Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 16 Sep 2011 (Friday) 10:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

We have no budget for photos

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Sep 16, 2011 10:04 |  #1

An interesting read: A photographer's point of view regarding requests for free photos due to no budget for them.

http://tonysleep.co.uk​/node/687external link

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
Pingman
416 posts
Joined Apr 2011
DFW Metro
Sep 16, 2011 10:22 |  #2

I love people that think this hobby/profession is without cost. Do they give their services/products away for free? Not. I agree with his take on the issue.

(Gear & Feedback)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,097 posts
Joined May 2007
Huntington Beach California
Sep 16, 2011 10:42 |  #3

Pingman wrote in post #13113108external link
Supporting my own is next to impossible thanks to the current vogue for passing off exploitation as opportunity

I love that phrase, "passing off exploitation as OPPORTUNITY." When I was young and just starting out, I totally bought the "do this for me and all my friends will come to you" crap. Yeah, right. They will come and when they find out they actually have to PAY for pictures, they go away. Ditto for the silent auction requests, school and church fundraisers etc. If you give it away, give it away with zero expectation of mutual benefit, other than a warm fuzzy feeling perhaps.

The last time I heard the "we have no budget for photos" was from a friend on behalf of the bride, hoping that I would jump in and offer to do it for free, which of course I did NOT. I was friends with the brides parents, who are a doctor and a lawyer, and I wasn't really understanding the "no budget for photos" thing, but perhaps the kids were paying for their own wedding. I didn't know. I decided to not attend the wedding at all, even though I was invited, and as it turned out, they ended up getting a photographer last minute, despite the fact that they had "no budget" for one. I saw the pics and they were very good, but I don't know what they paid. The point is, half the time they say there is no budget for photos, it is as the person in the linked text said, it is merely "a starting point for negotiations, and is based on a lie."

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Ventura County, Calif., USA
Sep 16, 2011 13:59 |  #4

scobols wrote in post #13113008external link
An interesting read: A photographer's point of view regarding requests for free photos due to no budget for them.

http://tonysleep.co.uk​/node/687external link

Scott

This is an excellent read. I have done work for nonprofit organizations at reduced cost or no cost depending on my interest in their mission and/or my schedule.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Sep 16, 2011 14:09 |  #5

JackLiu wrote in post #13114238external link
This is an excellent read. I have done work for nonprofit organizations at reduced cost or no cost depending on my interest in their mission and/or my schedule.

I feel the same way about non-profits.

I'll donate periodic event coverage for my local PBS station and have had numerous opportunities to meet some very interesting people over the years. I do it because I support their mission and genuine like the people who appreciate my work and have never taken it for granted. Sadly, they have experienced minimal budgets and have had to lay people off to maintain service.

A small side benefit of this has been some interesting networking, and a few sales of my fine art work.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Sep 16, 2011 14:10 as a reply to JackLiu's post |  #6

My standard comment when someone says "but I get exposure" is
Okay, take a favorite book of yours that has a cover image or any number of images in them...now tell me..who is the photographer"...yeah exposure gets you a whole lot doesnt it...:rolleyes:

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Sep 16, 2011 14:27 as a reply to digirebelva's post |  #7

A great link and he certainly hits the nail on the head. Those kind of people really piss me off.

Best, Bruce

DetlevCM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Europe
Sep 18, 2011 13:29 |  #8

Excluding companies, I don't think a lot of people are willing to pay for photography.

If I think back - the leaver's ball of my old year in Germany in 2009 - it was me and a guy from the year below shooting photographs (I moved to the UK in 2006).
If I think about family birthdays - nobody there would ever pay someone to shoot photographs.
If I think back to a "Gemeindefest" at a friends church - they didn't actually get someone to shoot photographs either.
The little concert this year (2011) - nope...

The honest assessment is: People will want photographs if they are out there, but they won't pay for them. Exceptions being news sites that use stock photography (although I have seen ZeitOnline use Getty images that they could have instead shot at a better quality in their own office with a point and shoot...)
So that leaves commercial websites from large corporations... but do they regularly ask for free photographs? I can't exactly imagine it.

Further - if the guy who wrote the page doesn't want to give a photograph away - then not. It is his choice. Plenty of other people will - so what?

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Sep 18, 2011 17:06 |  #9

DetlevCM wrote in post #13122683external link
Excluding companies, I don't think a lot of people are willing to pay for photography.

If I think back - the leaver's ball of my old year in Germany in 2009 - it was me and a guy from the year below shooting photographs (I moved to the UK in 2006).
If I think about family birthdays - nobody there would ever pay someone to shoot photographs.
If I think back to a "Gemeindefest" at a friends church - they didn't actually get someone to shoot photographs either.
The little concert this year (2011) - nope...

The honest assessment is: People will want photographs if they are out there, but they won't pay for them. Exceptions being news sites that use stock photography (although I have seen ZeitOnline use Getty images that they could have instead shot at a better quality in their own office with a point and shoot...)
So that leaves commercial websites from large corporations... but do they regularly ask for free photographs? I can't exactly imagine it.

Further - if the guy who wrote the page doesn't want to give a photograph away - then not. It is his choice. Plenty of other people will - so what?

I can't speak for Europe, but plenty of folks in the U.S. are still willing to contract and pay for good, solid wedding photography. But I do agree about birthday parties - typically a friend will cover the event and then often put things online.

GEAR LIST

DetlevCM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Europe
Sep 19, 2011 02:03 |  #10

sapearl wrote in post #13123427external link
I can't speak for Europe, but plenty of folks in the U.S. are still willing to contract and pay for good, solid wedding photography. But I do agree about birthday parties - typically a friend will cover the event and then often put things online.

I'm not sure about weddings...
I do know though that a fellow student had a very small wedding - with no budget for photography.
And I think when the sister of a good friend married, they didn't have a dedicated photographer either (Note think! - I wasn't there)

Maybe it's more common in the US to pay for photography then?

Steve ­ of ­ Cornubia
459 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Oztralia
Sep 19, 2011 02:31 as a reply to DetlevCM's post |  #11

My daughter spent three years learning skills for the Film & TV industry. The cost was actually more than many degrees, though she only went as high as an Advanced Dip. She wanted to be a sound engineer.

However, that was a year ago and she has pretty much given up trying to get a job in the industry. She has worked on a number of productions now, none of them paid because she was told everybody has to start off doing it for free, then when you've made a name for yourself, the paid offers will come.

Bullsh*t.

The fact is, there are twenty - fifty wannabees for every paid role - and that's at the bottom. Because of this, a large number of professional productions are made with a (mostly) unpaid crew, all of them giving their time and skills away for free in the hope the phone will ring sometime. But it never does. It's a simple case of oversupply and an industry that many, many young people want to work in. Consequently, the industry, or at least a large part of it, finds it never has to pay crew. Just tempt some young graduates to work for nothing until they start to ask for money, then ditch them and find some more, fresh out of film school.

And it isn't easy work. I went along to a weekend shoot with her and was staggered by the hours - 3:30am start and knock off at midnight, then 3:30am the next morning! Many of them didn't bother going home - it wasn't worth it.

So now she's going to be a vet, so another five years of study looms.......

5D MK3, 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 1.4x TC MKIII, Nissin Di866 II, Nissin Di466
I hate being bipolar. It's great.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Sep 19, 2011 05:25 |  #12

DetlevCM wrote in post #13125797external link
I'm not sure about weddings...
I do know though that a fellow student had a very small wedding - with no budget for photography.
And I think when the sister of a good friend married, they didn't have a dedicated photographer either (Note think! - I wasn't there)

Maybe it's more common in the US to pay for photography then?

Now I understand where you're coming from - in the context of student finances I can see and appreciate where you're coming from. But in the U.S. for folks who have entered the business world or have a regular paycheck it's quite standard to purchase wedding services.

GEAR LIST

DetlevCM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Europe
Sep 19, 2011 11:40 |  #13

sapearl wrote in post #13126104external link
Now I understand where you're coming from - in the context of student finances I can see and appreciate where you're coming from. But in the U.S. for folks who have entered the business world or have a regular paycheck it's quite standard to purchase wedding services.

Maybe.

Although to be honest I can't quite see the point, as they could do it by themselves. (Tripod, family members etc.)
But I suppose everybody pays for what they want to pay.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Sep 19, 2011 11:58 |  #14

DetlevCM wrote in post #13127507external link
Maybe.

Although to be honest I can't quite see the point, as they could do it by themselves. (Tripod, family members etc.)
But I suppose everybody pays for what they want to pay.

Actually - no, they can't.

It is very hard to be IN a wedding and also thoroughly, totally cover it from start to finish, without being distracted by the party and other "family" issues that typically go on.

Tripods - yes, we still use them now and then but most people no longer use them for group shots and portraits. Not only can they get in the way at times, but things often fly at a much faster pace. It's hard to do dozens of portrait/group setups - and these are lists that I typically work from, given to me by the family - in less than 30 minutes without having to consider running back and forth to a tripod and timer.

And then there's expertise.

There is a reason why pro's charge what they do: many tend to be expert in their posing, style, art, eye, and crowd management. No slam to family members, but most are weak in all these areas. Now, if somebody is will to settle for this sort of thing for free, then it's a good deal. But then you get what you pay for. ;)

GEAR LIST

DetlevCM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Europe
Sep 19, 2011 12:03 |  #15

sapearl wrote in post #13127580external link
Actually - no, they can't.

It is very hard to be IN a wedding and also thoroughly, totally cover it from start to finish, without being distracted by the party and other "family" issues that typically go on.

Tripods - yes, we still use them now and then but most people no longer use them for group shots and portraits. Not only can they get in the way at times, but things often fly at a much faster pace. It's hard to do dozens of portrait/group setups - and these are lists that I typically work from, given to me by the family - in less than 30 minutes without having to consider running back and forth to a tripod and timer.

And then there's expertise.

There is a reason why pro's charge what they do: many tend to be expert in their posing, style, art, eye, and crowd management. No slam to family members, but most are weak in all these areas. Now, if somebody is will to settle for this sort of thing for free, then it's a good deal. But then you get what you pay for. ;)

I suppose managing people might be an issue - you have a point there.
Although if someone told me to stay still for a photo I would just move quicker - away :D (I hate photos of myself) - or hide behind people.

sponsored links

2,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
We have no budget for photos
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.