Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #1
ICBuyer

Default Einstein vs Alien bee (800)

I'm thinking about buying a strobe for my home studio shooting. I already have two speedlites so I'll use the strobe as main light.

I can't decide between Einstein and AB800. it's the $$ difference. is Einstein worth the $250 difference? I read Einstein's color holds constant across different power level. but is that why I need to pay $250?

I mainly shoot portraits indoor.

I have: 7D, 50mm F1.4, 24-70L, 70-200L F4 IS, 430EXII
ICBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #2
John Schell

Default Re: Einstein vs Alien bee (800)

In a word, yes.

In two words, no comparison.
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #3
sigma pi
Cream of the Crop

agreed get the einstien. You can turn it low so your speedlights can be used as fill or rim.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themort...in/photostream
sigma pi is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #4
jim_escalante

Eventually you may want to get cyber syncs to trigger the light. The cyber commander and syncs is affordable and more dependable. At least for me. I have both AB and einstein and prefer the einstein.
JIm
jim_escalante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #5
BrandonSi
Goldmember

Comparing the Einstein to a B800 is an apples / oranges comparison. The Einstein is capable of so much more. How big is your indoor space? A lot of people just go buy a B800 and then realize it's too powerful for their indoor portrait needs.

You may run into problems mixing the B800 with speedlites... the amount of light coming out of a B800 even at 1/32 is way more than a speedlite at full power.. it's going to be hard to manage ratios like that.

If you don't know what you need, and an Einstein is too expensive, consider a used WL X1600. At least with that you can turn it down with the 1/4 power switch, so it's equivalent to a B400, then at full power it covers the same power range as a B1600. Those can be had from $300-$350.

If you're buying for the future, then it's no contest, get the Einstein.
BrandonSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #6
SilverHCIC
User is banned from forums

Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBuyer View Post
I can't decide between Einstein and AB800. it's the $$ difference.
I mainly shoot portraits indoor.
If you are tempted to consider the AB800 due to the price difference, I would recommend that you consider Elinchrom D-Lites. This is a very good quality entry strobe that performs quite well. I've used them on a few occassions, and I was very pleased with their performance. They paired up with my 600RXs very well, so swapping lights & adjusting power was pretty mindless.

Obviously, the AB series of strobes has provided a reasonable lighting tool for a huge number of photographers. This is apparent from their overwhelming popularity. Although I do not own any AB strobes, I've used them on several occassions, and they can get the job done. But many strobe manufacturers (including PCB) have moved forward with newer technology that provides various performance benefits.

Unlike PCB, which only offers one level of digital strobe, Elinchrom provides three progressive levels. The entry level D-Lites are priced in a manner that competes with the Alien Bees, but is a newer design.

If the price difference is an issue and you have your heart set on Alien Bees, I would suggest purchasing them used. If you have not committed to a particular manufacturer yet, and you are not ready to plunk down $500 or more per strobe, I think you will find that the D-Lites have quite a bit to offer.

But given the choice between Einstein or AB800, I agree with the previous responders. There's no comparison between the two; Einstein is the clear choice.
SilverHCIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #7
c2thew
Goldmember

"The entry level D-Lites are priced in a manner that competes with the Alien Bees,"

but have a slower recycle rate and a slow flash duration which is a consideration depending on what you shoot. for portraits and stuff that doesn't move, then elinchrom would get the nod, but if you want consistency and speed go for the einsteins.

Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!
c2thew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #8
sigma pi
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2thew View Post
"The entry level D-Lites are priced in a manner that competes with the Alien Bees,"

but have a slower recycle rate and a slow flash duration which is a consideration depending on what you shoot. for portraits and stuff that doesn't move, then elinchrom would get the nod, but if you want consistency and speed go for the einsteins.
agreed except for teh consistency. The dlites are consistant.

Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #9
ICBuyer

Thank you all. When I thought I decided to go with Einstein, I found myself looking at Elichrome.....
Ah........ I am going nuts.....

Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #10
sigma pi
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBuyer View Post
Thank you all. When I thought I decided to go with Einstein, I found myself looking at Elichrome.....
Ah........ I am going nuts.....
I did the same thing when I was looking to spend my money, I know how you feel. I looked back and fourth for three months asking dumb questions. By the time I was ready to buy, I could get even better stuff. I went Elinchrom because the kit came with the trigger and the receivers were built in. I got the BXRi 500/500 kit

Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #11
Hollywoodgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
I did the same thing when I was looking to spend my money, I know how you feel. I looked back and fourth for three months asking dumb questions. By the time I was ready to buy, I could get even better stuff. I went Elinchrom because the kit came with the trigger and the receivers were built in. I got the BXRi 500/500 kit
Plus with that kit you can adjust the flash power at the camera, no moving lights or leaving the camera.
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers
Hollywoodgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of September 2011 (Mon)   #12
sigma pi
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodgt View Post
Plus with that kit you can adjust the flash power at the camera, no moving lights or leaving the camera.
that is a BIG plus for a lot of people......... I have never used it when shooting . I am 6*3 and If it is boomed I can usually reach it.

But I do know a lot of people do adjust from the camera.

Old 15th of September 2011 (Thu)   #13
ICBuyer

Thank you all.
I found a good deal on AB800 locally. I'll grab an Einstein in a couple of months to complete the package.
I was attracted to Elinchrom lineup but by looking at their light modifiers' pricing, I decided to go with PCB. since I only do this for hobby, I can't justify the high $$ of Elinchrom modifiers.

Old 15th of September 2011 (Thu)   #14
enginyr

Can you trigger the Einstein while keeping the 580ex2 on camera?
enginyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of September 2011 (Thu)   #15
RLPhoto

my B800 just busted on me... bought it off craigslist a few months ago... the knob slider to control the power somehow broke, so now my B800 is stuck at full power. Just ordered an Einstein, should arrive tomorrow...

GET THE EINSTEIN
RLPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote