Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of July 2011 (Mon)   #1
f8andBeThere

Default Inexpensive point and shoot

I'm looking for an inexpensive, small point-and-shoot for those times I don't want to carry my 7D and lenses.

My budget for this is under $150 so if it's lost in travel or dropped while biking or hiking or boating it's not a huge loss.

I'm looking at the A2200 which goes for about $125. I like its size and features.

Is there another model, equally small and light, that offers more bang for the buck in this price range?
f8andBeThere is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #2
eyalg

Default Re: Inexpensive point and shoot

The A2200 is ok, but as many affordable cameras, lacks an Image Stabilizer,
a fact which could result in a higher percentage of blurry images.

The FH25, by Panasonic, does have an optical image stabilizer,
as well as an x8 zoom range - and is exactly in your budget range ($149).

If you're worried about your camera falling down and breaking apart,
you could also get a shock-proof camera, like the Olypus TG-310 (also $149).

-eyalg
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #3
korrektor
Goldmember

ever considered using your cellphone?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3864934...in/photostream
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #4
exwintech

F8andBeThere - A lot of the lower cost P&S devices aren't stabilised... But if you had a VERY cheap one - runs on 2 x AAs - AND has a Viewfinder - that does a lot more in the "triangle brace" position, camera to eye - than having 'stabilising' in a P&S held at arm's length to aim via LCD... Lots of scenes and functions - Program AE Mode - AND it's a Canon... The cute Powershot A1200 - $106.00 here in Sydney - probably less in the US or EU. At the price - you could afford to lose 1 a year - about $2.00 a week....

Korrektor - Not everyone is a jumping-slave to a mobile-phone (cell-phone, in American) - let alone one that isn't "only" a phone and came on a card for $30.00 with $5.00 in free local calls... As did my last one, bought from a card-stand in a post-office in Sydney..., ummm, 8-9 years ago...

I think it lasted a few months, but was annoying, so after being annoyed by it once too often, I tossed it in a street litter-bin. . So for about 8+ years I haven't had one... The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII....

If people are desperate to contact me - they can wait until I'm home - because, yes, there's a fixed-line phone, there - but no, it doesn't take messages, record things, or not-contact my non-mobile...

Cranky old stick-in-the-mud, ain't I....!

Regards, Dave.
exwintech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #5
korrektor
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
F8andBeThere - A lot of the lower cost P&S devices aren't stabilised... But if you had a VERY cheap one - runs on 2 x AAs - AND has a Viewfinder - that does a lot more in the "triangle brace" position, camera to eye - than having 'stabilising' in a P&S held at arm's length to aim via LCD... Lots of scenes and functions - Program AE Mode - AND it's a Canon... The cute Powershot A1200 - $106.00 here in Sydney - probably less in the US or EU. At the price - you could afford to lose 1 a year - about $2.00 a week....

Korrektor - Not everyone is a jumping-slave to a mobile-phone (cell-phone, in American) - let alone one that isn't "only" a phone and came on a card for $30.00 with $5.00 in free local calls... As did my last one, bought from a card-stand in a post-office in Sydney..., ummm, 8-9 years ago...

I think it lasted a few months, but was annoying, so after being annoyed by it once too often, I tossed it in a street litter-bin. . So for about 8+ years I haven't had one... The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII....

If people are desperate to contact me - they can wait until I'm home - because, yes, there's a fixed-line phone, there - but no, it doesn't take messages, record things, or not-contact my non-mobile...

Cranky old stick-in-the-mud, ain't I....!

Regards, Dave.
are you bored or something?
I was talking about a camera phone lol, but thanks, I learned something new about you today!
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #6
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

If you want to compare images from a couple of these phones, that should make the decision for you. Check at www.dpreview.com. Find a review of one camera, go to the dropdown comparisons, then add three other cameras to compare images at the same target at the same ISOs.
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #7
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

I noticed Adorama has some refurb SD940 for $115 the other day. Those are a year old model, but still quite capable.

A little over budget, but I really dig my Elph 100HS. Has great 1080p video and a backlit sensor for better low light images.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #8
exwintech

Korrektor - Yep, and so, indeed, was I.....

"....The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII...."

Being a bit sarky - but the point was - some independent folk just won't tolerate mobile phones, anyway.

Regards, Dave.
exwintech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #9
tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview

Adorama refurbs

With 12 mo warranty
Old 26th of July 2011 (Tue)   #10
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
Korrektor - Yep, and so, indeed, was I.....

"....The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII...."

Being a bit sarky - but the point was - some independent folk just won't tolerate mobile phones, anyway.

Regards, Dave.
Not to mention there aren't many cell phones with zoom lenses, and digital zoom on a 5 MP sensor is just begging for trouble.
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of July 2011 (Fri)   #11
HelenOster
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwag View Post
Adorama refurbs

With 12 mo warranty
Thanks so much for the Adorama recommendation - very much appreciated.
http://www.flickr.com/people/22264746@N07/
http://helenoster.blogspot.com
HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of August 2011 (Thu)   #12
f8andBeThere

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrektor View Post
ever considered using your cellphone?
I like my iPhone and its camera is OK, but no wide angle or zoom, no IS, no ergonomics, just adequate optics.
f8andBeThere is offline   Reply With Quote