Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 25 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 06:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Press Agencies

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 25, 2011 06:58 |  #1

One of my photos has recently become quite popular on 500px and as a result I was approached by a number of press agencies looking to write a small story around the picture for syndication.

In the end I got cold feet and decided to stick with my usual approach and just upload the photo to Alamy.

My main concern with the agency route was that they required exclusivity and would retain the rights to licence the photo in perpetuity. (I would retain copyright and get a 50-60% share of any sales). This would have prevented me from placing the photo with any other agencies after the initial interest, if there was any, had died down. I reasoned that in the longer term I'd be better off keeping my options open.

Are these concerns well-founded, or should I have gone with a press agency given the chance?

flickr (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Attica, NY / Parrish, FL
Oct 25, 2011 11:59 |  #2

Well if it was one of the larger agencies you probably threw away a good opportunity as Alamy just doesn't reach what these bigger agencies do. Not sure, but if uploading to Alamy don't you lose the right to send the images to other agencies anyways?

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Scott_online
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 25, 2011 20:02 |  #3

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #13304090external link
Well if it was one of the larger agencies you probably threw away a good opportunity as Alamy just doesn't reach what these bigger agencies do. Not sure, but if uploading to Alamy don't you lose the right to send the images to other agencies anyways?

Oh well...live and learn as they say.

In answer to your question: no, you can submit to other agencies. The Alamy contract is non-exclusive.

flickr (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Attica, NY / Parrish, FL
Oct 25, 2011 21:59 |  #4

Scott_online wrote in post #13306583external link
Oh well...live and learn as they say.

In answer to your question: no, you can submit to other agencies. The Alamy contract is non-exclusive.

Interesting, would have guessed they would not want you to send it to other agencies.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Southwest
Oct 26, 2011 20:34 |  #5

Scott_online wrote in post #13302810external link
One of my photos has recently become quite popular on 500px and as a result I was approached by a number of press agencies looking to write a small story around the picture for syndication.

In the end I got cold feet and decided to stick with my usual approach and just upload the photo to Alamy.

My main concern with the agency route was that they required exclusivity and would retain the rights to licence the photo in perpetuity. (I would retain copyright and get a 50-60% share of any sales). This would have prevented me from placing the photo with any other agencies after the initial interest, if there was any, had died down. I reasoned that in the longer term I'd be better off keeping my options open.

Are these concerns well-founded, or should I have gone with a press agency given the chance?

I'm guessing you are talking about Zuma and it is my understanding that you can negotiate the terms of image licensing with them. Talk to them on the phone.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONSexternal link | FACEBOOKexternal link

680 views & 0 likes for this thread
Press Agencies
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.