Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of October 2011 (Sun)   #1
ontonagondave

Default Northern Lights settings advice please

I live in Barrow, Alaska on the Arctic Ocean and we often have displays of the Northern Lights. Can anyone provide me with settings you use or have knowledge of that would work best? I have a Canon T2i with either the 18-55 IS or the Tamron 70-300 with VC. Thanks for any advice.
Dave
ontonagondave is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #2
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Northern Lights settings advice please

Use the 18-55 at 18mm. Put it in manual mode and change the settings to
  • Aperture f4
  • Shutter 10s
  • ISO 800
Change the focus mode on the lens to manual and focus on something very far away (ideally a bright star - using the LiveView mode with 10x magnification on the LCD).

Put everything on a good, steady, tripod and take a test exposure with a remote shutter release. You may need to have a longer shutter speed or increase the ISO. The great thing about digital is that you can play for no extra cost.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote