LIST NEARBY THREADS

zwina
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2005
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi all,
I've a EOS 300D, and a CF card of 1GB.
I've this error message: ERROR 2 on the LCD screen and could not even open the menu and format the card.
Do you have any ideas?
thanks a lot

Post #1, Oct 23, 2005 04:05:47

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Error 02 is related to the CF card. You could try putting it back in and then try reformatting again. It is possible tht your card has gone south on you. Check to see what the warranty time on the specific card that you have is.

Post #2, Oct 23, 2005 05:30:16

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,190 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Have you tried reformatting the card (full, not quick, format) in your computer? This will require you to have a CF reader, but they're so handy you should have one anyway.

Post #3, Oct 23, 2005 09:28:27

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

zwina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2005
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks guys for your answers :)
ssim: How can i reformat if I can see anything in the camera screen ( have just the error message)
Jon: unfortunatly ny card reader do not recognize the card since the error message

Post #4, Oct 23, 2005 13:59:05

colin ­ uk
Joined Jan 2003
254 posts
North West UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Is it a Lexar card? Theres a few post about problems with Lexar cards http://photography-on-the.net ...?t=104563&highlight​=lexar

Post #5, Oct 23, 2005 14:10:51 as a reply to zwina's post 11 minutes earlier.

Using Canon EOS 40D

sponsored links
sti ­ jaguar
Joined Oct 2005
348 posts
Chicago IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had a CF card read error before. Then I reformatted and the card was fine and so I continued to shoot a bunch of pics. Then the card had CF error again so i lost the pics that I just took. I reformatted again....took some pics and the card seemed fine. Then suddenly I got a CF card error again and lost all my pics.

I finally got the hint and bought a new card.

Post #6, Oct 23, 2005 14:52:47

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,190 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

zwina wrote:
thanks guys for your answers :)
ssim: How can i reformat if I can see anything in the camera screen ( have just the error message)
Jon: unfortunatly ny card reader do not recognize the card since the error message

Sounds like your only options are to replace it under warranty, or replace it out of warranty. If it's out of warranty, you needn't feel tied to that particular brand. FWIW, I like SanDisk Ultra IIs.

Post #7, Oct 23, 2005 17:39:28 as a reply to zwina's post 3 hours earlier.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

phil1664
Joined Oct 2005
94 posts
Manchester, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

ZWINA,

I've had the ERROR 02 message and it was the card. I tried formatting it and got nowhere with it. I returned it to the shop where I bought it and they refunded the money, no questions, which was nice as I could buy a new card double the size for the same cash!

If it's still in warranty, shouldn't be a problem. If it's out, will have to see. If you live in the UK, there are laws which will help you get a replacement, if you're outside, not too sure

Good luck

Post #8, Oct 24, 2005 04:59:04

www.minus9photography.​co.ukexternal link

Feedback always welcome!

TWRX
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2004
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I received the same error message after mistakenly formatting my CF card in the computer. Don't do this! Always, format in the camera. I've heard that it has to do with the way the file directory gets messed up by the computer and the camera can't associate the correct data block with the directory.

I corrected my problem by reformatting the camera in my MAC using Mac OS X and writing zeros to the entire CF card. The camera was then able to see the card as just a regular "unformatted" CF card rather than some ERROR 02.

Good luck to you!

Post #9, Oct 15, 2007 02:17:56

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,190 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

TWRX wrote in post #4125681external link
I received the same error message after mistakenly formatting my CF card in the computer. Don't do this! Always, format in the camera. I've heard that it has to do with the way the file directory gets messed up by the computer and the camera can't associate the correct data block with the directory.

I corrected my problem by reformatting the camera in my MAC using Mac OS X and writing zeros to the entire CF card. The camera was then able to see the card as just a regular "unformatted" CF card rather than some ERROR 02.

Good luck to you!

If you got a card error after formatting the card in your computer, the card was about to fail anyhow. Aren't you glad it didn't go in mid-shoot? The computer and camera put the exact same FAT16 or FAT32 tables and directory structure on the card. The computer's somewhat more rigorous about it however, which is why a card may fail there. IMO a card that fails once is about to fail again. It gets retired to a less-rigorous use. And all my cards get reformatted in the computer before being returned to use.

Post #10, Oct 18, 2007 11:53:52

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sullos
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2008
1 post
Sydney
[MORE/SHARE]

is there any way to determine (as shops are shut right now) that its not a camera fault?

Post #11, Dec 18, 2008 02:38:29

sponsored links
Ivoryplum
"I don't have the balls"
Joined Dec 2008
432 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

sullos wrote in post #6901171external link
is there any way to determine (as shops are shut right now) that its not a camera fault?

Sure, if you have another CF card (or borrow one from a friend) and check to see if its the cameras fault.

But as others have stated above, that error means it has to do with the CF card.

Post #12, Dec 18, 2008 03:46:58

Canon 50D {Gripped} | 20D | 580EX II
70-200mm f/4L USM | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 28-300mm f/4-6.3 | Canon 28-90 f/4-5.6 | Manfrotto 190XPROB w/ 322RC2 Ball Head | Vertex 100AW
- Photography page - http://yestrdaysforgiv​n.deviantart.com/external link
- Need Photo Editing?

Can(-_-)n
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2011
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm using the Lexar 4gb CF card with my 10D, and even after formatting it twice I still have the same issue. from what I see here, and some of the reading I've done. Scandisk is the better option? I also notice the error-2 code doesn't come up as much when I shoot JPEG. Shooting RAW, the code came every other shot.

Post #13, Jun 30, 2012 21:05:46

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,050 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

No, Sandisk cards are not really any better than Lexar, IMO. I have a bunch of each.

There were some problems years ago, with Lexar cards in Canon cameras... But if I recall correctly, it was older, smaller cards... not 4GB.

Inspect the memory card sockets, both in the camera and the end of the card itself. Look for any bent or broken pins.

If it's having more trouble recording RAW, those files are larger and more of a chore to write to the card.

Do you regularly format your memory card in your camera? Have you ever formatted it in your computer or used the card in a different brand of camera? Sometimes stray data or incorrect file structure can cause problems. That's why it's so important to regularly format it in camera.

There are memory card testing softwares. In fact, one of the better ones is in Lexars image recovery software. It can check the card and if there's a problem, might be able to fix it (after which it should always be formatted in the camera).

Try another card... that would tell you if it's the card or if it's the camera.

Post #14, Jun 30, 2012 21:51:52

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

drew ­ baby
Joined Jun 2012
25 posts
Durham U.K.
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi All,
ive just started getting the "error 2 " message on my screen, everything worked perfectly till i printed photo`s off the card at a supermarket photo lab, usually i upload shots to my p.c. then print off my own printer, but with the price of ink i thought i`d try this process.
CF Card is a Sandisk 16gb 60MB/S so you can imagine my dismay as its only months old, ive tried to format the card in camera and p.c. to no avail so i guess its time for a new card, but why the supermarket printer has killed the card i`ve no idea.

Post #15, Feb 16, 2013 06:46:32

Canon 7D,Canon 450D, 18-55 mm Ef-s 18-135 mm Ef-s Tamron 70-300 Macro, Speedlite 468 Flash

LIST NEARBY THREADS
33,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
ERROR 02
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES