Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #1
globethrottle

Default EOS Utility not working through a Generic USB Hub

Just cant get my new usb extension working. All I get is an MTP device not installing correctly. Without this USB-hub everything works perfectly, same for my XP partition running on WMWare player. Im on windows 7 64.

Anyone had similar problems?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #2
stsva
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: EOS Utility not working through a Generic USB Hub

I think it's very common to have errors associated with USB connections, especially when using a hub and not the plugs that are connected directly into the computer. That obviously doesn't help your issue, but points to the probable reason its happening.
Club and
HAMSTTR
Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...hlight=hamsttr Join today!
stsva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #3
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Have you tried using the hub with something else, and if so does it work properly? I assume you are trying to use it with your camera plugged in?

And, when you say "generic" is it an older USB 1 hub or a USB 2.0 hub? I don't know if that would have anything to do with your problem, but it sure would affect the speed/performance!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #4
globethrottle

It turns up as an Generic USB-device in system properties, and I guess its an normal 2.0 usb, and it works fine under XP with the same camera attached.
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #5
tonylong

OK, it sounds like you are using a Mac? I don't have one, so I can't help much with that. If you are using Win7, well, I've seen different behaviors between Win7 and XP. I have an old USB thumbnail drive that comes up fine with XP but not with Win7. All the other stuff that I've used on my Win7 laptop work, just not this one device.

So, you may want to try out a newer hub. All my hubs are powered full USB 2.0 as well (the power prevents them from getting "dragged" down from USB 1 devices).
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #6
greenjeans

I'm running Win 7 64 with an old 4 port USB hub that I've had for years with no problem. My camera connection is through one of those ports. Doesn't help your problem, but they will work.
greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #7
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

It may not be the hub, it might be the particular USB port the hub is plugged into on the computer and whether it's the proper port. I'm not fully versed with USB, but I seem to recall reading that some motherboards have shared USB ports and some have solitary USB ports, or a mix, and some software and devices won't operate on a shared port. I know that my Spyder colorimeter is touchy in that regard.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #8
tonylong

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans View Post
I'm running Win 7 64 with an old 4 port USB hub that I've had for years with no problem. My camera connection is through one of those ports. Doesn't help your problem, but they will work.
I agree that hubs (or whatever) should work -- the question I would have about my little thumbnail drive is why it doesn't work, and whether this in some ways ties in to the problem the OP is having!
Old 6th of August 2011 (Sat)   #9
xarqi
Cream of the Crop

It's not impossible. I have a 7-port powered USB-2 hub attached to my iMac with 4 disc drives, a printer, and a cable for uploads from my 30D. I use the 7th from time to time for a USB memory stick. I just hooked everything up and it worked. Disc-to-disc transfers are really slow, as you might expect, but that's not a frequent activity.
xarqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2011 (Sun)   #10
globethrottle

Ok, the problem with my USB hub is that it works with anything else than the EOS utility, it even work with the EOS utility as long as Im not on my win 7 partition, so Im guessing it is some faulty drivers or something like that on this partition. Have not given up quite yet.
Old 7th of August 2011 (Sun)   #11
globethrottle

Solved with alittle bit of cable-cutting, rewiring and tape. Basically I just dropped the "hub" at the end of the cable.