Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 09:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

British Wildlife Centre

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 03, 2011 09:38 |  #1

I've just booked myself on a photographic day at the BWC in Surrey.

Has anyone here been before, and if so what would you recommend re. focal lengths? Is it worth carting along a 300mm or will a 70-200mm suffice?

(I shoot both crop and FF btw).

Thanks

Scott

flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Sussex, UK
Oct 05, 2011 07:43 |  #2

Scott_online wrote in post #13198353external link
I've just booked myself on a photographic day at the BWC in Surrey.

Has anyone here been before, and if so what would you recommend re. focal lengths? Is it worth carting along a 300mm or will a 70-200mm suffice?

(I shoot both crop and FF btw).

Thanks

Scott

I took my brand-new 300 f2.8 when I went and found it a bit too long. A 70-200 would have been much better.

Here are some of my images from that day... LINKexternal link.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Scott_online
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 05, 2011 15:02 |  #3

hollis_f wrote in post #13207757external link
I took my brand-new 300 f2.8 when I went and found it a bit too long. A 70-200 would have been much better.

Here are some of my images from that day... LINKexternal link.

Perfect. Thank you.

flickr (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Oct 05, 2011 15:34 as a reply to Scott_online's post |  #4

Yeah, the 300 can be a bit long but I have found a use for it there from time to time. The water voles can be shy, so standing back and using the 300 can be handy. I also found it handy for the wildcats with the kittens last time, although I was shooting from outside the enclosure on that occasion. I presume you will be inside with them on the photo day and 300 is definitely too long when you are in with them.

Most of what you do on the special access days you will be fine with a 70-200 and may want something a little wider at times too. I carried one body with a 24-105L and the other with the 100-400L at the "official" photo day I did. I rarely went above 300mm, but there were opportunities for close up portraits of the animals where a long lens was really useful.

So, you won't "need" the 300, there are plenty of photo opportunities without it, but you will probably find a few occasions where it will prove useful. It depends on whether you can bothered to carry it. You should get some great images either way.

I would take the fastest lens you can get your hands on, as some of the smaller animals have indoor runs / enclosures which are in pretty low lighting.

1,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
British Wildlife Centre
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.