Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #1
Lone Rider

Default Photos flashing/blinking on 7D

I made some manual camera settings to my 7D last night for night photography, and now the image on the LCD flashes between a good photo and another which highlights the borders and lower light. Even in "P" or "Auto" it does the same.

I feel like a noob and need some help restoring the settings so it will just show the one photo on the LCS.....if that make sense.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #2
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Photos flashing/blinking on 7D

Flashing blinkies are just showing highlights on the picture, no need to change that.
If you still want to remove it, look for Highlight Alert in your camera settings and set it to Disable.

Last edited by Hermeto : 23rd of July 2011 (Sat) at 20:09.
Hermeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #3
Lone Rider

Thanks Hermeto I found it under "Highlight alert" I have no idea why it was engaged and feel embarrassed...thanks for sharing so quickly. Thats what POTN is all about I guess - helping others.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #4
mikewinburn

its the default setting on the camera.
You might want to take the time to read the entire manual and play with all the settings as you read each page. A lot of folks would not bother to read it, but, I love knowing all the little nuances of the different cameras... a lot of little tricks one would never know as well! have fun!

by the by, the 7D allows you to clear the settings you've changed and restore the camera to all defaults modes as well
Gear: Lighting Gear #2468
flickr
WinburnCreations
mikewinburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #5
windpig
Cream of the Crop

I'd leave the blinky thingy on.
windpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #6
hairyjames

Ditto! Leave it on, it is there to help you.
hairyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2011 (Sat)   #7
Lone Rider

Thanks...I found it on page 163 of the manual...

"Highlight alert" When the highlight alert is set to "Enable" overexposed highlight areas will blink. To obtain more image detail in the overexposed areas, set the exposure compensation to a negative amount and shoot again.

My scenario had half the image blinking and the other half wasn't. Wouldn't reducing exposure compensation affect the areas which weren't been highlighted?
Old 24th of July 2011 (Sun)   #8
Mark Kemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportidi View Post

"Highlight alert" When the highlight alert is set to "Enable" overexposed highlight areas will blink. To obtain more image detail in the overexposed areas, set the exposure compensation to a negative amount and shoot again.

My scenario had half the image blinking and the other half wasn't. Wouldn't reducing exposure compensation affect the areas which weren't been highlighted?
Yes it would, you need to strike a balance between the highlights burning out and the shadows turning black.
Mark Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2011 (Sun)   #9
thedge

Quote:

Half the image would depend on what you were shooting but yet half of it can easily blink. Blown out sky for example.

Without seeing the image, yes reducing the exposure compensation would effect the other half but it could be ok. Depends on the image and where you need the detail most.
Old 24th of July 2011 (Sun)   #10
stsva
Cream of the Crop

Here are some short articles on metering and exposure that might be helpful:
http://daystarvisions.com/Docs/Tuts/Meter/pg1.html
http://daystarvisions.com/Docs/Tuts/DCExp/pg1.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...a-exposure.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...a-metering.htm
Club and
HAMSTTR
Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...hlight=hamsttr Join today!
stsva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2011 (Sun)   #11
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop

Quote:

Yes, it will affect the whole image.

The "blinkies" are simply a tool to show you the parts of an image that are blowing out, and recording no detail. What you do with that information is up to you, but the information can be invaluable.

It sounds like, in your scenario, the sky was blown out. In this instance, you can either take steps that will affect the sky alone (such as employing a GND filter) or make an exposure choice depending on the importance of various parts of the scene. Naturally, in this case, you don't want to drastically underexpose the ground areas as that is your subject, but a small amount of compensation may bring detail into some of the sky whilst leaving the subject area enough exposure to record all the detail and bring it up in post. If you use the blinkies in conjunction with the histogram, you can tell a great deal about how your image is recording. If you have blinkies, but there is space to the left of the histogram curve, then you know you can reduce the exposure without losing shadow detail.

In another scenario, you may be photographing something light and it is the highlights that are important. A good example might be shooting a bird against dark foliage. Something like a barn owl, with it's white chest, can easily blow out in sunlight. If you watch the blinkies, the metered exposure will likely show blinkies on the chest, meaning that you have lost all feather detail. You may need -2 stops of EC to stop the blinkies and record all the detail, and you can leave the background to be underexposed as it is less important.

The histogram is useful for telling you that some parts of a scene are blowing out, but the blinkies tell you which parts - whether they are an unimportant part of the scene (perhaps spots of reflective highlights on water or chrome, which will look OK as pure white) or a vital part of the subject.

I leave my blinkies enabled to give me the most information I can get.
sandpiper is online now   Reply With Quote