Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 13 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 16:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The M-Plate Is A Universal Tripod Plate for Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss by CustomSLR

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,065 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Oct 13, 2011 16:19 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

One draw back about camera sling straps is that they take up your tripod mount. Granted, some may have some accessories to fix that problem but it still requires you to unclip your strap from your camera. What if there was a way to leave your strap on your camera and still use the tripod? San Francisco-based Custom SLR (external link) (makers of the C-Loop and Glide/Sling Strap - full review of C-Loop/Sling Strap here (external link)) has come up with a solution that offers the best of both worlds: the M-Plate.

The M-Plate, is a new tripod plate that offers universal mounting compatibility. The M-Plate is a plate that connects to both the Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss quick release systems. It also provides an array of additional mounting points for a strap, a hand grip and a few rig products that they say are in the works.

What is the M-Plate™?
The M-Plate is a camera tripod plate system with universal mounting compatibility, integrated Manfrotto RC2 / Arca-Swiss connections, and modular attachment points.

Features of the M-Plate:
  • World's first tripod plate to integrate both Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss mounts. Also compatible with other tripod plate systems.
  • Quick-attach to any tripod while using your favorite camera strap systems such as our own C-Loop (external link). Also compatible with BlackRapid, SunSniper, Spider Holster and others.
  • Hand Grip Friendly. Adds hand grip function to cameras that lack the mounting point.
  • The built-in M-Link port will connect with future photo and video attachments, including flash brackets and video rigs that are currently in development.
How does it attach to the camera?
The M-Plate securely fastens to the base of the camera using a threaded hex head bolt, while a protective neoprene base layer prevents the M-Plate from moving once in position. A hex key will be included to attach your M-Plate.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=UzxNm2eA9aA (external link)

For more information and how you can pledge ($50 will get you one; retail will be $74.95), go to CustomSLR's KickStarter (external link) page.

Sorry, I copy and pasted from my site. But do you see yourself getting this or having a need for it?

I love the fact that I no longer have to remove my strap or tripod mount for my strap. Its a bit bulky though and the MSRP price scares me...$74.95!

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

sponsored links
BlueCadet3
369 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Portland, 0r
Oct 14, 2011 01:20 |  #2

I like the idea of the possibilities that this can be used for.
The video handles and flash bracket were a really good idea.

a n d r e w|c i o b a n a s i u
g e a r|m eexternal link

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Oct 14, 2011 01:24 |  #3

The only thing I don't like about it is that the mount is off-centre. It could easily have been designed to make it centered with the strap lug/mount point off centre instead.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,956 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Oct 14, 2011 02:06 |  #4

I'm with Sirrith...having the weight all akimbo, out to the side like that sort of ruins the idea of using a ballhead to begin with; especially with longer or heavier lenses. You can't balance something very well, that way. I like the idea, but the execution appears to need some rework.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009
SoCal
Oct 14, 2011 02:20 |  #5

Sirrith wrote in post #13249059external link
The only thing I don't like about it is that the mount is off-centre. It could easily have been designed to make it centered with the strap lug/mount point off centre instead.

I agree. That's a shame. It probably would have been half the size as well. They wanted their C-Loop strap attachment to be the star. I saw an Arca/Manfrotto plate on Ebay a few months ago, so I'm not sure if this is the "world's first" either.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Oct 14, 2011 02:22 |  #6

I had the exact same thought while watching the video earlier. I don't think it's the best design, but the concept behind it is pretty sweet I must admit.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Lotto
Goldmember
2,599 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Southern California
Oct 14, 2011 02:44 |  #7

Before I watched the video, I thought the idea for the off center mounting plate was for the benefit of when turning ball head vertically would help the camera body relatively center. But I could see couple problems:

1. In horizontal position, my left hand has to reach around the tripod head to get to the lens with a non-gripped body.

2. With the R-strap, the mounting plate will be banging against my leg/hip.

Cool concept like the other have said, but could use a V2.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009
SoCal
Oct 14, 2011 02:58 |  #8

I just watched the video, as well. The Arca/Manfrotto plate I saw was a bit different. The one on Ebay had the Arca and Manfrotto bevels oriented at 90° to each other.

They probably wanted it to be low profile like most Arca style plates. The way I envision stacking the plate right behind the mount for the C-Loop would make it more than twice as high. I don't think people would complain as much, though. It's already sticking out pretty far right now.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Echo63
Goldmember
2,859 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Oct 14, 2011 04:31 |  #9

Looks pretty good.
If I can find some cash floating round I may kick in for one.

Only thing is watching the video, it didnt look to stable when clicked into the RC2, it seems to sag a little bit

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Oct 14, 2011 08:05 |  #10

Echo63 wrote in post #13249330external link
Only thing is watching the video, it didnt look to stable when clicked into the RC2, it seems to sag a little bit

I noticed this too. It didn't just sag, it simply looked completely loose.

-Tom
Flickr

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,065 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Oct 14, 2011 08:45 |  #11

Sirrith wrote in post #13249059external link

I agree but I guess it was the only way to have arca/rc2 and the hexagon for other tripods to be mounted

klr.b wrote in post #13249156external link
I agree. That's a shame. It probably would have been half the size as well. They wanted their C-Loop strap attachment to be the star. I saw an Arca/Manfrotto plate on Ebay a few months ago, so I'm not sure if this is the "world's first" either.

If it was half the size, it wouldn't have the hexagon shape to be able to hold other tripod mounts. At least they mentioned BlackRapid. Usually competitors call them "the other brand"

Have a link to this eBay link? I'm interested in seeing it. But I'm sure there are other homemade mounts that someone has made.

Echo63 wrote in post #13249330external link
Looks pretty good.
If I can find some cash floating round I may kick in for one.

Sirrith wrote in post #13249702external link
I noticed this too. It didn't just sag, it simply looked completely loose.

I noticed that when the rc2 was clicked, it sagged or looked loose due to the weight. The M-Plate they were using was probably a prototype and still in the working stages. Hopefully its fixed in the retail version. But its definitely a good start.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009
SoCal
Oct 14, 2011 14:28 |  #12

iazybandit wrote in post #13249823external link
I agree but I guess it was the only way to have arca/rc2 and the hexagon for other tripods to be mounted

If it was half the size, it wouldn't have the hexagon shape to be able to hold other tripod mounts. At least they mentioned BlackRapid. Usually competitors call them "the other brand"

Have a link to this eBay link? I'm interested in seeing it. But I'm sure there are other homemade mounts that someone has made.

I'm not sure if thisexternal link is the same one I saw, but it's the same idea.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Oct 14, 2011 15:38 |  #13

klr.b wrote in post #13251252external link
I'm not sure if thisexternal link is the same one I saw, but it's the same idea.

Now thats just a better design. The camera is centred, the strap is off-centre, and the whole thing stays hidden under the camera, not sticking out waiting to damage something. Plus the price difference...

-Tom
Flickr

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Oct 14, 2011 16:01 |  #14

Never bothered with a BlackRapid-strap or similar: I use a regular canon strap over my right shoulder.

That being said: I see a few problems with this design:

• Camera is (very much) off center on tripod. Not good.
  • Looks like a very loose fit on the Manfrotto QR (which is not too stable at best IMO)
  • Uses cork / rubber between camera and plate: Not something I like.
  • Looks like it's quite uncomfortable if you ever want to hold the camera portrait orientation (with grip)
  • Not an L plate.
  • Who in their right mind would want to use a manfrotto RC2 if they own an Arca style QR?

Most of these points could have been easily avoided.
(Except the cork: That could require a custom fit to the body. Although a plain metal surface and firmly tightened screw works fine IMO)
If I were inclined to use a BlackRapid strap, I'd probably just get an additional Arca QR, and attach that to the sling…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

james048a
83 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Inland Empire, So. Cal
Oct 17, 2011 12:50 |  #15

This looks to be a great start for a bracket. I agree with the above about it being off-centered mounting. Plus one thing i would add to the design is having it as an L-type bracket, as that would not be to hard to add to the design per the photo above. Over the Weekend i just built my own L-bracket for my Manfrotto RC2 plates center mounted and an off-center mount for my BlackRapid RS-2 Sport 2 using 1/4" steel L-bracket from lowes, with a welded stiffening web and (2) 1/4" holes.

Canon 7D, 40D | Canon 18-135 IS lens | Canon 70-200/f4L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20mm | Sekonic L-308B | 2-Photogenic 320w/s | 580exII | Elinchrom Skyport Universal Tx&Rx

sponsored links

15,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
The M-Plate Is A Universal Tripod Plate for Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss by CustomSLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.