Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 29 Aug 2011 (Monday) 22:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

High School Girls volleyball

Damadsetta
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Washington, DC
Aug 29, 2011 22:10 |  #1

First indoor for some time! The gym was HORRIBLE (shocker). The game itself was not too fun to watch either. I'm very used to club volleyball, where the level of play is much higher. I only got to see a few attacks, mostly from the girl in blue, who was a monster. C+C always appreciated. Shot with 1d mark III, Sigma 70-200 OS, 3200 ISO, 1/640. Quite a bit of noise reduction was done, is it incredibly apparent?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 29, 2011 23:12 |  #2

I usually cringe when looking at volleyball photos posted on this forum, lol. It's a very tough sport to shoot!... Not this time though, well done.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Two very well composed shots. ball and face in the frame, faces in focus. WB may be just slightly blue, but it's VERY close. As far as the noise reduction, it's apparent only when looking at the skin, it's very smooth.

Other than those minor "issues", I can see you've improved a lot with your PP!

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Zivnuska
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Aug 30, 2011 05:32 as a reply to NewEnglandPhotographer's post |  #3

I love the shots. As far as noise reduction, yes, it's readily apparent but that is dependent on who is looking at (and buying!) the shots. Parents will and should be ecstatic about the results. Some here will find the NR a bit heavy handed.

I might try a tad less but as you well know, there is a trade-off. They are excellent captures, well cropped. Tweak them for your desired viewer. Declare victory.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

AB8ND
745 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
Aug 30, 2011 09:07 |  #4

Good shots.
Really like that you have the ball and players in the frame and their eyes tell it all. I found in volleyball that watching a players eyes will tell you right where the ball is, you captured this on the button.

Jack

Joemt
Joined Feb 2008
USA
Aug 30, 2011 11:17 |  #5

It seems a bit strong on the noise reduction, a little grain is certainly acceptable and should
add some definition back in. ISO 3200 on a Mark III is quite good.

Joemt.

Damadsetta
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Washington, DC
Aug 30, 2011 12:44 |  #6

Yeah the more I look at it the more I think the NR was a little much (at least with the first one, I think the second one doesn't look as bad). Is purchasing a standalone noise reduction software worth it? I use Lightroom 3 currently for noise reduction.

HSCanon1d
60 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Aug 30, 2011 12:51 |  #7

Yur images seem a little soft, but I love the contrast. When I shoot volleyball I sit down on the floor right in front of the net post next to the team benches. With my 70-200 2.8 mounted on my 1D and a wide angle on my T1i I can cover the whole game

Damadsetta
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Washington, DC
Aug 30, 2011 12:55 |  #8

I definitely position myself there for back row shots. I often step back and out to get the attackers in frame.

Joemt
Joined Feb 2008
USA
Aug 30, 2011 14:00 |  #9

Noise Ninja works pretty well and "plugs-in" to photoshop. I like it much better than the photoshop
noise reduction.

Joemt

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 30, 2011 14:44 |  #10

HSCanon1d wrote in post #13025027external link
Yur images seem a little soft, but I love the contrast. When I shoot volleyball I sit down on the floor right in front of the net post next to the team benches. With my 70-200 2.8 mounted on my 1D and a wide angle on my T1i I can cover the whole game

you use the 70-200 right up at the net? Isn't that a bit tight? What body do you use your 70-200 on, FF?

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

acroberts
60 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Aug 30, 2011 14:51 |  #11

Great shots - what Aperture setting were you in for these (and were you full manual, Av or Tv mode?)?

I was able to stop action well (including the ball) using my 85mm f/1.8 indoors, but my DoF was pretty narrow...

X100s | 50D | XTi | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8

Damadsetta
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Washington, DC
Aug 30, 2011 14:55 |  #12

ewheeler20 wrote in post #13025560external link
you use the 70-200 right up at the net? Isn't that a bit tight? What body do you use your 70-200 on, FF?

Absolutely I do. It's not tight for what I am using it for. If I am shooting from the floor at the net, I can get the following shots:

-Setter on the right side.
-Opposite hitter on the right side.
-All three back row players on the right side.

-Outside hitter on the left side.
-All three back row players on the left side.

On the right side, the players I'm not shooting are the outside and the middle hitter. I'm not shooting the outside anyway because I would always be shooting his or her back. I'm not shooting the middle hitter because he or she is square to the net so it is hard to get the face. For both of these positions, I will shoot through the net from the left side to get them (Pic #1 is an example).

On the left side, the players I'm not shooting are the setter, opposite, and middle. The setter will be facing the opposite way the entire time so I won't shoot there. The middle is the same problem as on the other side. The opposite is the same problem as the outside on the other side.

Damadsetta
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Washington, DC
Aug 30, 2011 14:57 |  #13

acroberts wrote in post #13025593external link
Great shots - what Aperture setting were you in for these (and were you full manual, Av or Tv mode?)?

I was able to stop action well (including the ball) using my 85mm f/1.8 indoors, but my DoF was pretty narrow...

Manual mode, all at 2.8. The 85 is a GREAT volleyball lens. It is perfect for club tournaments when there is not alot of room around each court. DOF will be narrow, that is definitely an issue.

acroberts
60 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Aug 30, 2011 15:15 |  #14

Damadsetta wrote in post #13025628external link
Manual mode, all at 2.8. The 85 is a GREAT volleyball lens. It is perfect for club tournaments when there is not alot of room around each court. DOF will be narrow, that is definitely an issue.

Thanks for the info - I used the 85mm for some club tournaments earlier this year and am going to break it back out this fall. Hoping to get my hands on a 70-200mm sooner than later, though :)

And does anyone have thoughts on how important optical stabilization is for shooting sports (at 1/400 or faster)? My thinking is that it's not worth the extra $$$ unless I am going to do portraits and such down the road.

X100s | 50D | XTi | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8

Damadsetta
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Washington, DC
Aug 30, 2011 15:17 |  #15

acroberts wrote in post #13025771external link
Thanks for the info - I used the 85mm for some club tournaments earlier this year and am going to break it back out this fall. Hoping to get my hands on a 70-200mm sooner than later, though :)

And does anyone have thoughts on how important optical stabilization is for shooting sports (at 1/400 or faster)? My thinking is that it's not worth the extra $$$ unless I am going to do portraits and such down the road.

Useless. Shutter speed is too fast, stabilization won't help you.

sponsored links

3,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
High School Girls volleyball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.