Can i buy exotic jumping spiders online?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 21 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 22:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dubstylz
Joined Jun 2011
488 posts
west sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

As per title... i have a few zebra jumpers in my garden as some of you may have seen but i would love to import some more exotic varieties, does anyone know where i might be able to do this, ive been hunting high and low to no avail. I have no idea on the legality of such imports and i know you can import anything if you know where to look but im just not that shady ;) lol

EDIT: just found this http://www.ebay.co.uk ...m35b509ef5c#ht_807w​t_1185external link

i might try it just for kicks :)

Post #1, Sep 21, 2011 22:42:46

Mark

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
John ­ Koerner
Joined Jun 2011
510 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

>>> Here you goexternal link

Post #2, Sep 22, 2011 06:44:55

MacroPhotoProâ„¢ Online Databaseexternal link

dubstylz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
488 posts
west sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

oh wow brilliant, im spoilt for choice there, thank you, do you know if they ship to the uk, and also do you think they will survive the long journey?

Post #3, Sep 22, 2011 06:57:21

Mark

hello ­ people
Joined Feb 2011
245 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I sincerely hope you can not buy spiders online

Post #4, Sep 22, 2011 23:24:17

60D

blackzarg
Joined Jul 2011
158 posts
SF Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

John Koerner wrote in post #13144099external link
>>> Here you goexternal link

HA! Sending a few over to my friend...

Post #5, Sep 23, 2011 13:06:39

Canon 60D | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II
Flash: YN465 | RF602 Triggers
Other Stuff: Gorillapod SLR-Zoom w/ Manfrotto 484RC2 | Other tripods and ballheads

sponsored links
Overread
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
2,029 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I suspect for any live importing of animals you'll need to find a registered dealer with licences to import alien insects. There might also be restrictions on the breeds that can be imported as well as on the use/market for them.

I'd ask around a few reptile or butterfly farm type places as they are sure to have some contacts in that area. In addition what do you intend to do once you've got the pictures, since you can't very well start releasing alien species into the wild (just look at the problems mink, grey squirrel and others cause from human introduction into the ecosystem).

It might even be best to focus on native species of jumping spider - at least then accidental escapees won't risk the environment to the same degree.

Post #6, Sep 23, 2011 18:43:49

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickrexternal link
The Wildlife Projectexternal link

dubstylz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
488 posts
west sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Overread wrote in post #13153060external link
I suspect for any live importing of animals you'll need to find a registered dealer with licences to import alien insects. There might also be restrictions on the breeds that can be imported as well as on the use/market for them.

I'd ask around a few reptile or butterfly farm type places as they are sure to have some contacts in that area. In addition what do you intend to do once you've got the pictures, since you can't very well start releasing alien species into the wild (just look at the problems mink, grey squirrel and others cause from human introduction into the ecosystem).

It might even be best to focus on native species of jumping spider - at least then accidental escapees won't risk the environment to the same degree.

Yeah i was thinking exactly that to be honest, its a lovely idea keeping them as pets but knowing my luck they would escape, breed and wipe out our native zebra jumpiers so i think il just admire them on the internet and enjoy the ones that live in my garden. Now i have a reason to travel the world, photographing them in the native lands ;) lol

Post #7, Sep 24, 2011 15:22:49

Mark

Martin ­ G.
Goldmember
Joined May 2009
2,208 posts
Montreal, Qc, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

If you have the means, buy a plane ticket and go to Marbach (Germany) next week end (Saturday 1st). It is mostly a tarantula show, but one of my good friends, André Leetz from France is always there. He is a top araneomorph breeder and usually has a few salticidae for sale. What is nice is you buy captive bred animals, not WC.

If not, I see you are in the UK, you could try to contact the British Tarantula Society, they might be able to point you to a local breeder, although generally speaking, araneomorphs are not as popular in the spider hobby as mygalomorphs,so it could be hard to find.

Keep in mind that to have animals legally exported from the US, they need to go through US Fish & Wildlife, will need to go cargo and you will need to clear customs in the UK.

If I remember right, the UK has certain "restrictions" for keeping Latrodectus spp. and other arachnids that are considered "hot", I think scorpions from the buthidae family for example, but otherwise I think it is pretty flexible for the rest. Make sure you inquire about your regulations.

If interested, I can send you a PM with a few contacts for you to look at, just let me know.

Good luck

Martin

Post #8, Sep 24, 2011 16:00:30 as a reply to dubstylz's post 37 minutes earlier.

6D & 50D
EF 24-105 L, EF 100mm L IS, MP-E 65
Macro Twin Flash MT-24EX, 430 EX II & 270 EX

Macroarachnid
Hatchling
Joined May 2012
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

dubstylz wrote in post #13142837external link
As per title... i have a few zebra jumpers in my garden as some of you may have seen but i would love to import some more exotic varieties, does anyone know where i might be able to do this, ive been hunting high and low to no avail. I have no idea on the legality of such imports and i know you can import anything if you know where to look but im just not that shady ;) lol

EDIT: just found this http://www.ebay.co.uk ...m35b509ef5c#ht_807w​t_1185external link

i might try it just for kicks :)

These look like they have been relisted, UK only though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk ...sects&hash=item3cc6​a82650external link

http://www.ebay.co.uk ...sects&hash=item3cc6​a84ce9external link

Post #9, May 24, 2012 05:22:37

racketman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
19,669 posts
Richmond Surrey
[MORE/SHARE]

there are 36 recorded salticidae species in the UK, most are hard to find although you are at least the right end of the country. I think I have shot 4 or 5 species

http://www.eakringbird​s.com ...achnidsjumpingspide​rs.htmexternal link

Post #10, May 26, 2012 18:45:00

Toby
Flickr collectionsexternal link
ipernity galleryexternal link
Gear

dgiglio3087
Joined May 2012
520 posts
Slidell,LA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey everyone, you'd be supprised!! you can buy snakes, spiders, caiman crocodiles, turtles, just to list a few... And that no regulations. Im pretty sure you can by cobras online, depending on where you live. The main catch though is shipping. Most shippers wont ship venomous snakes, without going thru the proper channels. My main question for the original poster is what do you plan on doing with this poor spider after you get done photographing it? By the way im speaking of the United States, didnt realize most of you are abroad...

Post #11, May 31, 2012 10:49:21

<---Daniel'sFlickrexternal link
Giglio's Galleryexternal link

sponsored links
nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
2,445 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Are you mad? its illegal to release alien/foreign animals into wild. Doesnt matter if its your garden, they will spread and they might end up killing and upsetting current fragile eco system. Just ask australians how they like they frogs or ecuadorians how they like they sheep on galapagos. Just two examples.

Post #12, May 31, 2012 11:01:25

Gear List "Canon User" shooting OM-D :D

dgiglio3087
Joined May 2012
520 posts
Slidell,LA
[MORE/SHARE]

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #14511409external link
Are you mad? its illegal to release alien/foreign animals into wild. Doesnt matter if its your garden, they will spread and they might end up killing and upsetting current fragile eco system. Just ask australians how they like they frogs or ecuadorians how they like they sheep on galapagos. Just two examples.

Im sorry are you talking to me? If you are the reason i asked is because far too many people get exotic animals for pets/projects and once their done with it they release them into the wild, OR worse kill them. I believe in responsibility in everything humans do.

After reading back i dont see where anyone said to release a foreign animal into the wild....?

But back to the original posters question, as far as that species goes, im not sure but heres a link to a US dealer, dont know if he exports to the uk but he doesnt say he wont... http://www.backwaterre​ptiles.com/external link
He has listed multiple types of spiders and such hope that helps

Post #13, May 31, 2012 11:33:54

Preeb
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
2,424 posts
Logan County, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Importing animals or plants where they don't belong and don't have any natural enemies is simply a bad idea all around. Here in the Bahamas we are dealing with the lionfish infestation, as is much of the Caribbean. Lionfish are a western Pacific species which have no business in the Atlantic. First reported off the Florida coast, thought to be released by someone who got tired of his salt water aquarium, now they have spread like cockroaches throughout the area. While some larger predators will eat them, most won't because of the venomous spines, and not enough will to keep them in check. Lionfish mature quickly, breed prolifically, and feed voraciously on the young of the native reef fish, thus reducing native populations, in some case quite drastically.

The Bahamas also deals with feral goats, pigs, and cats, all of which were introduced by man. Best thing about that is that jerk wild boar is a common and very tasty item on the menus of local restaurants. However, I doubt that would be the fate of an invasive spider population gone out of control. ;)

Post #14, Jun 06, 2012 12:48:14 as a reply to dgiglio3087's post 6 days earlier.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

dgiglio3087
Joined May 2012
520 posts
Slidell,LA
[MORE/SHARE]

As a reef keeper myself i know what you mean about the lion fish, but its not just the bahamas that are telling with them. I think there are quite a few different regions that are dealing with the invasive lionfish! I dont know if you can blame the aquarium trade but who knows....

Post #15, Jun 06, 2012 15:20:03

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can i buy exotic jumping spiders online?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES