FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 25 Jul 2011 (Monday) 22:27   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

f8andBeThere
Joined Oct 2009
22 posts
Memphis
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm looking for an inexpensive, small point-and-shoot for those times I don't want to carry my 7D and lenses.

My budget for this is under $150 so if it's lost in travel or dropped while biking or hiking or boating it's not a huge loss.

I'm looking at the A2200 which goes for about $125. I like its size and features.

Is there another model, equally small and light, that offers more bang for the buck in this price range?

Post #1, Jul 25, 2011 22:27:43

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
eyalg
Joined May 2008
583 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The A2200 is ok, but as many affordable cameras, lacks an Image Stabilizer,
a fact which could result in a higher percentage of blurry images.

The FH25, by Panasonic, does have an optical image stabilizer,
as well as an x8 zoom range - and is exactly in your budget range ($149).

If you're worried about your camera falling down and breaking apart,
you could also get a shock-proof camera, like the Olypus TG-310 (also $149).

-eyalg

Post #2, Jul 26, 2011 01:24:29

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.comexternal link

korrektor
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
4,908 posts
Moscow, Russia
[MORE/SHARE]

ever considered using your cellphone? ;)

http://www.flickr.com ...5974961381/in/photo​streamexternal link

Post #3, Jul 26, 2011 01:27:43

WEBSITE http://mikhaylovphoto.​com/external link

exwintech
Joined Apr 2009
551 posts
Croydon Park, Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

F8andBeThere - A lot of the lower cost P&S devices aren't stabilised... But if you had a VERY cheap one - runs on 2 x AAs - AND has a Viewfinder - that does a lot more in the "triangle brace" position, camera to eye - than having 'stabilising' in a P&S held at arm's length to aim via LCD... Lots of scenes and functions - Program AE Mode - AND it's a Canon... The cute Powershot A1200 - $106.00 here in Sydney - probably less in the US or EU. At the price - you could afford to lose 1 a year - about $2.00 a week.... :D

Korrektor - Not everyone is a jumping-slave to a mobile-phone (cell-phone, in American) - let alone one that isn't "only" a phone and came on a card for $30.00 with $5.00 in free local calls... As did my last one, bought from a card-stand in a post-office in Sydney..., ummm, 8-9 years ago...

I think it lasted a few months, but was annoying, so after being annoyed by it once too often, I tossed it in a street litter-bin. . So for about 8+ years I haven't had one... The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII....

If people are desperate to contact me - they can wait until I'm home - because, yes, there's a fixed-line phone, there - but no, it doesn't take messages, record things, or not-contact my non-mobile... :lol:

Cranky old stick-in-the-mud, ain't I....! :rolleyes:

Regards, Dave.

Post #4, Jul 26, 2011 02:02:24 as a reply to korrektor's post 34 minutes earlier.

korrektor
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
4,908 posts
Moscow, Russia
[MORE/SHARE]

exwintech wrote in post #12823679external link
F8andBeThere - A lot of the lower cost P&S devices aren't stabilised... But if you had a VERY cheap one - runs on 2 x AAs - AND has a Viewfinder - that does a lot more in the "triangle brace" position, camera to eye - than having 'stabilising' in a P&S held at arm's length to aim via LCD... Lots of scenes and functions - Program AE Mode - AND it's a Canon... The cute Powershot A1200 - $106.00 here in Sydney - probably less in the US or EU. At the price - you could afford to lose 1 a year - about $2.00 a week.... :D

Korrektor - Not everyone is a jumping-slave to a mobile-phone (cell-phone, in American) - let alone one that isn't "only" a phone and came on a card for $30.00 with $5.00 in free local calls... As did my last one, bought from a card-stand in a post-office in Sydney..., ummm, 8-9 years ago...

I think it lasted a few months, but was annoying, so after being annoyed by it once too often, I tossed it in a street litter-bin. . So for about 8+ years I haven't had one... The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII....

If people are desperate to contact me - they can wait until I'm home - because, yes, there's a fixed-line phone, there - but no, it doesn't take messages, record things, or not-contact my non-mobile... :lol:

Cranky old stick-in-the-mud, ain't I....! :rolleyes:

Regards, Dave.

are you bored or something? :)
I was talking about a camera phone lol, but thanks, I learned something new about you today! :)

Post #5, Jul 26, 2011 02:16:38

WEBSITE http://mikhaylovphoto.​com/external link

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,785 posts
New York City
[MORE/SHARE]

If you want to compare images from a couple of these phones, that should make the decision for you. Check at www.dpreview.comexternal link. Find a review of one camera, go to the dropdown comparisons, then add three other cameras to compare images at the same target at the same ISOs.

Post #6, Jul 26, 2011 10:17:28

Jay
Ireland in Word and Imageexternal link Jay Ben Imagesexternal link5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 screw clamp | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02 head

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I noticed Adorama has some refurb SD940 for $115 the other day. Those are a year old model, but still quite capable.

A little over budget, but I really dig my Elph 100HS. Has great 1080p video and a backlit sensor for better low light images.

Post #7, Jul 26, 2011 10:28:23

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

exwintech
Joined Apr 2009
551 posts
Croydon Park, Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Korrektor - Yep, and so, indeed, was I..... :lol:

"....The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII...."

Being a bit sarky - but the point was - some independent folk just won't tolerate mobile phones, anyway.

Regards, Dave.

Post #8, Jul 26, 2011 16:25:44 as a reply to tkbslc's post 5 hours earlier.

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
Joined Feb 2009
2,636 posts
Kansas City
[MORE/SHARE]

Adorama refurbsexternal link

With 12 mo warranty

Post #9, Jul 26, 2011 18:12:24 as a reply to exwintech's post 1 hour earlier.

Gear
EOS M ...all anyone needs for great pic's.....if they know what they're doing

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,165 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

exwintech wrote in post #12827221external link
Korrektor - Yep, and so, indeed, was I..... :lol:

"....The upgrade to my peace and privacy is so vast that I wouldn't now have one as a gift - even if it took photos and video to beat a 5DII...."

Being a bit sarky - but the point was - some independent folk just won't tolerate mobile phones, anyway.

Regards, Dave.

Not to mention there aren't many cell phones with zoom lenses, and digital zoom on a 5 MP sensor is just begging for trouble.

Post #10, Jul 26, 2011 18:20:48

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

HelenOster
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
3,786 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

tmwag wrote in post #12827734external link
Adorama refurbsexternal link

With 12 mo warranty

Thanks so much for the Adorama recommendation - very much appreciated.

Post #11, Jul 29, 2011 11:10:04

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link
http://helenoster.blog​spot.comexternal link

sponsored links
f8andBeThere
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
22 posts
Memphis
[MORE/SHARE]

korrektor wrote in post #12823605external link
ever considered using your cellphone? ;)

I like my iPhone and its camera is OK, but no wide angle or zoom, no IS, no ergonomics, just adequate optics.

Post #12, Aug 04, 2011 00:36:47

LIST NEARBY THREADS
843 views & 0 likes for this thread
Inexpensive point and shoot
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES