FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 03 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 01:32   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Cyrus
Joined Oct 2002
364 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

A few years ago I purchased a Canon 40D and only got to use it a few times (with the battery pack fitted so 1 x canon battery, 1 x after market battery) before I broke my back and haven't touched the camera for just over 2 years. Now when I try to charge the batteries i encounter the following problems:

1. BP-511A Canon battery: charges normally and when i get the constant led on the charger to say that it is fully charged I remove it and put it into the camera with the battery pack with the other battery and in single battery formation and nothing happens. the camera won't turn on.

2. BP-511 Aftermarket battery: It appears to charge normally for about half an hour and the led just goes out. It never seems to stay on for any longer than that and never get's past the first sequence of led flashes to say that it has started charging.

Does this mean that both of my batteries are now dead and useless? I'll be super pissed off if they are. I expected some loss in battery charge but i never expected this problem.

FWIW, I hadn't used my Canon 350D for even longer and when I charge it's batteries up they work perfectly.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cyrus

Post #1, Sep 03, 2011 01:32:53

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mike_d
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,910 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

In my experience, rechargeable lithium ion batteries don't like sitting on a shelf for extended periods of time. They're likely dead. If you can't find anything locally, Sterlingtek has a pair of BP-511A's for US$24 + $10 international shipping. Sure beats $50 or whatever for the OEM batteries.

Post #2, Sep 03, 2011 01:48:09

LONDON808
Joined Mar 2009
872 posts
Honolulu hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

put them in a zip lock back - squeeze the air out - place in freezer for 4-5 hours - remove - let warm up to room tempreture (2-3 hours) - remove from bag - charge - Use - Thank me - WIN

Post #3, Sep 03, 2011 02:19:47

View My Flickrexternal link

Cyrus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2002
364 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Now i'm even more worried. After putting in the AA battery pack to make sure that my Camera is still operating i can't even get it to turn on. I'll admit that the AA batteries I'm using to test this are very old rechargeables and they are crap quite frankly but i though i might just get a brief startup.....

What now?

Post #4, Sep 03, 2011 02:27:05

Cyrus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2002
364 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok so now I managed to get enough charge into my crappy old AA batteries to at least get my 40D to turn on... whew. So now it's a matter of seeing how i go with LONDON808's theory of freezing the BP-511's and charging them after they thaw.

Hey LONDON808, would you expect that if this works that I would get near to normal charge or will they only have a tiny amount of charge compared to new? The way i see it i have to buy new batteries but if this get's them back to the point where i can do full shoots with them then i'll be a very happy boy.

next i have to test my studio lights and the batteries for the transmitters and receivers.

Post #5, Sep 03, 2011 03:09:55

sponsored links
Cyrus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2002
364 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok so i tried what LONDON08 suggested and unfortunately it didn't work. To be honest if it did anything at all it actually made it worse because even the Canon battery won't charge for more than 20 seconds without turning off.

I wouldn't recommend this process to anybody based on what it did (or didn't do) for my batteries.

I appreciate the assistance though.

Post #6, Sep 04, 2011 14:16:11

suecassidy
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
4,018 posts
Huntington Beach California
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there another internal battery on your camera that might need to be replaced? I referring to a battery other than the ones you put in, use, recharge and use again?

Post #7, Sep 04, 2011 14:21:56

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,613 posts
Channelview, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

Take your grip off and put in one battery at a time in the camera body and check it out that way. That should help narrow the problem down to camera or battery(s).

Post #8, Sep 04, 2011 14:37:12

MaxPreps Profileexternal link

My Gear List

ender78
Joined Oct 2006
466 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Could also be a bad charger. I'd recommend getting a charger with the Sterlingtek batteries. Should add no more that $10-15 to the cost.

Are the contacts on the charger and battery clean. Use a pencil eraser to clean them off [charger and battery]

Post #9, Sep 04, 2011 19:23:44

Cyrus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2002
364 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok today i put my 'dodgy' batteries in a mates 40D and the 40D worked just fine but my 40D won't work when i try it. tomorrow i'll see if i can try my 40D with his batteries and see what happens.

As a point of interest my 40D worked fine when i put the magazine pack of pencil batteries in but not with one or two batteries.

Any thoughts?

Post #10, Sep 07, 2011 05:02:40

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Cyrus wrote in post #13063126external link
Ok today i put my 'dodgy' batteries in a mates 40D and the 40D worked just fine but my 40D won't work when i try it. tomorrow i'll see if i can try my 40D with his batteries and see what happens.

As a point of interest my 40D worked fine when i put the magazine pack of pencil batteries in but not with one or two batteries.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like you're using an add-on grip. Take it off and use one battery at a time in the camera's battery compartment. You'll have to replace the battery compartment door, and if you followed directions when installing your grip you'll find the door tucked into your grip.

Post #11, Sep 07, 2011 05:10:08

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
T2i4me
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
2,888 posts
Surf City, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

End your frustrations and do yourself a favor, get a couple new batteries. Lithium batteries do not like being stored with a full charge, somethimes they trick the charger by returning false charge limits. Once they get like that it's not safe to use them in my opinion. With that said if cost is an issue, go with quality aftermarket batteries lots of posts on which ones are best.

Post #12, Sep 07, 2011 10:58:43

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

Cyrus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2002
364 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

in desperation i tried only one battery in my add-on grip last night and whalah it worked. Unfortunately I have misplaced my battery compartment door and that is why the single battery wasn't working in the camera without the add-on grip. I have a habit of keeping everything so it's weird that I've lost this battery compartment door :( What a series of damn frustration. Now i have to find another battery compartment door somewhere in case i need it again.

Thanks for all of you help peeps.

Post #13, Sep 07, 2011 14:02:12

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,613 posts
Channelview, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

Cyrus wrote in post #13065147external link
in desperation i tried only one battery in my add-on grip last night and whalah it worked. Unfortunately I have misplaced my battery compartment door and that is why the single battery wasn't working in the camera without the add-on grip. I have a habit of keeping everything so it's weird that I've lost this battery compartment door :( What a series of damn frustration. Now i have to find another battery compartment door somewhere in case i need it again.

Thanks for all of you help peeps.

Are you absolutely sure it is not attached to the grip? There is a special place for it to fit so you won't ever be without it.

Edit: First Google hit -> Canon 40D Battery Compartment Doorexternal link

Post #14, Sep 07, 2011 14:10:26

MaxPreps Profileexternal link

My Gear List

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
Joined May 2007
8,626 posts
Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

T2i4me wrote in post #13064335external link
End your frustrations and do yourself a favor, get a couple new batteries. Lithium batteries do not like being stored with a full charge, somethimes they trick the charger by returning false charge limits. Once they get like that it's not safe to use them in my opinion. With that said if cost is an issue, go with quality aftermarket batteries lots of posts on which ones are best.

The think with storing full LiIon batteries is that the ageing is higher when they are stored in high temperature or when they are stored fully charged.

So best is to store them half-charged. And to now and then check their state and fill them to half-charged state again since they must not be allowed to be stored until empty.

A LiIon battery gets damaged if discharged too much. Because of that, all equipment using LiIon batteries always stops the discharge (claiming the battery is empty) before the battery really is empty. This is done to make sure that you can keep the battery for a number of weeks in this state without the self-discharge taking the battery below the "too low" limit.

The problem with too empty LiIon batteries is that they can start to burn or explode when charged. So LiIon chargers checks the voltage and refuses to charge if the battery is too empty.

Just as high temperature speeds up the ageing, low storage temperatures slows down this process.

I have a box in the fridge where I store lots of half-charged batteries to equipment I don't need right now - phone batteries, MP3 batteries, camera batteries, AA cells etc. Since cold storage is recommended for most battery types, I keep LiIon, NiMH, NiCd (not so many left now), alkaline etc in the box. Yes - quite a large box ;)

When I do need the equipment, I can often manage with the remaining charge. If I know I'm going to consume lots of power, then I charge as many batteries as I think I will need.

Anyway - Check that your camera is ok with your friends batteries. But do consider throwing away your batteries and get new. Most probably you have let them discharge too far. And it really isn't worth it to fight trying to get them to work again, just to find out that one of them catches fire.

Post #15, Sep 07, 2011 14:20:02

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,500 views & 0 likes for this thread
My batteries won't charge
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES