Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 12 Sep 2011 (Monday) 15:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post your kayak wildlife

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by KayakPhotos. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 12, 2011 15:22 |  #1

I thought I would start a new thread for all the kayak photographers out there. This is my favorite way to shoot wildlife and it presents a great way for us focal length limited folks to get some decent shots.

This first post I will devote to some info that I have learned so far. I don't claim to be the ultimate expert or anything, but I hope I can share my knowledge to help people new to wildlife photography out.

TIPS

The Kayak
: The kayak needed is going to depend on what type of photography you are planning to do. My main focus is wildlife photography, so I had certain needs in mind when purchasing. A couple of key things to consider are:
1.) cockpit size-needs to be very large if you want to use a tripod, or are using long lenses. It's very hard to dig a big lens out of a small cockpit quickly. I don't have a supertelephoto (yet), so I choose to shoot handheld only. I set my lens on a dry bag in front of me with a microfiber cloth set over the end to keep water splashes off the front element. The most popular choice is probably the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 or either a Native Ultimate or Wilderness Systems Commander. It was a little expensive starting out, so I found a Old Town Vapor 12 on Craigslist and snatched it up. To start out with. I have now moved on to a Native Ultimate 14.5.
2.) width- you will want something that is at least 27" wide probably. This will provide a lot of stability. The more stability, the less motion when taking photos. A wide kayak is also harder to dump over, so you won't be as likely to mess up your gear.
3.) length- I like 12'- 14'. It's short enough that it isn't super hard to turn and long enough to go fairly straight and fast when out on lakes or slow moving rivers. I would go at least 10' to keep from wearing yourself out paddling a lot.
4.) sit inside vs. sit on top- sit on top are easy to get in and out of, but harder to keep dry in. I also like having a cockpit that is large enough that I could fit a tripod in if I was using a larger lens at some point. I don't take my good camera equipment out in conditions that I would need a sit-on-top in, so I'm not worried about "swamping." A sit on top can work as well, but isn't as good during the colder months in my opinion. I chose sit in for this reason.

The paddle- There are paddles out there for every budget. I recommend at least going with fiberglass instead of aluminum due to the lighter weight. Go to a store and handle both and you will see the difference. I started with a Carlisle Magic Plus paddle. It was ok, but I would recommend aquabound hybrid paddles if you are on a budget. They are lighter and have a better blade design. I now use a Werner Kalliste bent shaft paddle which is excellent (but expensive).

General Tips-
1.)approach slowly. Wildlife doesn't feel threatened as much from things in the water, but that does not mean you can just paddle up to anything you want.
2.)coasting is very effective. I have found that paddling, even slowly, can scare wildlife. I think the movement of the large paddle confuses them. I prefer to aim at a spot and let myself coast towards my subject. I usually take a series of photos as I get closer and closer. That way I can crop a distance shot if the animal runs or flies away before I'm as close as I want to be.
3.)go out early morning or late evening. I like the light this time of day and it tends to be the best time to see wildlife. It can also get really hot during the middle of the day sitting on the water. There is usually less wind in the morning and evening as well.
4.)hug the shore. This will usually keep you in the shade, out of the wind, and closer to where most of the wildlife is usually at.
5.)plan ahead. I look at kayak photos like defensive driving. You are often going to get surprised by what happens and could miss the shot or get in a dangerous situation. Always be looking ahead and thinking of what if scenarios and trying to plan your avenue of approach. I find stalking animals both fun and challenging. When they run away I try to keep at it rather than letting myself get discouraged.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
KayakPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Sep 12, 2011 15:26 |  #2

A few photos.

IMAGE: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/D40riggs/Birds/gotabranch.jpg

IMAGE: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/D40riggs/Birds/flyingheron.jpg

IMAGE: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/D40riggs/Nature%20Pics/spiderfromthewater.jpg

IMAGE: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/D40riggs/Nature%20Pics/deergaze.jpg

IMAGE: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/D40riggs/Nature%20Pics/twoturtles.jpg

Pictures (external link)
Gear

kpflynn
Goldmember
2,186 posts
Joined May 2010
Biloxi, MS
Sep 12, 2011 15:48 |  #3

All are very nice!

KayakPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Sep 12, 2011 15:57 |  #4

kpflynn wrote in post #13091465external link
All are very nice!

Thanks!

