Specific lens' for full frame vs. cropped frame

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 29 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 17:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jaylim0512
Joined Jul 2011
30 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been reading around and people have been saying some lens' aren't meant for full framed bodies whereas some are meant for it or vis versa with the cropped framed bodies.

Could some explain to me why this is and how I know what to buy for future reference?

By the way, I use a t3i

Post #1, Oct 29, 2011 17:24:00

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kin2son
Goldmember
Joined May 2011
4,546 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

To keep things simple -

ef-s lens = crop body only
ef lens = both crop and ff

note - ef lens *might* perform slightly different when used on crop vs ff

Post #2, Oct 29, 2011 17:27:24

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickrexternal link | My Images on Getty®‎external link

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
Joined Jan 2007
14,425 posts
Detroit, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

EF-S lenses may only be used on Canon EOS cameras with 1.6X sensors newer than the 10D. Such bodies are marked with a white dot on the lens mount, similar to the red dot for EF lenses.

3rd parties also offer small format lenses that are only intended for 1.6X sensors as well. These lenses will usually mount on FF and 1.3X bodies (unlike the Canon EF-S) but they will not give full coverage of the sensor.

Post #3, Oct 29, 2011 17:27:26

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/external link
Commercial sports:http://girbach.zenfoli​o.com/external link
I use a Canon 5DIII and 1DIV and a Panasonic GF-1

WhyFi
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
2,303 posts
I got a castle in Brooklyn, that's where I dwell.
[MORE/SHARE]

There are some lenses (anything with an 'EF-S' designation) that will not physically work on FF bodies because they interfere with the swing of the larger mirror.

Some people insist that some lenses were designed for FF and are not as suitable for a crop sensor because of awkward FoV zoom ranges when you consider the crop factor. Whether or not you find it awkward is personal preference.

Post #4, Oct 29, 2011 17:29:09

Do what works for you.
Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.
Gear | Webexternal link

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
3,686 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

your t31 is a crop camera therefore you want efs lens , but that doesnt mean you cant
use ef lens on there as well, but you cant use efs lens on full frame camera

so understand if you move to a full frame camera, your efs lens wont work on it .

if you use a ef lens which is 24 105 for full frame the focal distance on a crop is X 1.6 which in reality for a crop is 38.4 168

here is a link you should read

http://usa.canon.com ...lay/Lens_Advantage_​Selectexternal link

Post #5, Oct 29, 2011 17:49:39 as a reply to WhyFi's post 20 minutes earlier.

My Gear flickrexternal link 4 Sale 100-400 >>http://photography-on-the.net ...ighlight=FS+Canon+1​00-400

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Sorarse
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
2,193 posts
Kent, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Bianchi wrote in post #13326142external link
if you use a ef lens which is 24 105 for full frame the focal distance on a crop is X 1.6 which in reality for a crop is 38.4 168

I think you meant to say the equivalent field of view. Focal distance doesn't change based on what camera the lens is mounted on.

Post #6, Oct 29, 2011 18:05:32

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.comexternal link
Canon PowerShot G2

WhyFi
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
2,303 posts
I got a castle in Brooklyn, that's where I dwell.
[MORE/SHARE]

No. That would be wrong - the focal lengths will not change, but the field of view will.

Post #7, Oct 29, 2011 18:06:17

Do what works for you.
Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.
Gear | Webexternal link

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

The Image Circle size (how big of a circle is filled with light at the focal plane) either covers or does not cover the different size frames of APS-C vs. FF cameras. The circle can be smaller and still cover 15x23mm (approx) size of APS-C, compared to the 24x36mm size of FF frame.

Generally, it is the image circle size which is designed to cover 24x36mm or not. EF-S is the designation by Canon for lenses which would not cover 24x36mm. EF-S lenses have a number of other characteristics which make them not suitable for FF cameras.

Examples of other Canon EF-S differentiators,
1) how far into the camera body that the rear optic protrudes,
2) whether or not the lens mount can be inserted into a FF body.

Other manufacturers have only the Image Circle as the only differentiation, not matching Canon's other differentiators. Other designators by other manufacturer are used to indicate 'limited image circle size', like Tamron uses 'Di-II' for this.

Post #8, Oct 29, 2011 19:37:31

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

jaylim0512 wrote in post #13326033external link
I've been reading around and people have been saying some lens' aren't meant for full framed bodies whereas some are meant for it or vis versa with the cropped framed bodies.

Could some explain to me why this is and how I know what to buy for future reference?

Other than the fact that Canon EF-S mount lenses cannot be used on cameras other than those which they were designed for (APS-C format cameras beginning with production of the 300D - the original "Digital Rebel"), the majority of the recommendations that I believe Jay is referring to come from people's personal preferences as to focal length ranges that they prefer to use.

A typical example that we see frequently is "the 24-70 is not a good lens to use on a 7D". These folks suggest, instead, the use of a lens with a range of 17 or 18 mm to maybe 50 or 55 mm because the "24-70 is not wide enough on a 'crop' camera". This sort of recommendation should be totally ignored, in my opinion, because it's really based on personal preference. I, for example, find my 24-70 an extremely useful focal length range for use on my 20D.

For the newbies - this information, as presented, is quite incorrect.

Post #9, Oct 30, 2011 05:44:37

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,660 views & 0 likes for this thread
Specific lens' for full frame vs. cropped frame
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES