Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Bird Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of August 2011 (Tue)   #1
JTX

Default When is Hummingbird Season in Texas?

Does anyone in the state know when these birds start to migrate down into the area?

I just put out a feeder as it looks like Aug-Oct is when they migrate, but would like to know if I'm wasting the nectar in late August.

I'm in South Texas, San Antonio area if anyone is in the area that likes to shoot these birds. Looking to get some bird shots with my feeder.

Thanks!

7D / 28-135, 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain
JTX is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of August 2011 (Tue)   #2
txcanon
Goldmember

Default Re: When is Hummingbird Season in Texas?

Hummingbirds are here right now. You are not wasting nectar. We keep our feeder up till the first freeze. They get here about mid March and stay through about mid October. We were just in Kerrville and the Hummers are everywhere.
Hope you get some shots!
Old 16th of August 2011 (Tue)   #3
JTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcanon View Post
Hummingbirds are here right now. You are not wasting nectar. We keep our feeder up till the first freeze. They get here about mid March and stay through about mid October. We were just in Kerrville and the Hummers are everywhere.
Hope you get some shots!

A reply! Hey thanks. I was wondering if I was too early or not. I have not seen any yet, but it's only been hanging on the back porch for a day or so.

ETA: Any suggestions on a flower bush to help attract them, or are the feeders the best way?

7D / 28-135, 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII

Last edited by JTX : 17th of August 2011 (Wed) at 00:36.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of August 2011 (Wed)   #4
txcanon
Goldmember

It's a good time for Hummingbirds right now because the juveniles are old enough and are coming to the feeders along with the adults. Although in our backyard we haven't seen as many Hummers as years past but that is probably because of the drought we are currently experiencing. Give them a few days and they will find your feeder.

Our Hummers usually stick to the feeder... We do have a Cypress vine in the backyard that the Hummers occasionally go to and we've also had luck with Mexican Sages in the past. Plants like Bee-balm and Trumpet vines attract Hummingbirds. Texas lantana is also a good plant and is native.
Old 17th of August 2011 (Wed)   #5
JTX

Quote:
It's a good time for Hummingbirds right now because the juveniles are old enough and are coming to the feeders along with the adults. Although in our backyard we haven't seen as many Hummers as years past but that is probably because of the drought we are currently experiencing. Give them a few days and they will find your feeder.

Our Hummers usually stick to the feeder... We do have a Cypress vine in the backyard that the Hummers occasionally go to and we've also had luck with Mexican Sages in the past. Plants like Bee-balm and Trumpet vines attract Hummingbirds. Texas lantana is also a good plant and is native.

Great suggestions. I will check home depot for some plants/vines to plant this fall. I just saw a bird at the feeder a few minutes ago actually! They are certainly in the area. Now I just have to keep my stupid dog from barking at the feeder.

Great gallery of bird shots you have also BTW!

Old 18th of August 2011 (Thu)   #6
JTX

Is there a hummer FAQ here someplace that I'm not seeing? I have only seen one bird at my feeder. Wondering if they dont like my nectar from home depot.

How often should I flush, replace the fluid?

Last edited by JTX : 18th of August 2011 (Thu) at 09:26.
Old 18th of August 2011 (Thu)   #7
txcanon
Goldmember

If there is a FAQ here I'm not seeing it either. lol Our Hummers are more active in the evenings when it's not so hot and out of the sun.

We use a Hummingbird formula of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Bring the water to a boil and add sugar. Let the sugar dissolve. Let it cool and serve. We replace the fluid at least once a week.

Also thanks for the complement on my gallery.
Old 18th of August 2011 (Thu)   #8
Duane N
Cream of the Crop

Some say the red dye used in the store bought food is bad for the kidneys of the Hummingbirds. Not sure if it's true or not but I could see something like food dye messing with them. I make my own as TX suggested...cheaper and I replace mine about every 4 days or when it starts to get cloudy. I clean the feeder with a mild bleach soloution and rinse really good...don't use any types of detergent because it leaves an odor that may prevent the Hummingbirds from feeding.
Old 19th of August 2011 (Fri)   #9
JTX

Quote:
If there is a FAQ here I'm not seeing it either. lol Our Hummers are more active in the evenings when it's not so hot and out of the sun.

We use a Hummingbird formula of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Bring the water to a boil and add sugar. Let the sugar dissolve. Let it cool and serve. We replace the fluid at least once a week.

Also thanks for the complement on my gallery.
I'm going to try the sugar/water method once I Run out of this premix from homedepot. It may simply be there are not many birds here yet.

Old 19th of August 2011 (Fri)   #10
JTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane N View Post
Some say the red dye used in the store bought food is bad for the kidneys of the Hummingbirds. Not sure if it's true or not but I could see something like food dye messing with them. I make my own as TX suggested...cheaper and I replace mine about every 4 days or when it starts to get cloudy. I clean the feeder with a mild bleach soloution and rinse really good...don't use any types of detergent because it leaves an odor that may prevent the Hummingbirds from feeding.

The food I had in there was there about three days. SO I changed it out and cleaned it with some bleach and water. Thought maybe there was an odd smell or something since It was new.

So far no more activity.

Old 21st of August 2011 (Sun)   #11
ardeekay
Goldmember

My 2 cents worth:
I use the 4 to 1 mix(no red) bring to boil if you wish and may not change every 3-4 days, otherwise just heat to aid in dissolving the sugar. I cool and store in salvaged water bottles in fridge. Change as mentioned but I just rinse out feeder w/ hot tap water. Don't hang in the sun, gets superheated w/ rays entering thru the glass. I have the most activity at daybreak and dusk(great for picture-taking, right?). I love the ant moats-cups w/water that hang right above the feeder. Keep ants at bay and finches, chickadees, etc. drink from them all the time. Hang out close to feeders if you have the time-they tend to get used to you being around. Good luck!
Old 21st of August 2011 (Sun)   #12
JTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeekay View Post
My 2 cents worth:
I use the 4 to 1 mix(no red) bring to boil if you wish and may not change every 3-4 days, otherwise just heat to aid in dissolving the sugar. I cool and store in salvaged water bottles in fridge. Change as mentioned but I just rinse out feeder w/ hot tap water. Don't hang in the sun, gets superheated w/ rays entering thru the glass. I have the most activity at daybreak and dusk(great for picture-taking, right?). I love the ant moats-cups w/water that hang right above the feeder. Keep ants at bay and finches, chickadees, etc. drink from them all the time. Hang out close to feeders if you have the time-they tend to get used to you being around. Good luck!

Thanks for the pointers. It's in the shade for sure here in TX. The temps are way over 100'F in the afternoons.

I have not seen another bird at the feeder all week, and no drips to indicate feeding or change in level of fluid.

I'm hoping it's just a bit early.

Old 22nd of August 2011 (Mon)   #13
ardeekay
Goldmember

Do you have other attractions in the area-neighbors w/ flowers, etc? More is probably better, but I suspect they could find a single blossom in a desert.
Old 22nd of August 2011 (Mon)   #14
Silverfox1
Goldmember

This is undoubtedly the worst year i have ever seen for Hummers in this Texas region. In normal rainfall years we start seeing them return from there Northern nesting grounds in late July & early August & stay thru October. So far i have seen a total of just one pass by last week on 3 feeders. We have had only around 6 inches of rain here since Jan. which is definitely a 50 yr. or 100 yr. drought we are experiencing.

Regards,
Old 22nd of August 2011 (Mon)   #15
JTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeekay View Post
Do you have other attractions in the area-neighbors w/ flowers, etc? More is probably better, but I suspect they could find a single blossom in a desert.

No we have very little because of the lack of rain. my yard is brown as can be. I think this spring though, I'm going to put out a birdbath and a couple of potted plants that the hummers will like. My neighbors to the left have a bunch, but I dont see anything the hummers would like.

Like I said, only saw one bird so far. The dog barked at it, and it never came back. I'm hoping the damn dog didn't spook them all away.