Pictures (external link)
Gear

sbumps
473 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Evansville,IN
Sep 12, 2011 16:53 |  #5

Great deer shots but I like them all. Great idea wish I had the nerve to get in water with my camera.

KayakPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Sep 12, 2011 17:01 |  #6

sbumps wrote in post #13091833external link
Great deer shots but I like them all. Great idea wish I had the nerve to get in water with my camera.

Insurance :)

Pictures (external link)
Gear

starlights
Joined Apr 2011
Washington DC
Sep 15, 2011 21:24 |  #7

Beautiful Images. Thanks for the great write up.

Website (external link) l Facebook (external link)
Lenses for SALE (external link)

KayakPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Sep 16, 2011 12:21 as a reply to starlights's post |  #8

You're welcome. I was hoping to see more people adding photos. I guess that there aren't many people out there shooting out of a kayak.

I've heard a lot of people that were worried about losing gear etc., but I know of someone on FM who has been out on a kayak with 2 Mark IV's, the 500L and the 800L. I know that he takes his 800L and 1D Mark IV out on a regular basis.

Pictures (external link)
Gear

Glenn ­ Abuja
489 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Markham Ontario
Sep 16, 2011 20:21 |  #9

Here's one I took a while ago. The Minky whale was about 5-10 meters in-front of the paddler.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

KayakPhotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Naples, FL
Sep 16, 2011 22:05 |  #10

Glenn Abuja wrote in post #13115927external link
Here's one I took a while ago. The Minky whale was about 5-10 meters in-front of the paddler.

Nice work! Looks like you were in the right place at the right time.

Pictures (external link)
Gear

mikeb540
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Kentucky
Sep 16, 2011 23:35 as a reply to KayakPhotos's post |  #11

i got an aquapak housing for this, but havent had the kayak out since I got it.. cool idea for a thread. subed.

Canon Rebel XTi
Canon 28-105mm USM
Sigma 10-20mm
my Work: http://www.outdoorvent​uresschwinn.com/external link
Photo Gallery: www.mbphotos.exposurem​anager.comexternal link

Forest
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Sep 17, 2011 13:12 as a reply to mikeb540's post |  #12

I enjoy shooting wildlife from a kayak and have never had any issues with damaging or loosing equipment. My favorite locations to shoot wildlife tend to be calm rivers and lakes, which happen difficult to capsize a kayak on. When shooting on the ocean, swells present a greater risk for capsizing or swamping the boat. I keep a dry bag available in case conditions become threatening.

As for kayaks, I am partial to a slightly longer 14 foot boat as they track a little better. Personally I believe having a rudder is crucial to kayak photography. As Daniel pointed out, the movement of paddles (especially brightly colored ones) will often scare off the subject. A rudder makes maintaining a straight trajectory much easier without paddling and helps to prevent the boat from spinning while stationary.

A couple photos captured from the kayak-

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Forest
Flickexternal linkr

Inse
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Southeast BC
Sep 17, 2011 17:15 as a reply to Forest's post |  #13

Great info Daniel, thank you.
I intend to get a kayak next spring so I can get out on the numerous lakes and rivers around here. I have also looked at the Wilderness range and the Commander looks as if it fits the bill. The local dealer I've been chatting to offers a half or full days hire on his kayaks so you can try them out first. If you then buy, within a month, the hire is taken off the cost. As I have not kayaked before this will be most useful. He has also offered to bring along a couple of kayaks to a regular weekly meeting on the lake and told me "just turn up and we'll get you started".
Roll on springtime.

RAY
So far, this is the oldest I've ever been :cool:
http://inse-photography.smugmug.co​m/external link

Brians63
52 posts
Joined Nov 2010
La Porte, In.
Sep 17, 2011 20:43 as a reply to Inse's post |  #14

I will taking the camera out with me tomorrow, for a kayak trip on Saguany Lake so hopefully i can add a few pictures to the thread..

mek501st
721 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Sep 18, 2011 05:04 as a reply to Brians63's post |  #15

photos are amazing!!!bw!
I am going on a kayak trip soon. Hope to bring my gear, just hope water doesn't get in...

Mek~
My Equipment
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mek501stexternal link
500px: http://500px.com/mek50​1stexternal link

sponsored links

194,071 views & 619 likes for this thread
Post your kayak wildlife
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.