Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of September 2011 (Wed)   #1
dubstylz

Default Can i buy exotic jumping spiders online?

As per title... i have a few zebra jumpers in my garden as some of you may have seen but i would love to import some more exotic varieties, does anyone know where i might be able to do this, ive been hunting high and low to no avail. I have no idea on the legality of such imports and i know you can import anything if you know where to look but im just not that shady lol

EDIT: just found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANOPY-JUM...#ht_807wt_1185

i might try it just for kicks

Last edited by dubstylz : 21st of September 2011 (Wed) at 23:01.
dubstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of September 2011 (Thu)   #2
John Koerner

Default Re: Can i buy exotic jumping spiders online?

>>> Here you go

John Koerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of September 2011 (Thu)   #3
dubstylz

oh wow brilliant, im spoilt for choice there, thank you, do you know if they ship to the uk, and also do you think they will survive the long journey?
Old 22nd of September 2011 (Thu)   #4
hello people

I sincerely hope you can not buy spiders online
Old 23rd of September 2011 (Fri)   #5
blackzarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koerner View Post
HA! Sending a few over to my friend...
blackzarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of September 2011 (Fri)   #6
Overread

I suspect for any live importing of animals you'll need to find a registered dealer with licences to import alien insects. There might also be restrictions on the breeds that can be imported as well as on the use/market for them.

I'd ask around a few reptile or butterfly farm type places as they are sure to have some contacts in that area. In addition what do you intend to do once you've got the pictures, since you can't very well start releasing alien species into the wild (just look at the problems mink, grey squirrel and others cause from human introduction into the ecosystem).

It might even be best to focus on native species of jumping spider - at least then accidental escapees won't risk the environment to the same degree.
Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr
The Wildlife Project
Overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of September 2011 (Sat)   #7
dubstylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overread View Post
I suspect for any live importing of animals you'll need to find a registered dealer with licences to import alien insects. There might also be restrictions on the breeds that can be imported as well as on the use/market for them.

I'd ask around a few reptile or butterfly farm type places as they are sure to have some contacts in that area. In addition what do you intend to do once you've got the pictures, since you can't very well start releasing alien species into the wild (just look at the problems mink, grey squirrel and others cause from human introduction into the ecosystem).

It might even be best to focus on native species of jumping spider - at least then accidental escapees won't risk the environment to the same degree.
Yeah i was thinking exactly that to be honest, its a lovely idea keeping them as pets but knowing my luck they would escape, breed and wipe out our native zebra jumpiers so i think il just admire them on the internet and enjoy the ones that live in my garden. Now i have a reason to travel the world, photographing them in the native lands lol
Old 24th of September 2011 (Sat)   #8
Martin G.
Goldmember

If you have the means, buy a plane ticket and go to Marbach (Germany) next week end (Saturday 1st). It is mostly a tarantula show, but one of my good friends, André Leetz from France is always there. He is a top araneomorph breeder and usually has a few salticidae for sale. What is nice is you buy captive bred animals, not WC.

If not, I see you are in the UK, you could try to contact the British Tarantula Society, they might be able to point you to a local breeder, although generally speaking, araneomorphs are not as popular in the spider hobby as mygalomorphs,so it could be hard to find.

Keep in mind that to have animals legally exported from the US, they need to go through US Fish & Wildlife, will need to go cargo and you will need to clear customs in the UK.

If I remember right, the UK has certain "restrictions" for keeping Latrodectus spp. and other arachnids that are considered "hot", I think scorpions from the buthidae family for example, but otherwise I think it is pretty flexible for the rest. Make sure you inquire about your regulations.

If interested, I can send you a PM with a few contacts for you to look at, just let me know.

Good luck

Martin
Martin G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #9
Macroarachnid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstylz View Post
As per title... i have a few zebra jumpers in my garden as some of you may have seen but i would love to import some more exotic varieties, does anyone know where i might be able to do this, ive been hunting high and low to no avail. I have no idea on the legality of such imports and i know you can import anything if you know where to look but im just not that shady lol

EDIT: just found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANOPY-JUM...#ht_807wt_1185

i might try it just for kicks
These look like they have been relisted, UK only though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANOPY-JUM...item3cc6a82650

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANOPY-JUM...item3cc6a84ce9
Macroarachnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #10
racketman
Cream of the Crop

there are 36 recorded salticidae species in the UK, most are hard to find although you are at least the right end of the country. I think I have shot 4 or 5 species

http://www.eakringbirds.com/eakringb...ingspiders.htm

Flickr collections
ipernity gallery
Gear
racketman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of May 2012 (Thu)   #11
dgiglio3087

Hey everyone, you'd be supprised!! you can buy snakes, spiders, caiman crocodiles, turtles, just to list a few... And that no regulations. Im pretty sure you can by cobras online, depending on where you live. The main catch though is shipping. Most shippers wont ship venomous snakes, without going thru the proper channels. My main question for the original poster is what do you plan on doing with this poor spider after you get done photographing it? By the way im speaking of the United States, didnt realize most of you are abroad...
Old 31st of May 2012 (Thu)   #12
nekrosoft13
Goldmember

Are you mad? its illegal to release alien/foreign animals into wild. Doesnt matter if its your garden, they will spread and they might end up killing and upsetting current fragile eco system. Just ask australians how they like they frogs or ecuadorians how they like they sheep on galapagos. Just two examples.

Last edited by nekrosoft13 : 31st of May 2012 (Thu) at 11:18.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of May 2012 (Thu)   #13
dgiglio3087

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Are you mad? its illegal to release alien/foreign animals into wild. Doesnt matter if its your garden, they will spread and they might end up killing and upsetting current fragile eco system. Just ask australians how they like they frogs or ecuadorians how they like they sheep on galapagos. Just two examples.
Im sorry are you talking to me? If you are the reason i asked is because far too many people get exotic animals for pets/projects and once their done with it they release them into the wild, OR worse kill them. I believe in responsibility in everything humans do.

After reading back i dont see where anyone said to release a foreign animal into the wild....?

But back to the original posters question, as far as that species goes, im not sure but heres a link to a US dealer, dont know if he exports to the uk but he doesnt say he wont... http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/
He has listed multiple types of spiders and such hope that helps

Last edited by dgiglio3087 : 31st of May 2012 (Thu) at 11:49.
dgiglio3087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2012 (Wed)   #14
Preeb
Goldmember

Importing animals or plants where they don't belong and don't have any natural enemies is simply a bad idea all around. Here in the Bahamas we are dealing with the lionfish infestation, as is much of the Caribbean. Lionfish are a western Pacific species which have no business in the Atlantic. First reported off the Florida coast, thought to be released by someone who got tired of his salt water aquarium, now they have spread like cockroaches throughout the area. While some larger predators will eat them, most won't because of the venomous spines, and not enough will to keep them in check. Lionfish mature quickly, breed prolifically, and feed voraciously on the young of the native reef fish, thus reducing native populations, in some case quite drastically.

The Bahamas also deals with feral goats, pigs, and cats, all of which were introduced by man. Best thing about that is that jerk wild boar is a common and very tasty item on the menus of local restaurants. However, I doubt that would be the fate of an invasive spider population gone out of control.

60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of June 2012 (Wed)   #15
dgiglio3087

As a reef keeper myself i know what you mean about the lion fish, but its not just the bahamas that are telling with them. I think there are quite a few different regions that are dealing with the invasive lionfish! I dont know if you can blame the aquarium trade but who knows....