Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 08:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D Mark IV - Selecting AF point

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 25, 2011 08:29 |  #1

I'm having a bit of a job using the 8-way multi-controller (i.e. the joystick) to select AF points when pressing in one of the 45deg directions. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

When I'm zoomed in on an image during playback, I can move around the image at 45deg so I think the controller hardware is OK. It just seems to be when selecting AF points.

Has anyone else experienced this?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Sgt.Ed
271 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Eau Claire, WI
Oct 25, 2011 10:24 |  #2

Scott
For me I nearly always center the AF point before moving around. I'll push the AF selection button, push the joystick straight in and then move the AF point. It may not be the fastest but it works for me.
Ed

Ed
GEAR40D, 1D MKIV, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 500 f4.0L, Canon 1.4 teleconverter, 580 EXII Speedlite, Gitzo GT 3530LS, Wimberly WH-200, 190X PROB Manfrotto tripod and a bunch of other stuff
MYFlickrexternal link

Scott_online
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 25, 2011 11:06 |  #3

Sgt.Ed wrote in post #13303607external link
Scott
For me I nearly always center the AF point before moving around. I'll push the AF selection button, push the joystick straight in and then move the AF point. It may not be the fastest but it works for me.
Ed

When you're moving the AF point from the centre, are you able to consistently move it in a 45deg direction? For example, if I'm trying to move from the centre point to the upper left point, I'd like to take the shortest route rather than having to go two clicks up and three clicks left. My other bodies let me do this although they have fewer AF points to choose from.

I phoned Canon technical support about it earlier today. The rep. I spoke to tried it on a body there and said he found it quite tricky also so I suspect it's a software quirk rather than a hardware fault.

flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Oct 25, 2011 11:42 |  #4
banned

I'm about to rent out this camera, how do you let the AF points track the subject?

Sgt.Ed
271 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Eau Claire, WI
Oct 25, 2011 13:26 as a reply to RichSoansPhotos's post |  #5

Scott
I'm using my right thumb to work the joystick and I have some problems going up to the right. Often I'll end up with the AF point moving right which requires two additional moves to get into the upper right corner.
I don't find it to be an issue with the type of shooting I normally do.
Ed

Ed
GEAR40D, 1D MKIV, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 500 f4.0L, Canon 1.4 teleconverter, 580 EXII Speedlite, Gitzo GT 3530LS, Wimberly WH-200, 190X PROB Manfrotto tripod and a bunch of other stuff
MYFlickrexternal link

Sgt.Ed
271 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Eau Claire, WI
Oct 25, 2011 13:33 |  #6

400dabuser wrote in post #13304001external link
I'm about to rent out this camera, how do you let the AF points track the subject?

You can set the custom function C.FnIII-8 to:
0: Disable
1: left/right AF point
2: Surrounding AF points
3: All 45 points
You'll also be able to set the sensitivity for tracking under C.FNIII-2.
Ed

Ed
MYFlickrexternal link

Scott_online
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 25, 2011 13:51 |  #7

Sgt.Ed wrote in post #13304568external link
Scott
I'm using my right thumb to work the joystick and I have some problems going up to the right. Often I'll end up with the AF point moving right which requires two additional moves to get into the upper right corner.
I don't find it to be an issue with the type of shooting I normally do.
Ed

Thanks.

In my case I mainly have problems going up and to the left. I've tried reducing the number of selectable AF points (C.Fn III-10) to see if that helps but it doesn't. The controller seems to work fine in other situations so it's probably a minor bug in the AF point selection code.

I move the AF point around a lot so it's a bit of an inconvenience for me. In fact, one of the main reasons I got the MkIV was the greater spread of AF points.

flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Oct 25, 2011 15:46 |  #8
banned

Sgt.Ed wrote in post #13304598external link
You can set the custom function C.FnIII-8 to:
0: Disable
1: left/right AF point
2: Surrounding AF points
3: All 45 points
You'll also be able to set the sensitivity for tracking under C.FNIII-2.
Ed

Cheers for that

sponsored links

1,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D Mark IV - Selecting AF point
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.