricks one would never know as well! have fun!

by the by, the 7D allows you to clear the settings you've changed and restore the camera to all defaults modes as well

Post #4, Jul 23, 2011 20:15:21

Gear: Lighting Gear #2468
flickrexternal link
WinburnCreationsexternal link

windpig
Chopped liver
Joined Dec 2008
12,061 posts
Just South of Ballard
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd leave the blinky thingy on.

Post #5, Jul 23, 2011 22:13:48

sponsored links
hairyjames
Joined Dec 2010
387 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ditto! Leave it on, it is there to help you.

Post #6, Jul 23, 2011 22:15:24

Lone ­ Rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
1,349 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks...I found it on page 163 of the manual...

"Highlight alert" When the highlight alert is set to "Enable" overexposed highlight areas will blink. To obtain more image detail in the overexposed areas, set the exposure compensation to a negative amount and shoot again.

My scenario had half the image blinking and the other half wasn't. Wouldn't reducing exposure compensation affect the areas which weren't been highlighted?

Post #7, Jul 23, 2011 23:01:48 as a reply to windpig's post 48 minutes earlier.

Trevor

Mark ­ Kemp
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,059 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sportidi wrote in post #12811822external link

"Highlight alert" When the highlight alert is set to "Enable" overexposed highlight areas will blink. To obtain more image detail in the overexposed areas, set the exposure compensation to a negative amount and shoot again.

My scenario had half the image blinking and the other half wasn't. Wouldn't reducing exposure compensation affect the areas which weren't been highlighted?

Yes it would, you need to strike a balance between the highlights burning out and the shadows turning black.

Post #8, Jul 24, 2011 01:14:29

thedge
Joined Jul 2010
417 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Half the image would depend on what you were shooting but yet half of it can easily blink. Blown out sky for example.

Without seeing the image, yes reducing the exposure compensation would effect the other half but it could be ok. Depends on the image and where you need the detail most.

Post #9, Jul 24, 2011 08:02:43

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

stsva
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2009
5,928 posts
Northern Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

Here are some short articles on metering and exposure that might be helpful:
http://daystarvisions.​com/Docs/Tuts/Meter/pg​1.htmlexternal link
http://daystarvisions.​com/Docs/Tuts/DCExp/pg​1.htmlexternal link
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/tutorials/c​amera-exposure.htmexternal link
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/tutorials/c​amera-metering.htmexternal link

Post #10, Jul 24, 2011 12:28:30

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profileexternal link
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net ...=744235&highlight=h​amsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
6,999 posts
Merseyside, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, it will affect the whole image.

The "blinkies" are simply a tool to show you the parts of an image that are blowing out, and recording no detail. What you do with that information is up to you, but the information can be invaluable.

It sounds like, in your scenario, the sky was blown out. In this instance, you can either take steps that will affect the sky alone (such as employing a GND filter) or make an exposure choice depending on the importance of various parts of the scene. Naturally, in this case, you don't want to drastically underexpose the ground areas as that is your subject, but a small amount of compensation may bring detail into some of the sky whilst leaving the subject area enough exposure to record all the detail and bring it up in post. If you use the blinkies in conjunction with the histogram, you can tell a great deal about how your image is recording. If you have blinkies, but there is space to the left of the histogram curve, then you know you can reduce the exposure without losing shadow detail.

In another scenario, you may be photographing something light and it is the highlights that are important. A good example might be shooting a bird against dark foliage. Something like a barn owl, with it's white chest, can easily blow out in sunlight. If you watch the blinkies, the metered exposure will likely show blinkies on the chest, meaning that you have lost all feather detail. You may need -2 stops of EC to stop the blinkies and record all the detail, and you can leave the background to be underexposed as it is less important.

The histogram is useful for telling you that some parts of a scene are blowing out, but the blinkies tell you which parts - whether they are an unimportant part of the scene (perhaps spots of reflective highlights on water or chrome, which will look OK as pure white) or a vital part of the subject.

I leave my blinkies enabled to give me the most information I can get.

Post #11, Jul 24, 2011 13:49:50

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos flashing/blinking on 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES