Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 01 Aug 2011 (Monday) 13:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: THE MOST IMPORTANT POST, EVER

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Pekka. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 01, 2011 13:35 |  #1

Now that you opened this post in great interest, you must read it and memorize it.

Just now I banned a member who had about 60 members targeted for scam. I PM'd all those 60 a serious warning after I verified the tip and banned the scammer. Immediately, I got PM replies like "Yes, he seemed fishy because... (various reasons from cheap prices to not giving proper info and photos of gear)".

This is the third or fourth time the same pattern happens. I can see that people sense a scam and after a week when I get notified the scammer has done the scam for many members. I send warnings and half of the people reply "yes I guessed that"!

Help us to help you.

What I want to ask from each and every one of you is that

if you smell something fishy, IMMEDIATELY report it to moderators. Reporting is easy if you open one post of the fishy one and click the "More info | Report" You'll see the big report post sign on the same are, click that to start your report. Explain the situation and we'll have a look. You may also PM me directly.

<---- Reports are started from "More info | Report" command, found on the left of the post.

I can often verify a scammer by PM's (I'm the only one with PM access) and other hard evidence, but I can not scan all data all day long. Please report all contacts that make you feel suspicious, they might not all lead to scammer getting caught but I'd love to check it out.

--------

How do you recognize a scam?

Best detection tool is your own feelings. If it does not feel right, then trust you feelings. Some other pointers are:

Scammers almost always sell what they do not have. Ask for more pictures with written notes like "POTN rules and duck is yellow", ask RAW test shots taken now, ask a shot of him taking the test shot with both the camera and test shot subject showing. Ask all the things you can think of.

Scammers sell what you need. They reply fast, they change price fast, they use copy-paste type of phrases.

Scammers try to get you buy fast. Cheap price for mint condition is not a sound recipe, is it?

Scammers try to get 30 posts fast in order to get into Marketplace. The posts they do are generic comments and never real discussions or contributions. Check the post history, if all 30+ posts are done in a day after being registered three months ago, well it does not look good.

Scammers want Paypal gift.

Google the username and other info you get.

Read also this: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=292688 and feel free to comment.

--------
Thanks,

Pekka

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
smacatl
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Atlanta, GA
Aug 01, 2011 13:44 |  #2

Pekka

Thanks for all you do to keep this a great site!

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,028 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Aug 01, 2011 13:44 |  #3

Thanks pekka

websiteexternal link

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Michigan, home of the Zombie plague
Aug 01, 2011 13:51 |  #4

The WTB section is so dangerous it makes me wonder if it's even worth having in the first place. I still think it's a good idea to make the WTB section invisible to non-registered... might deter some scammers from signing up in the first place.

Never thought about reporting listings that advertised "paypal gift only". Makes sense if the seller is new with only 30 postings, but otherwise there are quite a few sellers who make that demand.

My Gearlist

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010
Ventura, California
Aug 01, 2011 13:56 |  #5

I've sold several pieces of equipment and lowered the price if I didn't have to post photos of the gear. And, a few times, I've insisted on PayPal personal payment because the buyer didn't have verifiable references.

But, unlike a scammer, I don't mind being pinned down on personal specifics. I will gladly give you my neighbor's phone number, my wife's boss's name, my auto mechanic's address, etc. so that a buyer can easily ascertain that I am a real person with a good reputation in a real community. Even if a scammer is willing to provide some personal information, it is rarely consistent at any level beyond a superficial glance.

It's important to not only verify the specifics of the merchandise but also to verify the specifics of the seller because even with the most pristine appearing gear, the buyer still ends up relying on the seller's word.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Aug 01, 2011 13:58 as a reply to cacawcacaw's post |  #6

Cool Beans Pekka!

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Portland, OR
Aug 01, 2011 14:02 |  #7

This will/has happened on every forum I've been on. People need to start using common sense and knowing the difference between a good deal and a straight up scam. Thanks for the update Pekka. Nice to know you guys still look out and do the work instead of turning a blind eye like some other sites I'm on.

-Chris-Websiteexternal link||external linkFacebookexternal link|| My Flickrexternal link|| Follow me!!! 500pxexternal link ||external link 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

jeev
Goldmember
1,549 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Aug 01, 2011 14:49 |  #8

Thanks for the pointers to pick the scammers. Folks should realize it is a matter of common sense and report ASAP for any one sensing a scam type PM's.. Let's do our job to keep the community clean...

1d4|5D3|85LII|50L|200F2LIS|500 F4L IS|
2.8/21 ZE|2/35 ZE|2/100 MP ZE|T* 50mm f/1.7 C/Y|
16-35II|70-200II|

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 01, 2011 14:58 |  #9

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12858440external link
Never thought about reporting listings that advertised "paypal gift only". Makes sense if the seller is new with only 30 postings, but otherwise there are quite a few sellers who make that demand.

That Paypal gift is only one of the possible indicators, not the only one. You do not need to report all people who ask for Paypal gift.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Aug 01, 2011 14:58 |  #10

I try to report spam/scams as soon as I see them.

You need to exercise due diligence when purchasing used items anywhere online. That goes without saying!

Feedback history, post content, member history, etc, etc.

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

biggcstylez
465 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Aug 01, 2011 15:36 |  #11

Thanks for everything you do to keep this site such a fun and safe place to post, shop, and sell.

You guys rock!!!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/biggcstylez/external link
Gear: Canon 5D Mark II | 35 f1.4L | Σ 85 f1.4 | 135 f2L | 580EXII | 430EXII x2 |

Buckeye1
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
Aug 01, 2011 15:37 |  #12

Keep in mind that many good folks respond to the WTB section, so don't let a few bad apples ruin others' method/opportunities. Just because someone pm you via the wtb thread does not make them a bad apple.

Use due diligence, check the seller's feedback, ask for pics as the mod has indicated. Paypal gift is an indicator, but not exclusive. E-check could have been a warning sign too, but that option may not work now due to the 3% fees. Again, many good sellers in this forum ask for gift and e-check, which I myself included.

Thanks moderators for keeping us honest.

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12858440external link
The WTB section is so dangerous it makes me wonder if it's even worth having in the first place. I still think it's a good idea to make the WTB section invisible to non-registered... might deter some scammers from signing up in the first place.

ps_n_dslr
408 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 01, 2011 15:46 |  #13

Thanks Pekka! Your actions are very helpful in making POTN one of the well respected and trusted boards on the net.

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Aug 01, 2011 18:41 |  #14

cacawcacaw wrote in post #12858463external link
But, unlike a scammer, I don't mind being pinned down on personal specifics. I will gladly give you my neighbor's phone number, my wife's boss's name, my auto mechanic's address, etc. so that a buyer can easily ascertain that I am a real person with a good reputation in a real community. Even if a scammer is willing to provide some personal information, it is rarely consistent at any level beyond a superficial glance.

It's important to not only verify the specifics of the merchandise but also to verify the specifics of the seller because even with the most pristine appearing gear, the buyer still ends up relying on the seller's word.

ABSOLUTELY
Anonymity has no place in a sales transaction. Ask for personal information and verify.
If the person balks then walk.

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,028 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Aug 01, 2011 18:44 |  #15

I really like the way the FM does there sales with the feedback by there avatar. Maybe this could be possible in the update?

websiteexternal link

sponsored links

28,200 views & 2 likes for this thread
THE MOST IMPORTANT POST, EVER
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.