Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #1
zwina

Question ERROR 02

Hi all,
I've a EOS 300D, and a CF card of 1GB.
I've this error message: ERROR 2 on the LCD screen and could not even open the menu and format the card.
Do you have any ideas?
thanks a lot
zwina is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #2
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

Default Re: ERROR 02

Error 02 is related to the CF card. You could try putting it back in and then try reformatting again. It is possible tht your card has gone south on you. Check to see what the warranty time on the specific card that you have is.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #3
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Have you tried reformatting the card (full, not quick, format) in your computer? This will require you to have a CF reader, but they're so handy you should have one anyway.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #4
zwina

thanks guys for your answers
ssim: How can i reformat if I can see anything in the camera screen ( have just the error message)
Jon: unfortunatly ny card reader do not recognize the card since the error message
zwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #5
colin uk

Is it a Lexar card? Theres a few post about problems with Lexar cards http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ighlight=lexar
colin uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #6
sti jaguar

I've had a CF card read error before. Then I reformatted and the card was fine and so I continued to shoot a bunch of pics. Then the card had CF error again so i lost the pics that I just took. I reformatted again....took some pics and the card seemed fine. Then suddenly I got a CF card error again and lost all my pics.

I finally got the hint and bought a new card.
sti jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of October 2005 (Sun)   #7
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwina
thanks guys for your answers
ssim: How can i reformat if I can see anything in the camera screen ( have just the error message)
Jon: unfortunatly ny card reader do not recognize the card since the error message
Sounds like your only options are to replace it under warranty, or replace it out of warranty. If it's out of warranty, you needn't feel tied to that particular brand. FWIW, I like SanDisk Ultra IIs.

Cocker Spaniels

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Old 24th of October 2005 (Mon)   #8
phil1664

ZWINA,

I've had the ERROR 02 message and it was the card. I tried formatting it and got nowhere with it. I returned it to the shop where I bought it and they refunded the money, no questions, which was nice as I could buy a new card double the size for the same cash!

If it's still in warranty, shouldn't be a problem. If it's out, will have to see. If you live in the UK, there are laws which will help you get a replacement, if you're outside, not too sure

Good luck
phil1664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of October 2007 (Mon)   #9
TWRX

I received the same error message after mistakenly formatting my CF card in the computer. Don't do this! Always, format in the camera. I've heard that it has to do with the way the file directory gets messed up by the computer and the camera can't associate the correct data block with the directory.

I corrected my problem by reformatting the camera in my MAC using Mac OS X and writing zeros to the entire CF card. The camera was then able to see the card as just a regular "unformatted" CF card rather than some ERROR 02.

Good luck to you!
TWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of October 2007 (Thu)   #10
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRX View Post
I received the same error message after mistakenly formatting my CF card in the computer. Don't do this! Always, format in the camera. I've heard that it has to do with the way the file directory gets messed up by the computer and the camera can't associate the correct data block with the directory.

I corrected my problem by reformatting the camera in my MAC using Mac OS X and writing zeros to the entire CF card. The camera was then able to see the card as just a regular "unformatted" CF card rather than some ERROR 02.

Good luck to you!
If you got a card error after formatting the card in your computer, the card was about to fail anyhow. Aren't you glad it didn't go in mid-shoot? The computer and camera put the exact same FAT16 or FAT32 tables and directory structure on the card. The computer's somewhat more rigorous about it however, which is why a card may fail there. IMO a card that fails once is about to fail again. It gets retired to a less-rigorous use. And all my cards get reformatted in the computer before being returned to use.

Cocker Spaniels

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Old 18th of December 2008 (Thu)   #11
sullos

is there any way to determine (as shops are shut right now) that its not a camera fault?
sullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of December 2008 (Thu)   #12
Ivoryplum
"I don't have the balls"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullos View Post
is there any way to determine (as shops are shut right now) that its not a camera fault?
Sure, if you have another CF card (or borrow one from a friend) and check to see if its the cameras fault.

But as others have stated above, that error means it has to do with the CF card.
- Need Photo Editing?
Ivoryplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of June 2012 (Sat)   #13
Can(-_-)n

I'm using the Lexar 4gb CF card with my 10D, and even after formatting it twice I still have the same issue. from what I see here, and some of the reading I've done. Scandisk is the better option? I also notice the error-2 code doesn't come up as much when I shoot JPEG. Shooting RAW, the code came every other shot.

Last edited by Can(-_-)n : 30th of June 2012 (Sat) at 21:08.
Can(-_-)n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of June 2012 (Sat)   #14
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

No, Sandisk cards are not really any better than Lexar, IMO. I have a bunch of each.

There were some problems years ago, with Lexar cards in Canon cameras... But if I recall correctly, it was older, smaller cards... not 4GB.

Inspect the memory card sockets, both in the camera and the end of the card itself. Look for any bent or broken pins.

If it's having more trouble recording RAW, those files are larger and more of a chore to write to the card.

Do you regularly format your memory card in your camera? Have you ever formatted it in your computer or used the card in a different brand of camera? Sometimes stray data or incorrect file structure can cause problems. That's why it's so important to regularly format it in camera.

There are memory card testing softwares. In fact, one of the better ones is in Lexars image recovery software. It can check the card and if there's a problem, might be able to fix it (after which it should always be formatted in the camera).

Try another card... that would tell you if it's the card or if it's the camera.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of February 2013 (Sat)   #15
drew baby

Hi All,
ive just started getting the "error 2 " message on my screen, everything worked perfectly till i printed photo`s off the card at a supermarket photo lab, usually i upload shots to my p.c. then print off my own printer, but with the price of ink i thought i`d try this process.
CF Card is a Sandisk 16gb 60MB/S so you can imagine my dismay as its only months old, ive tried to format the card in camera and p.c. to no avail so i guess its time for a new card, but why the supermarket printer has killed the card i`ve no idea.