Thread started 25 Oct 2005 (Tuesday) 21:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

schmoelzel
Lord of the Holy Trinity
Joined Aug 2001
1,886 posts
London (Canada)
[MORE/SHARE]

Greetings from London Ontario, where the hot and humid summer has fallen by the wayside and the beautiful fall colours are out in full-force; and yes, the temperatures are decidedly cooler. Thanks to Drisley (who is now the proud owner of a brand new 70-200F2.8 L), I have now finished my lens quest of attaining Canon's holy trinity of prime lenses (at least for me!!). This includes the EF 35f1.4 L ; EF 85f1.2 L ; and the 135f2.0 L. Yes, you are right in assuming that Drisley has sold his baby (135L) to me. I tried in vain to talk him out of it but he received an excellent deal on the 70-200F2.8 L at Camera Canada and I guess he wants to remain more stationary when he next shoots his BB shows. His loss is my gain and I thank him for the generous deal that he shot my way.

In the next few days I am hoping to do some 'real world' shooting with these three primes (by real world I am talking shots that are NOT of brick walls, printed pages, or odds and ends on a desk!! :) ) and finding out the strengths and weaknesses of these three great optics. So much is always written about them but I have always valued comparison photos of real things rather than studio perfect. I know that the lenses in question are highly regarded in these forums and elsewhere but I want to know for myself that my journey to primes has been worthwhile.

To start (what will probably become a small series of essays concerning my holy trinity), I thought I would show them side by side to give an idea of their relative size.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

SIZE

All three are fairly significant lenses but the king has to be the 85L! This monster is heavy (over 1kg) and has a lot of girth!! While the 135L is 200g heavier than the 35L, they both feel about the same when holding them in your hands.

BUILD QUALITY

Let me say that ALL L lenses that I have tried have impeccable build quality. Each of these lenses just exhudes quality and gives one confidence that they will withstand anything. Both the 85L and the 135L seem to have a more rugged feel to them but the 35L probably has the best 'fit and finish' of the three. One of the most discussed aspects of Canon L lenses is the build quality. Let me just say that these three really do make the non-L lenses look and feel cheap!

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

HOODS

You should always practice 'safe photography' and always always use a hood. Luckily, when you pay the big bucks for an L lens, Canon graciously includes a piece of plastic (way over-priced) that will attach to the end of the lens and act as protection for the glass but more importantly will reduce the incidence of lens flare. I always use the hoods with all my lenses. It makes them look bigger but the protection is better than the glass being exposed to branches, hands, walls, etc etc. As you can see by the photo above, the hoods for these three babies vary in size and style. The 35L has the typical petal-shaped hood that most wide-angle lenses have.....yes, 35mm is considered wide-angle!! The 85L has a strange hood in that it attaches by pinching two tabs on either side of the hood. I find this one easy and convenient to remove while the other two are the typical Canon twist and turn type. What I really dislike about the hood for the 135L is that it is so deep that you can barely get your fingers around the cap to remove it. I wish that Canon caps were the pinch-type that you find on Tamron lenses.......much better design. The hoods all do their thing and are designed well (I guess, since I am not an expert on plastic). They will get scuffed but that to me is a sign of someone caring for the lens. And the winner for the best lens hood is.........the 85L!! :)

Well, that's the first part of my mini-essays concerning Canon's holy trinity of primes. Next time around I will try and present some shots taken with the various lenses and my own humble opinions about them. I hope not to get into the 'this lens is sharper than that lens' type of discussion but invariabley I know that people will want to ask those questions. I think I am safe in saying that all three of these optics are currently at the top end of any optics available for DSLR's and SLR's. Thanks for reading this long-winded diatribe (I did study journalism!! :lol: ) and I welcome any comments, positive and negative!

Post #1, Oct 25, 2005 21:43:51

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
Joined Jun 2005
12,251 posts
Australia.
[MORE/SHARE]

Now you just need the 50mm 1.0... ;)

Post #2, Oct 25, 2005 21:56:26

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.auexternal link Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514external link & 1610/1614external link - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Homeexternal link - FA-100external link

ddelallata
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
1,191 posts
Brownsville, Tx USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Jim G wrote:
Now you just need the 50mm 1.0... ;)

That is more of a collector's item.

Post #3, Oct 25, 2005 22:07:53 as a reply to Jim G's post 11 minutes earlier.

Dr. David de la Llata
Canon EF 1.4X II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM
Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 MACRO USM
Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L USM
Olympus C-2020 (for infrared work)

kawter2
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2004
2,046 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

35 1.4 with a tiffen filter????

Post #4, Oct 25, 2005 22:12:29

Wedding Blogexternal link
Eric J. Weddingsexternal link

kaitanium
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,667 posts
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
[MORE/SHARE]

man i wish i had that much money =P

Post #5, Oct 25, 2005 23:12:01 as a reply to kawter2's post 59 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
jjonsalt
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,502 posts
Central Florida
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

schmoelzel wrote:
I wish that Canon caps were the pinch-type that you find on Tamron lenses.......much better design.

You can buy Tamron caps seperately from the lens.

Post #6, Oct 25, 2005 23:25:10

Maureen ­ Souza
Joined Feb 2005
31,017 posts
Central California
[MORE/SHARE]

Congrats.... I LOVE my 135mm lens. Can't wait to see your masterpieces from it.

Post #7, Oct 25, 2005 23:25:11

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,522 posts
Canberra
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm guessing the next subject of his essays:

"Prime Pilates" - 60 mins a day to a Stronger Shooter. ..

Post #8, Oct 25, 2005 23:36:18

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Imagesexternal link

Poe
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,778 posts
Fresno, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

where can one find a 50mm F/1.0?

Post #9, Oct 25, 2005 23:44:01

7D (RIP?) | Σ 17-50 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | 50 1.4 | TAMRON 60 2.0 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 580EX | MT-24EX |

PetKal
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
11,141 posts
Nizza, Italia
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Not far from 50 F0.95.

Post #10, Oct 25, 2005 23:53:55 as a reply to Poe's post 9 minutes earlier.

Potenza-Walore-Prestigio

Dante ­ King
"Cream of Corn" BurgerMeister
Joined Jan 2005
9,134 posts
San Anselmo, California
[MORE/SHARE]

SCHWING!!!! Man and I was trying to resist getting anything new. Thanks for the info and the droolage. My path is now clear.

Post #11, Oct 25, 2005 23:54:02

Dante
I am not an Lcoholic. Lcoholics go to meetings!
Gear List

sponsored links
Carzee
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,522 posts
Canberra
[MORE/SHARE]

Dante - your 'L-ADD" meds are wearing thin - up the dosage!

Post #12, Oct 25, 2005 23:58:45

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Imagesexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
Joined Nov 2002
8,751 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

MY BABY! HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY! :cry:

Post #13, Oct 26, 2005 00:24:27

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=680947

richardho11
Joined Jun 2005
850 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

WOW! Nice collection there! I want the 85mm 1.2 next!! Hopfully sometime early next year!

Post #14, Oct 26, 2005 00:50:46 as a reply to drisley's post 26 minutes earlier.

http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2962090&postcou​nt=534

soupdragon
Account removed at users request
Joined Apr 2005
963 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

L glass, who needs it, I am more than happywith the kit lens.
And if I keep saying it often enough it will be true won't it?
Grrrrr "I wanna 135 mum" "I want it, I want it I want it":D

Post #15, Oct 26, 2005 01:00:15 as a reply to richardho11's post 9 minutes earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
57,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Primes - The holy trinity!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES