Few questions about printing(what pixel size for 4x6 prints and prints come out dark)

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 24 Oct 2005 (Monday) 19:34   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

fiery360
Joined Feb 2005
26 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

Two general questions about printing:
1) When printing 4x6, what is an acceptable pixel size? Or is it better to just specify the size of prints? For example, I usually convert the raw file into jpeg and the resulting picture size is about 2700 X 2200 pixels (I have 20D camera). I think 2700 X 2200 pixel size is an overkill for 4x6 prints. I usually print my 4x6 prints from online and it would help me if my file sizes are smaller.

2) When I print my pictures, the pictures come out dark. Thus I tend to change the exposure setting to more positive - thus adding more brightness to my picture. I have tried editing my pictures on both Dell 1905 Flat Panel and Dell 21" CRT monitors - and pictures come out dark. I am thinking maybe I need to calibrate my monitors. I have Canon Pixma 8500 printer and I usually use the Canon printing software. Generally I can compensate for the dark picture by adding the option from the Canon printing software (by changing the "face brightness" option).

Thank you....

Post #1, Oct 24, 2005 19:34:26

30D
Canon Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 28-135mm, 17-85mm IS
Sigma EF500 DG Super Flash

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
elTwitcho
frustrating as ....
Joined Sep 2005
1,478 posts
Toronto
[MORE/SHARE]

If your pictures are dark, you need to calibrate your monitor.

As for printing, what I do is this. I find out the resolution of the printer being used, and then I resize to the appropriate size for that resolution. If you're using photoshop it's fairly easy to do under the "image size" menu. First set the resolution according to the max resolution of your printer, and then set the image size to the image size you want printed. This will give you exactly the amount of pixels you need, no more, no less. If you want to save on pixel space, you can set the resolution to something less than your printer's maximum, however you'll experience a degradation in quality as a result.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #2, Oct 24, 2005 20:28:41

Rich
Some of my recent projects
Portraits from 2007external link
Urban Galleryexternal link
Where Toronto Was Builtexternal link
People and suchexternal link

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
15,425 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

My monitor is calibarated but when I print the pics are too dark. I have to increase brightness 20-30% for it to come out of the printer similar to what is on the monitor. This is with and Epson esc880.

KAC

Post #3, Oct 24, 2005 21:05:51

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

HrcRacing
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,019 posts
NE Florida, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You can also do the resizing by using the Crop Tool and pre-setting your width, height and PPI. Depending on the print size ratio, you may get the entire image in the crop.
For example, I shoot Large/Fine Jpeg which is 3072 pxW x 2048 pxH. I can set the width to "6 in", the height to "4 in" and the PPI to 300 or whatever, and I get a full image crop. If I'm doing multiple 4x6's, PS keeps what was last used and I just drag the crop tool around and click on the checkmark. Very simple.
With the above, you'd loose some of the image when cropping 5x7 or 8x10 prints but it's great for 4x6.
Best of luck.

Post #4, Oct 24, 2005 23:59:28 as a reply to kenyc's post 2 hours earlier.

Robert

Canon 40D | Canon EOS Elan 7

elTwitcho
frustrating as ....
Joined Sep 2005
1,478 posts
Toronto
[MORE/SHARE]

HrcRacing wrote:
With the above, you'd loose some of the image when cropping 5x7 or 8x10 prints but it's great for 4x6.
Best of luck.

This is (or can be) true and something to look out for. My shots just have a 1/4 inch white border above and beneath the image itself when printed, which I'm not overly bothered by, not as much as having to recrop the image anyway. It is something I should have mentioned though

Post #5, Oct 25, 2005 00:54:25 as a reply to HrcRacing's post 54 minutes earlier.

Rich
Some of my recent projects
Portraits from 2007external link
Urban Galleryexternal link
Where Toronto Was Builtexternal link
People and suchexternal link

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,108 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

My shots just have a 1/4 inch white border above and beneath the image itself when printed, which I'm not overly bothered by, not as much as having to recrop the image anyway.

I like the results from Image>Canvas Size with the background color black. Then crop & get a black border. Try it sometime.

Post #6, Oct 25, 2005 08:48:25

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

fiery360
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
26 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you for the info. everyone! :)

Post #7, Oct 25, 2005 10:24:04 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post 1 hour earlier.

30D
Canon Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 28-135mm, 17-85mm IS
Sigma EF500 DG Super Flash

MattyB
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
1,661 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

i don't touch the pixels in my photos, i up the DPI/PPI (resolution - pixels/inch) to 300 and then make sure they're cropped at the right ratio

i struggled to fit 100 photos on 1 CD as data, heh. most are well over 3000 pixels in the longest diameter.

Post #8, Oct 25, 2005 11:16:34

Matt Bennell
Camera: Canon EOS 300D DSLR Black
Extras: 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, Tripod, Imagination
[SIZE=1]Field: You name it, I've shot it.. Or about to shoot it today :lol:
Recently Updated Folio/Gallery -> http://mbp.fotopic.net​/external link

zacker
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
6,005 posts
Oxford, CT.
[MORE/SHARE]

I PRINT ALL MY 4 X 6'S AT 300dpi AND they come out great.
-zacker-

Post #9, Oct 25, 2005 11:29:51

http://www.theanimalha​ven.comexternal link
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hyexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​sexternal link

HrcRacing
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,019 posts
NE Florida, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Matt,
Could you explain your process a little more? Are you saying that you uncheck the Resample Image box to maintain, for example 3072 x 2048 pixels then adjust the document size and/or PPI? When I do that, my resolution goes from 180 to 512. If I adjust the PPI to 300, the document size goes to around 6x10.
In other words, I'm loosing total pixels to maintain a 4x6 document size at 300 PPI or, if I maintain the pixels, my PPI is 512.

Post #10, Oct 25, 2005 11:43:30 as a reply to MattyB's post 26 minutes earlier.

Robert

sharenwalls
Joined Aug 2005
33 posts
Central Arkansas
[MORE/SHARE]

If i shoot with the Canon 20D i crop my images to 11x16.5@ 300dpi. This size prints pretty good and is less than the original when coming in straight from the camera.

http://www.sharenwalls​.comexternal link

Post #11, Oct 25, 2005 11:53:54

Sharen Walls

sponsored links
MattyB
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
1,661 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

HrcRacing wrote:
Matt,
Could you explain your process a little more? Are you saying that you uncheck the Resample Image box to maintain, for example 3072 x 2048 pixels then adjust the document size and/or PPI? When I do that, my resolution goes from 180 to 512. If I adjust the PPI to 300, the document size goes to around 6x10.
In other words, I'm loosing total pixels to maintain a 4x6 document size at 300 PPI or, if I maintain the pixels, my PPI is 512.

i don't uncheck anything, - this is what i do

out of the camera, my shots are 180DPI (if jpeg, 300 if they're raw)
i open them in photoshop CS2
i select the "rectangular marquee tool"
set it to "Fixed Aspect Ratio" of 4 wide, and 6 high (or vise versa if it's landscape)
then i select what i want,
i go image > crop
then i goto image > image size
and in image size, i change the '180' in "resolution" under the document size (pixels/inch) to 300
when doing the 180 to 300 - the pixels will change, but the document size should stay how it is, ignore everything else, it'll constrain proporsions.

wallah, the image will look bigger on your screen, but don't stress. it's not blowing out any pixels unless you're printing it on the side of a truck, haha

did that make sence? ask me if you don't understand anything

Post #12, Oct 25, 2005 12:09:26 as a reply to HrcRacing's post 25 minutes earlier.

Matt Bennell
Camera: Canon EOS 300D DSLR Black
Extras: 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, Tripod, Imagination
[SIZE=1]Field: You name it, I've shot it.. Or about to shoot it today :lol:
Recently Updated Folio/Gallery -> http://mbp.fotopic.net​/external link

HrcRacing
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,019 posts
NE Florida, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Okay, I got you. Sounds like just another way of arriving at the same thing. I use the Crop Tool instead and set the width/height/PPI in the tool bar and it does it all at once.
Thanks. :grin:

Post #13, Oct 26, 2005 13:24:45 as a reply to MattyB's post 1 day earlier.

Robert

LIST NEARBY THREADS
26,116 views & 0 likes for this thread
Few questions about printing(what pixel size for 4x6 prints and prints come out dark)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES