Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #1
jaylim0512

Default Specific lens' for full frame vs. cropped frame

I've been reading around and people have been saying some lens' aren't meant for full framed bodies whereas some are meant for it or vis versa with the cropped framed bodies.

Could some explain to me why this is and how I know what to buy for future reference?

By the way, I use a t3i
jaylim0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #2
kin2son
User is banned from forums

Default Re: Specific lens' for full frame vs. cropped frame

To keep things simple -

ef-s lens = crop body only
ef lens = both crop and ff

note - ef lens *might* perform slightly different when used on crop vs ff
kin2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #3
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

EF-S lenses may only be used on Canon EOS cameras with 1.6X sensors newer than the 10D. Such bodies are marked with a white dot on the lens mount, similar to the red dot for EF lenses.

3rd parties also offer small format lenses that are only intended for 1.6X sensors as well. These lenses will usually mount on FF and 1.3X bodies (unlike the Canon EF-S) but they will not give full coverage of the sensor.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #4
WhyFi
Goldmember

There are some lenses (anything with an 'EF-S' designation) that will not physically work on FF bodies because they interfere with the swing of the larger mirror.

Some people insist that some lenses were designed for FF and are not as suitable for a crop sensor because of awkward FoV zoom ranges when you consider the crop factor. Whether or not you find it awkward is personal preference.
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #5
Bianchi
Goldmember

your t31 is a crop camera therefore you want efs lens , but that doesnt mean you cant
use ef lens on there as well, but you cant use efs lens on full frame camera

so understand if you move to a full frame camera, your efs lens wont work on it .

if you use a ef lens which is 24 105 for full frame the focal distance on a crop is X 1.6 which in reality for a crop is 38.4 168

here is a link you should read

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/s...vantage_Select

Last edited by Bianchi : 29th of October 2011 (Sat) at 17:52.
Bianchi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #6
Sorarse
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post
if you use a ef lens which is 24 105 for full frame the focal distance on a crop is X 1.6 which in reality for a crop is 38.4 168
I think you meant to say the equivalent field of view. Focal distance doesn't change based on what camera the lens is mounted on.

http://www.scarecrowimages.com
Canon PowerShot G2
Sorarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #7
WhyFi
Goldmember

Quote:
No. That would be wrong - the focal lengths will not change, but the field of view will.
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2011 (Sat)   #8
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

The Image Circle size (how big of a circle is filled with light at the focal plane) either covers or does not cover the different size frames of APS-C vs. FF cameras. The circle can be smaller and still cover 15x23mm (approx) size of APS-C, compared to the 24x36mm size of FF frame.

Generally, it is the image circle size which is designed to cover 24x36mm or not. EF-S is the designation by Canon for lenses which would not cover 24x36mm. EF-S lenses have a number of other characteristics which make them not suitable for FF cameras.

Examples of other Canon EF-S differentiators,
1) how far into the camera body that the rear optic protrudes,
2) whether or not the lens mount can be inserted into a FF body.

Other manufacturers have only the Image Circle as the only differentiation, not matching Canon's other differentiators. Other designators by other manufacturer are used to indicate 'limited image circle size', like Tamron uses 'Di-II' for this.

Last edited by Wilt : 29th of October 2011 (Sat) at 19:39.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of October 2011 (Sun)   #9
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylim0512 View Post
I've been reading around and people have been saying some lens' aren't meant for full framed bodies whereas some are meant for it or vis versa with the cropped framed bodies.

Could some explain to me why this is and how I know what to buy for future reference?
Other than the fact that Canon EF-S mount lenses cannot be used on cameras other than those which they were designed for (APS-C format cameras beginning with production of the 300D - the original "Digital Rebel"), the majority of the recommendations that I believe Jay is referring to come from people's personal preferences as to focal length ranges that they prefer to use.

A typical example that we see frequently is "the 24-70 is not a good lens to use on a 7D". These folks suggest, instead, the use of a lens with a range of 17 or 18 mm to maybe 50 or 55 mm because the "24-70 is not wide enough on a 'crop' camera". This sort of recommendation should be totally ignored, in my opinion, because it's really based on personal preference. I, for example, find my 24-70 an extremely useful focal length range for use on my 20D.

Quote:
For the newbies - this information, as presented, is quite incorrect.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote