Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #46
Higgs Boson

Default Re: 8MP Camera in new iPhone!!!

Nokia and RIM should hold hands as the slide down the tubes so they won't be lonely.

On Oct. 7th I will be walking into the nearest Sprint store to prepurchase the 4S. Then, hopefully, since I am not camping out overnight, lol, I will have one on the 14th. I have an undeniable desire to do this even though by November I will undoubtedly again be bored with my phone....
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #47
AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion

Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango_28 View Post
The Nokia N8 is still have the better camera.
It better be. The sensor on the N8 is 1/1.9", while the 4s' is 1/3.2".

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...
AngryCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #48
Jannie
Goldmember

I really love the camera in my iPhone4, I use it more than the actual telephone part. I tend to text, email or use facebook messages the most. I post photos directly from the phone that I process in an Photoshop app in the phone. It definitely has replaced a point and shoot, while not as good as my G11 was, it is better in that I have it with me all the time and it's really changed my attitude about keeping my vision in tune by shooting a lot more. Often when I have something extra nice I'll process it at home in Lightroom which had a calibration for the iPhone listed as Apple. I did a workshop with 16 teenagers last summer to help them use their smartphones as cameras better. When I started the class I asked how many were on facebook and all of them raised their hands, then I asked how many had posted photos from their smartphones and they all raised their hands. It makes sense to me. I absolutely love the iPhone camera.

One thing also nice is the upgrades don't cost me anything. The last two uprades I've sold my old iPhones via Craigslist and had the cash in hand in two to four hours and this covered the upgrade costs. The last time I was busy running errands and didn't get around to canceling my Craigslist post for 6 hours from the time I'd origionally posted it and there were something like 51 emails from people saying they wanted it and would come right now to meet me with cash.

For me it's a no brainer to keep using this and to appreciate the phone. I still use my MKIII but for other than non paying work - not often anymore. Yes in some ways the iPhone4 has replaced it but in a different way, I actually love the challenge of it's simplicity. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Jannie is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #49
dharrisphotog
Goldmember

Once Apple figures out folding optics, it's game over for the P&S market. Why that camera segment hasn't innovated (wi-fi, touch screen, onboard apps, etc) is beyond me. My P&S S95 is going up on ebay tonight. We've had a good run, but it's one less device I'll have to worry about. My S95 served me well, but I barely used it because I always used my iPhone 4. It got most use in bars, clubs and other dim lit places, that's where the S95 shined. Frankly those days are over. Memory card and 3 batteries and the device if anyone wants it.

Last edited by dharrisphotog : 5th of October 2011 (Wed) at 17:33.
dharrisphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #50
shebee

Geez, what do I need my 40D for anymore? Along with all the lenses lol.
shebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #51
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Nice pictures. I don't even know if my phone has a camera. I'd look at it, but I'm not sure where it is right now. I went thru the "smart" phones (IPhone, Blackberry and Moto Android) and decided they were a PIA, so I pulled an old dumb phone out a desk drawer and activated it. Works fine for the 10 or so calls I get a week. I know it can do text, because I've seen messages displayed that I have a new text message. I've told people if you want to talk to me - call. I ignore texts, I have no clue how to deal with them on this phone. The user manual is long gone, I doubt I'd read it even if I had it.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #52
nekrosoft13
User is banned from forums

Who cares phones had more mp before
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #53
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAnthonyPhotography View Post
well that is not correct..cause I am eligible for my new phone this Nov 2 for the 2year price and I just got this crappy ass samsung last Nov. So i will go by what the verizon store told me I can do over some article by a random website.
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #54
helloagain36

I knew Jobs was in bad health...but I honestly didn't see this coming quite so soon. He will be missed.

Last edited by helloagain36 : 5th of October 2011 (Wed) at 21:13.
helloagain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of October 2011 (Wed)   #55
joedlh
Goldmember

Location: Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

WOW. Guess it's time to moth-ball my 20D.

Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now.
http://photo.joedlh.net
joedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2011 (Thu)   #56
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I ordered one of these today, not because it has an improved camera but because I was due for a new phone. I had been using a Blackberry for years but they just don't seem to get it. This is still a phone and I cannot imagine anyone using it for anything other than snapshot type of pictures when you don't have a real camera around.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2011 (Thu)   #57
themadman
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssim View Post
I ordered one of these today, not because it has an improved camera but because I was due for a new phone. I had been using a Blackberry for years but they just don't seem to get it. This is still a phone and I cannot imagine anyone using it for anything other than snapshot type of pictures when you don't have a real camera around.
How did you order? I thought preorder date was October 7th?
Old 6th of October 2011 (Thu)   #58
helloagain36

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
How did you order? I thought preorder date was October 7th?
I was thinking the same thing...
helloagain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2011 (Thu)   #59
Chow7

He must of ordered the iPhone 4 from Sprint. Sprint is now letting you preorder the iPhone 4 but if you want the new iPhone 4[S] you have to wait until the 7th.
Chow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2011 (Thu)   #60
Pekka
El General Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloagain36 View Post
I didn't even know Nokia still made phones. I looked into the N8 though and you are right...its camera does have some pretty impressive specs...but good god its an ugly ass phone.
Agreed, but Nokia has N9 changed all that. It's design surpasses any current phone and it has same lens and camera resolution new iPhone has. I'll know more in couple of weeks when I get mine.

----------------------------
Pekka is offline   Reply With Quote