Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 11:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Editing metadata

Steven ­ Dieter
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Aug 21, 2011 11:04 |  #1

This may be a silly question, or one already answered, but do any of the Canon programs (Digital Photo Professional, for example) allow for editing metadata, or can it only be done through Photoshop?

I seem to recall that Nikon's Capture NX2 allows for metadata to be edited at the same time as processing, but I could be mistaken.

I'm just trying to simplify the number of steps and programs needed.

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,197 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Aug 21, 2011 12:10 |  #2

Steven Dieter wrote in post #12972320external link
This may be a silly question, or one already answered, but do any of the Canon programs (Digital Photo Professional, for example) allow for editing metadata, or can it only be done through Photoshop?

It can be done in many programs, but DPP is not one of them.

Elie / אלי

Steven ­ Dieter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Aug 21, 2011 15:14 as a reply to tzalman's post |  #3

I know it can be done in Photoshop. I was wondering if there was the ability to do it in one of the Canon software packages.

tonylong
"Amazingly attractive"
53,855 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Aug 21, 2011 15:51 |  #4

Steven Dieter wrote in post #12973303external link
I know it can be done in Photoshop. I was wondering if there was the ability to do it in one of the Canon software packages.

There doesn't seem to be.

And, to be clear, when you say "Metadata" are you trying to change the shooting Exif stored by the camera, or are you trying to edit the more "descriptive" metadata that software can enter into the file? There is a difference and some apps can enter "descriptive" metadata and change it but not touch the shooting info the camera writes in.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Steven ­ Dieter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Aug 21, 2011 16:38 as a reply to tonylong's post |  #5

Hi Tony,

I definitely don't want to change the shooting data, but the descriptors (keywoards, captions, etc.)

I guess Photoshop it is. Thanks for confirming. I appreciate the verification.

It seems odd that Canon doesn't allow that in their software, when others do.

tonylong
"Amazingly attractive"
53,855 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Aug 21, 2011 17:12 |  #6

Steven Dieter wrote in post #12973661external link
Hi Tony,

I definitely don't want to change the shooting data, but the descriptors (keywoards, captions, etc.)

I guess Photoshop it is. Thanks for confirming. I appreciate the verification.

It seems odd that Canon doesn't allow that in their software, when others do.

Yeah, Canon is pretty basic in what it does with the software. Oh well, for a freebie it does some pretty nice stuff.

I know the EOS Utility lets you put some metadata in if you use it to download files from your camera, but I've never used it except for some tethered shooting and I've never really delved into the Metadata part.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sponsored links

3,063 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing metadata
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.