Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3061
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

Guys, I checked out those shots on the Canon page, and the only one I thought was "off" was the second one (002.jpg), the ISO 1600 shot -- it was very slightly OOF to my eye, and I don't believe there was any shapening or NR applied to that shot (or the other 001 portrait).

So, compare the two, 100% zooming at the eyes, and there is a whole better view with #1, both in the eyelashes/eyebrows and in the skin texture.

As to why the one missed focus, I don't know, but if I were the photographer, I certainly wouldn't have submitted that photo! But the 001 photo is certainly more representative of the IQ of the camera itself.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3062
Alex_Venom

I really think it's funny how people think Canon should PP those images (like the Nikon ones) for them to look better.
The camera is not even out yet! And people are judging everything based on 5 or 6 first photos. Like the camera is a big failure just because those 5 or 6 photos does not look as good as the 5 or 6 PPd ones from the other brand.
I'll just wait for some real world testing before making my mind.
And as for the PP goes, I see no texture on the D800 skins, and I see every single pore on the Canon's.
If having a Photoshop Master PPing your pictures make a camera better, then you should probably go for that D800. Or perhaps a T3i

And the Nikon photos were taken wi the D800 according to the text, not the D800E, so I assume those had the Anti-Aliasing filter, but were sharpened in post. Oviously at this point we can all just guess...

"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."
Alex_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3063
RobDickinson
Goldmember

We all know canon put out poor example photos.

But we should also know they will be examined very closely, these are the first full sized files we have seen from the 1Dx, if they arnt typical examples then canon shouldnt show them.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3064
tonylong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDickinson View Post
We all know canon put out poor example photos.

But we should also know they will be examined very closely, these are the first full sized files we have seen from the 1Dx, if they arnt typical examples then canon shouldnt show them.
There were two portraits and then several sports shots. I thought that the sports shots came out fine. The one portrait shot was soft, yeah, the other to me looked fine.

I just noticed something -- the two portrait shots were both shot on 12/10/2011 -- three months ago!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 7th of February 2012 (Tue)   #3065
tonylong

Someone was asking to see images from the D800E?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/sample02.htm
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3066
Alex_Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
Someone was asking to see images from the D800E?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/sample02.htm
Now, that's quite impressive!
I expected to see a lot of Moiré on the japanese temple roof and on the fabrics of the Japanese woman, but I see none. This is going to be a great little camera!

"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."
Alex_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3067
Rai33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Venom View Post
I expected to see a lot of Moiré on the japanese temple roof and on the fabrics of the Japanese woman, but I see none. This is going to be a great little camera!
Still looks like its from a smaller sensor DSLR... got to love Nikons 'medium format rival' marketing hype : )
Rai33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3068
Trixster!

Quote:
Really? Those images don't look any better than anything the current cameras can produce.
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3069
Double Negative
*sniffles*

Well, let's just keep in mind that neither the 1Dx or D800/D800E are out yet - so any pictures out there are on pre-production units with beta software at best. So I wouldn't draw any conclusions just yet.

On paper at least, the lack of AA on the D800E and the large MP count should be quite a treat. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing more from it.
Double Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3070
AzzKicker

I thought I'd never say this but I'm actually considering a D800. It even has Dual Card slots What I like is it seems to be a PRO body in a smaller package unlike Canon's NON "1D" series cams that obviously lack in pro features.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 5D, 50mm 1.2L, 24-105 F4 L, 580EX II, Genesis 200 Strobe
AzzKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3071
Double Negative
*sniffles*

What strikes me about the D800/D800E is that they're what the 5D (or "3D") should be. The 5D/II are too "dumbed down" from the 1D if you ask me. Unlike Canon, Nikon didn't rip all the more pro-level stuff out just to make a consumer/prosumer body. Important stuff like AF and exposure, etc.

I shoot a 1D (Mark IIn) and I'm sorry, once you use 45 AF points, trying to use a 5D is downright archaic.
Double Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3072
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
I shoot a 1D (Mark IIn) and I'm sorry, once you use 45 AF points, trying to use a 5D is downright archaic.
Yet the 5D still works for many (and a good portion of those are shooting "pros"). The question here is whether the tool itself will work for you. And if your livelihood depends on it, find the best tool for the job and go with it.

While it does stink that Canon can't seem to understand that there's a big market here for small-body camera with pro features... thankfully Nikon does understand it. If enough people start leaving Canon for their competitor... maybe Canon will eventually pull its head out of its own rear end and realize maybe they should give what the people want.

So if you've gotta switch, you gotta switch. Though if your current gear has worked well enough for you up until now... I'm curious why it wouldn't continue to work well enough now that the D800 is announced.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3073
AzzKicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
I'm curious why it wouldn't continue to work well enough now that the D800 is announced.
Well for example, I have a 5D and a 1DIV. I love the 5D, but its AF much like the 5DII just lacks. I have to leave the 5D for the IV because the IV has better AF and even then the IV's AF is not as good as NIKON's from what i hear. Can I make it all work yes but its more of a hassle. Selling the IV and 5D with cash I could buy 2 D800's and have a GREAT combo with great AF and a better FLASH system than Canon.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 5D, 50mm 1.2L, 24-105 F4 L, 580EX II, Genesis 200 Strobe
AzzKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3074
RTPVid
Goldmember

Quote:
There IS a lot of moiré on the Japanese temple roof. And, it looks like moiré in the black parts of the woman's costume, too, but it is hard to tell if that is just the black-on-black pattern of the fabric.
Old 8th of February 2012 (Wed)   #3075
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzKicker View Post
Well for example, I have a 5D and a 1DIV. I love the 5D, but its AF much like the 5DII just lacks. I have to leave the 5D for the IV because the IV has better AF and even then the IV's AF is not as good as NIKON's from what i hear. Can I make it all work yes but its more of a hassle. Selling the IV and 5D with cash I could buy 2 D800's and have a GREAT combo with great AF and a better FLASH system than Canon.
You don't have to convince me. Sounds like it's the best thing to do. Make it happen. (And no, I'm not typing this with the, "GTFO and switch already" attitude.) If 2x D800 works + better flash, sounds like a no-brainer decision to me.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote