Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #1
toxic
Goldmember

Default Tested: 2x Elinchrom D-lite 4 it and Vagabond Mini Lithium compatibility

I just did some quick testing with both of my D-lites hooked up to a VML (120VAC). Same power for both, from 2.0 to 6.0 (25-400 Ws). I only did each power setting a couple times, so your times might vary a tenth or two because of slight variations and human error.

Recycle time (seconds):
2.0: 0.9
3.0: 1.2
4.0: 1.6
5.0: 2.8
5.5: 3.7
5.9: 4.5

6.0 does not work, I get an E.4 (charge fault) error. This happens when going from any setting < 6.0 up to 6, or if the lights are turned on at 6.0, the error will come out after the first pop.

Also, the first pop after being turned on always takes a bit longer. The "ready" beep usually goes off twice.
toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #2
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Tested: 2x Elinchrom D-lite 4 it and Vagabond Mini Lithium compatibility

It's very important to understand that the Elinchrom E4 error is not just a glitch or indication that the strobe couldn't stabilize the voltage, but it's an indication that that the voltage drop was rather substantial, and that the inverter isn't working correctly and safely with the Elinchrom bi-voltage power supply.

This is a huge problem using inverters with bi-voltage power supplies and should not be shrugged off and 'just an error'.

PCB does not support third party strobes and this issue will not be addressed.

I realize that you can get bi-voltage strobes to work with the VML but it does not mean they are working correctly.

Honestly, I don't recommend that combination.

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #3
spacetime

Default Re: Tested: 2x Elinchrom D-lite 4 it and Vagabond Mini Lithium compatibility

Will a single D-lite4 run at full power? I have the 230VAC VML and it will run two strobes at all settings but recycle times are poor and the double beeps and LCD blanking out amongst other issues make you wonder what if any damage is occurring.
spacetime is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #4
110yd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetime View Post
Will a single D-lite4 run at full power? I have the 230VAC VML and it will run two strobes at all settings but recycle times are poor and the double beeps and LCD blanking out amongst other issues make you wonder what if any damage is occurring.
I would not put two strobes that were (Multi voltage 90-260VAC) on a VML. The inverter can not safely handle the PEAK current draw of two lights, and something is going to eventually burn out, either the lights or the inverter.

Hope this helps,

110yd

110yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of October 2011 (Sat)   #5
Csae
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetime View Post
It does, its not recommended so use it at your own risk.
Csae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of October 2011 (Sun)   #6
c2thew
Goldmember

of course you can use a single d-lite 4 at full power. there shouldn't be ANY issues with one d-lite 4.

There is a youtube video that shows that 2 d-lite 4 IT's can be run off the vml which agree with the OP's post.

Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!
c2thew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of October 2011 (Sun)   #7
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Except for the fact that the E4 message comes up often. The fact that the OP is getting the delays in stabilization, power relay glitching and the E4 error indicates that it's not working well at all.

If people want to ignore the error, that's on them, but I would not endorse this practice and would not call it compatible.

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of October 2011 (Sun)   #8
eduardofrances

Robert and 110yd x2 the fact that your D-lite is telling you there is an error isn't because there is a glitch on the auto-diagnosis system of the D-lite but rather to let you know that there's potentially an issue with the inverter not being able to work properly with the D-lite that can damage your D-lite, the VML or both.

If you are getting this kind of issues I would not recommend at all using the VML with your D-lites to avoid damaging your gear.
eduardofrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of October 2011 (Sun)   #9
c2thew
Goldmember

PCB will warranty the VML so you can take the damaging to the VML out of the equation. There is internal circuitry that should prevent the VML from overloading. I also believe that there is circuitry in the elinchrom strobes that also prevent the strobe from getting damaged. However, since there aren't any protections against the elinchrom strobe, I would use at each own's discretion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_chkTSaG1HM

Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!
c2thew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of October 2011 (Sun)   #10
Csae
Goldmember

I can use 1x Dlite4 (non-it) at full power and never get a E4.

I'd rather not use both as its been long-stated the the drop in current is massive enough to cause or potentially cause issues, but i've never had -any- indications of problems with only 1.

I should mention, that i have used two of my dLites on a non-pure but high grade sinewave inverter before at full power for hundreds of pops and keep that around in case the VML fails.

The DLites aren't the squishy things they are made out to be, these are well-made and solid lights, i have had them topple to the ground light-stand and all several times and they are Still kickin.

This is all at your own risk, so judge by yourself, some people are in fact using 1 Dlite with the VML without any issues, i am one of those.

Last edited by Csae : 2nd of October 2011 (Sun) at 17:33.
Csae is offline   Reply With Quote