Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of October 2011 (Thu)   #1
eaglesnest

Default Canon G12 versus Nikon P7100

I am struggling to choose whether I should get a Canon G12 or the new Nikon P7100 as my back up/walk around camera. Need some input and advice. Thanks
Old 20th of October 2011 (Thu)   #2
h4ppydaze

Default Re: Canon G12 versus Nikon P7100

They're nearly identical. Personally, I prefer the G series, Canon have a much longer history of producing great quality P&S cameras. Nikon is just now playing catch-up in this field.
h4ppydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2011 (Thu)   #3
2mnycars
Goldmember

Where are you going to buy? Reason I ask is that I live in Ontario too, and it sure is hard to find bargains.

I bought my last cameras just before the 7100 came out.

I had looked hard at the P7000 at Henry's and Vistek. When I was looking I had a D300s, LX5 and ZS3. The ZS3 fell victim to use and a fall of mine...the LX5 just didn't fit me the way I was using it. It morphed in to a NEX 5 (I'm very happy with it) and the ZS3 grew in to a S9100, Nikon.

Point is the specs of the 7100 would have suited me very well. I used a G9 for a while, and really liked the range of the zoom as a back up and travel camera.

Specs for the P7100 are like an improved G9....it has a longer zoom than the G12; it's wide too. And it comes with a swivel screen, that the G9 and 7000 didn't have, but the G11 and G12 have had articulating screens.

BUT Nikon hasn't done well with P&S cameras in my eyes.

Would I buy a P7100? Well I don't know. But If I did, I would buy the "insurance" from Henry's just in case. And half back hurts, but it's better than other choices.

Hope this helps. FWIW my first S9100 was a disaster. And it's a current Nikon P&S too. Second P9100? Jury is out. We'll see. What's with this little camera? Is it luck, design, or because it's a Nikon P&S? Who knows.

I've lusted after G series cameras for years. If the lens on the G12 suits you I would get the Canon G12....just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by 2mnycars : 20th of October 2011 (Thu) at 12:54. Reason: sometimers
2mnycars is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of October 2011 (Thu)   #4
eaglesnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Where are you going to buy? Reason I ask is that I live in Ontario too, and it sure is hard to find bargains.

I bought my last cameras just before the 7100 came out.

I had looked hard at the P7000 at Henry's and Vistek. When I was looking I had a D300s, LX5 and ZS3. The ZS3 fell victim to use and a fall of mine...the LX5 just didn't fit me the way I was using it. It morphed in to a NEX 5 (I'm very happy with it) and the ZS3 grew in to a S9100, Nikon.

Point is the specs of the 7100 would have suited me very well. I used a G9 for a while, and really liked the range of the zoom as a back up and travel camera.

Specs for the P7100 are like an improved G9....it has a longer zoom than the G12; it's wide too. And it comes with a swivel screen, that the G9 and 7000 didn't have, but the G11 and G12 have had articulating screens.

BUT Nikon hasn't done well with P&S cameras in my eyes.

Would I buy a P7100? Well I don't know. But If I did, I would buy the "insurance" from Henry's just in case. And half back hurts, but it's better than other choices.

Hope this helps. FWIW my first S9100 was a disaster. And it's a current Nikon P&S too. Second P9100? Jury is out. We'll see. What's with this little camera? Is it luck, design, or because it's a Nikon P&S? Who knows.

I've lusted after G series cameras for years. If the lens on the G12 suits you I would get the Canon G12....just my 2 cents worth.
Not sure where I am going to buy. The best place to find out for prices is Aden Camera (check their website) very often they slashed the prices quite a bit. Personally I'd rather not to buy there. With the price they advertised you can now go to Henrys, Vistek or Blacks even Future Shop to beat the price. That's what I did when I bought my 40D. Vistek couldn't beat it, so I bought at Future Shop and as a bonus they threw in a 4G CF card.
So far, all my equipment are Canon.
In this case perhaps I'd rather wait before I make a decision.
And trust me your input is way more than 2 cents worth. Thanks
Old 20th of October 2011 (Thu)   #5
2mnycars
Goldmember

You're welcome... and check www.photoprice.ca That site has saved me lots of money with price matching.
There's a real advantage in staying within a system For me that would mean getting a P7100 so I can use my Nikon flash--for you, staying with Canon so you can use a Canon flash if you have it. The other reason is that there may be a similarity with menus on cameras. I find Nikon's menus strange and hard to learn. I found the G9 and G11 to be smart and easy to use. The only trouble I had was finding a way to sharpen images...since I shoot JPG's. (I'm colour blind and don't enjoy painting or photofinishing, or adjusting colour tv's...or picking ties for suits, or...wish there was an app to fix that.

On another forum I read a link that suggests that Nikon has had trouble with flooding wiping out production in some factories in Thailand.

DaveL

Last edited by 2mnycars : 20th of October 2011 (Thu) at 14:56.
2mnycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #6
Chris1le

Well your familiar with Canon so why not stick with what you know. Might want to take a look at the Fuji X-10 though when it becomes readily available if you want to try a different brand.
Old 31st of October 2011 (Mon)   #7
2mnycars
Goldmember

FWIW Was in Henry's today and asked how Sales were for the P7100. Apparently it is selling poorly there. I asked if it's because of price? No answer.

I took a look at one. I has interesting features and feels good. Is it good quality? Don't know.

I was returning my second S9100. First one failed outright. Second one--issues with focus and image stabilization. No thanks. Bought a Pany.

e
Old 1st of November 2011 (Tue)   #8
my name is always taken

I too was looking at buying either a G12 or the nokin P7100,
But didn't find either sitting my needs. I wanted one to take MTB riding but didn't think either one could give me what I wanted. I also have other family needs for it but found that the cameras aren't as good as my dslr's. (I know that you can't compare the two types of systems )
Yes they have flip screens that's a plus but what really made me think was the shutter lag that the G12 has compared to the 7100.
Plus the zoom when in video on the G12 is terrible compared to the 7100,wouldn't focus properly that drove me away from the G12.
Picture quality I couldn't tell the diff from the two on their displays.
G12 has a better low ISO while 7100 has the better hi ISO.

All in all I have left that debate, I recommend looking at the canon s100. Could also do what you need and I have heard its easier to carry in your pocket then the g/p series.

If time comes around again and I look back into the style of camera then I will personally be looking into a lieca dlux 5. The quality is amazing.

S.
my name is always taken is offline   Reply With Quote