Einstein vs Alien bee (800)

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 12 Sep 2011 (Monday) 13:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ICBuyer
Joined Aug 2008
163 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm thinking about buying a strobe for my home studio shooting. I already have two speedlites so I'll use the strobe as main light.

I can't decide between Einstein and AB800. it's the $$ difference. is Einstein worth the $250 difference? I read Einstein's color holds constant across different power level. but is that why I need to pay $250?

I mainly shoot portraits indoor.

Post #1, Sep 12, 2011 13:28:10

I'm so lost

I have: 7D, 50mm F1.4, 24-70L, 70-200L F4 IS, 430EXII

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
John ­ Schell
Joined Apr 2010
794 posts
San Diego, California
[MORE/SHARE]

In a word, yes.

In two words, no comparison.

Post #2, Sep 12, 2011 13:53:16

Websiteexternal link || Facebookexternal link

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2010
11,200 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

agreed get the einstien. You can turn it low so your speedlights can be used as fill or rim.

Post #3, Sep 12, 2011 13:55:02

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com ...6850267535/in/photo​streamexternal link

jim_escalante
Joined Jun 2007
85 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Eventually you may want to get cyber syncs to trigger the light. The cyber commander and syncs is affordable and more dependable. At least for me. I have both AB and einstein and prefer the einstein.
JIm

Post #4, Sep 12, 2011 14:22:18

BrandonSi
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,884 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Comparing the Einstein to a B800 is an apples / oranges comparison. The Einstein is capable of so much more. How big is your indoor space? A lot of people just go buy a B800 and then realize it's too powerful for their indoor portrait needs.

You may run into problems mixing the B800 with speedlites... the amount of light coming out of a B800 even at 1/32 is way more than a speedlite at full power.. it's going to be hard to manage ratios like that.

If you don't know what you need, and an Einstein is too expensive, consider a used WL X1600. At least with that you can turn it down with the 1/4 power switch, so it's equivalent to a B400, then at full power it covers the same power range as a B1600. Those can be had from $300-$350.

If you're buying for the future, then it's no contest, get the Einstein.

Post #5, Sep 12, 2011 15:00:05

[ wwwexternal linkยทflickrexternal link]

sponsored links
SilverHCIC
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
1,460 posts
Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

ICBuyer wrote in post #13090783external link
I can't decide between Einstein and AB800. it's the $$ difference.
I mainly shoot portraits indoor.

If you are tempted to consider the AB800 due to the price difference, I would recommend that you consider Elinchrom D-Lites. This is a very good quality entry strobe that performs quite well. I've used them on a few occassions, and I was very pleased with their performance. They paired up with my 600RXs very well, so swapping lights & adjusting power was pretty mindless.

Obviously, the AB series of strobes has provided a reasonable lighting tool for a huge number of photographers. This is apparent from their overwhelming popularity. Although I do not own any AB strobes, I've used them on several occassions, and they can get the job done. But many strobe manufacturers (including PCB) have moved forward with newer technology that provides various performance benefits.

Unlike PCB, which only offers one level of digital strobe, Elinchrom provides three progressive levels. The entry level D-Lites are priced in a manner that competes with the Alien Bees, but is a newer design.

If the price difference is an issue and you have your heart set on Alien Bees, I would suggest purchasing them used. If you have not committed to a particular manufacturer yet, and you are not ready to plunk down $500 or more per strobe, I think you will find that the D-Lites have quite a bit to offer.

But given the choice between Einstein or AB800, I agree with the previous responders. There's no comparison between the two; Einstein is the clear choice.

Post #6, Sep 12, 2011 15:24:38

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

c2thew
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

"The entry level D-Lites are priced in a manner that competes with the Alien Bees,"

but have a slower recycle rate and a slow flash duration which is a consideration depending on what you shoot. for portraits and stuff that doesn't move, then elinchrom would get the nod, but if you want consistency and speed go for the einsteins.

Post #7, Sep 12, 2011 16:51:49

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2010
11,200 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

c2thew wrote in post #13091817external link
"The entry level D-Lites are priced in a manner that competes with the Alien Bees,"

but have a slower recycle rate and a slow flash duration which is a consideration depending on what you shoot. for portraits and stuff that doesn't move, then elinchrom would get the nod, but if you want consistency and speed go for the einsteins.

agreed except for teh consistency. The dlites are consistant.

Post #8, Sep 12, 2011 17:06:27

ICBuyer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
163 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you all. When I thought I decided to go with Einstein, I found myself looking at Elichrome.....
Ah........ I am going nuts.....

Post #9, Sep 12, 2011 22:32:26

I'm so lost

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2010
11,200 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

ICBuyer wrote in post #13093794external link
Thank you all. When I thought I decided to go with Einstein, I found myself looking at Elichrome.....
Ah........ I am going nuts.....

:lol: I did the same thing when I was looking to spend my money, I know how you feel. I looked back and fourth for three months asking dumb questions. By the time I was ready to buy, I could get even better stuff. I went Elinchrom because the kit came with the trigger and the receivers were built in. I got the BXRi 500/500 kit

Post #10, Sep 12, 2011 23:16:39

Hollywoodgt
Joined Mar 2011
955 posts
New,Lenox,Il
[MORE/SHARE]

sigma pi wrote in post #13094086external link
:lol: I did the same thing when I was looking to spend my money, I know how you feel. I looked back and fourth for three months asking dumb questions. By the time I was ready to buy, I could get even better stuff. I went Elinchrom because the kit came with the trigger and the receivers were built in. I got the BXRi 500/500 kit

Plus with that kit you can adjust the flash power at the camera, no moving lights or leaving the camera.

Post #11, Sep 12, 2011 23:25:37

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.comexternal link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyantonexternal link
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

sponsored links
sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2010
11,200 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

Hollywoodgt wrote in post #13094150external link
Plus with that kit you can adjust the flash power at the camera, no moving lights or leaving the camera.

that is a BIG plus for a lot of people......... I have never used it when shooting :lol: . I am 6*3 and If it is boomed I can usually reach it. :D

But I do know a lot of people do adjust from the camera.

Post #12, Sep 12, 2011 23:57:52

ICBuyer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
163 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you all.
I found a good deal on AB800 locally. I'll grab an Einstein in a couple of months to complete the package.
I was attracted to Elinchrom lineup but by looking at their light modifiers' pricing, I decided to go with PCB. since I only do this for hobby, I can't justify the high $$ of Elinchrom modifiers.

Post #13, Sep 15, 2011 12:14:21

I'm so lost

enginyr
Joined Feb 2009
889 posts
San Fernando Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you trigger the Einstein while keeping the 580ex2 on camera?

Post #14, Sep 15, 2011 13:29:43

Visit the best Los Angeles Wedding Photographyexternal link on the planet. If you're selling your home in los Angeles then visit one of the best
Real estate photographyexternal link websites, using HDR and off camera flash.

RLPhoto
Joined Jun 2010
483 posts
Toronto
[MORE/SHARE]

my B800 just busted on me... bought it off craigslist a few months ago... the knob slider to control the power somehow broke, so now my B800 is stuck at full power. Just ordered an Einstein, should arrive tomorrow...

GET THE EINSTEIN

Post #15, Sep 15, 2011 15:10:39 as a reply to enginyr's post 1 hour earlier.

My Siteexternal link
http://vimeo.com/25753​524external link <-- FLORIDA! BEHIND THE SCENES VIDEO
My Weekly Photography TV Show, LIVE every Wednesday at 8PM ESTexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
11,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Einstein vs Alien bee (800)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES