Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of August 2011 (Fri)   #1
BaghdadFred

Default Sigma 8-16MM vs Sigma 10MM fisheye?

I am taking indoor shots with my ultra wide Sigma 8-16MM. At 8MM things are sharp but close by items are of course bring on a lot distortion same as would a fisheye lens. The 8-16MM is NOT billed as fisheye lens.

I am also interested in the 10MM Sigma fisheye lens. My only concern is that the type of creative distorted images you would get with this lens would look nearly identical to the the ones I can get on my Sigma at 8MM.

Not concerned about the distortion on either. Just wondering if the 10MM fisheye will give me any significant difference in appearance.

Anyone care to comment?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of August 2011 (Fri)   #2
mike cabilangan

Default Re: Sigma 8-16MM vs Sigma 10MM fisheye?

for one, the fisheye would give you a lot wider view even compared to the 8mm.

and the distortion on the fisheye would definitely give a different appearance.

flickr gearLust

Last edited by mike cabilangan : 26th of August 2011 (Fri) at 17:18.
mike cabilangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of August 2011 (Fri)   #3
The Devil

The 8-16 isn't billed as a fisheye, because it isn't one. Fisheyes distort FAR more than it does.
And no, a 10mm lens wont give a wider view than a 8mm does. That just doesn't make sense.
Keep using your 8-16 and use PS to get rid of the distortions, shouldn't be that hard to fix.
Also, give us a sample of the "fisheye" distortion you're seeing.
The Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of August 2011 (Fri)   #4
TheRisingArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil View Post
And no, a 10mm lens wont give a wider view than a 8mm does. That just doesn't make sense.
Actually no, a 10mm fisheye gives an 180 degree field of view diagonally, whereas a 8mm rectillinear lens gives much less than that.
TheRisingArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2011 (Sat)   #5
mike cabilangan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingArms View Post
Actually no, a 10mm fisheye gives an 180 degree field of view diagonally, whereas a 8mm rectillinear lens gives much less than that.
and the 8-16 only produces 114.5 diagonally at it's widest for 1.5 crops ... should be less than that for 1.6 crops like canon.

the 10mm fisheye does produce 180 diagonally, but only for Nikon 1.5 crops. for canon it's 167 (still a lot wider than ANY mainstream UWA lens either on full frame or crop)

flickr gearLust
mike cabilangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of August 2011 (Sat)   #6
The Devil

I see... that's interesting. Guess one learns something new every day.
In any case, I wouldn't use a fisheye to take interior shots. Distorts way too much. But if you're fine with that, I guess you could effectively use one.
I'd imagine the distortion you're seeing is the typical UWA distortion not the fisheye distortion. Sample images would help.

Last edited by The Devil : 27th of August 2011 (Sat) at 15:23.
The Devil is offline   Reply With Quote