Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 02 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 01:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

24 TSE II, talk to me...

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Nov 02, 2011 01:02 |  #1

I'm typical a landscaper shooting with a 7D, 10-20, 17-55 + a bunch of other stuff.

I've always been looking at a FF body, and within the next 6 months I will have a 5d2 (or 5d3).

But right now I have a chance at some decent paid commercial work, shooting 9 bars/hotels/restaurant​s ( they want 160 finished shots including a bunch of night shots etc).

I can/will borrow a 5D2 + 17-40L and will have 3+ speed lights if needed.

I'm pretty convinced I want to be shooting on FF with a prime, and probably the 24mm f3.5 TSE mkII.

I also think it would be awesome for this gig, I kinda have the money to buy it, and I expect the gig would pay it back (and a bit). I also know its trickier to use, I understand tilt and shift (in theory!) and will have live view and can shoot with remote if needed (or transformer using remote app).

So who has it? Is it wide enough on FF for most indoor shots of this type? I like the 17 but it has filter issues. It (the 24) looks a damned near perfect lens optically.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

sponsored links
ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Nov 02, 2011 03:12 |  #2

Check out the architectural and interior shots thread, you'll find some commercial photogs in here.

Regarding the lens, I have personally used it for commercial interiors and it was brilliant. On occasion I could have used a 17, but the shifting capabilities of the 24 will allow for a wide enough FL in most scenarios (at least ones that I encountered).

I use mine for landscape, normally with filters. Check my Flickr for examples. I love to shift with it and make higher-res files, too. Optically, yes - it's incredible. Virtually no distortion, CA, or flare to this lens. And of course, it's very sharp.

There's a reason I'm so vocal about this lens on these forums - it's easily my favorite in my collection, versatile, and it goes with me everywhere. The thing you need to determine for yourself, is whether or not the FL is right for you.

flickrexternal link
5D II | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 85L II | 135L | 2X III

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Auckland NZ
Nov 02, 2011 03:26 |  #3

Rob, I have the Mk1 version to the 24 and while it is fairly wide on full frame, for interiors, I would be tempted to go for the 17.

If your client is looking for some night shots, I assume the business will be in operation and perhaps speed of set-up may be a consideration. With the 17, generally no need to stitch shots together etc.

Both are stunning and the 17 makes a great landscape lens if you spend the money to get the right filter set for it.

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Nov 02, 2011 03:38 |  #4

Thanks!

I'm thinking I can shift left/right -12/+12 and stitch if I need wider and get an easy stitch ( if not I have pt gui anyhow).

I'm guessing any fastish action nightclub/event kind of shots I will shoot with 17-40 and flash. ts will be used for static/tripod shots only.

Does anyone hand hold a ts? :D

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Auckland NZ
Nov 02, 2011 03:41 |  #5

Still got a bit of light fall-off to deal with on the extreme shifts. Not as bad as the Mk1 but still there.

Hand hold, sure, when I use it as a 24mm prime but not when shifting!!

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Nov 02, 2011 03:42 |  #6

I hand-hold mine all the time. It's my main travel lens as well. Hand-holding is much like shooting any other lens, just taking that extra second to focus properly.

I have managed to shift & stitch while hand-holding, but admittedly that requires more care than I prefer.

flickrexternal link

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Nov 02, 2011 03:43 |  #7

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #13341124 (external link)
Still got a bit of light fall-off to deal with on the extreme shifts. Not as bad as the Mk1 but still there.

Hand hold, sure, when I use it as a 24mm prime but not when shifting!!

I don't think this is too bad of an example. This was shifted -/+ 12 in both directions over 4 frames and stitched. No filters:

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/6253563170_8ba06ef7c7_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ken2000ac/62535​63170/] (external link)
Arthur's View (external link) by kenny mccartney (external link), on Flickr

flickrexternal link

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001
San Francisco area
Nov 02, 2011 17:50 |  #8

RobDickinson wrote in post #13341118external link
Thanks!

ts will be used for static/tripod shots only.
Does anyone hand hold a ts? :D

24 TSE II with tripod 99% of the time, as I usually use tilt, which is very, very hard to fine tune while hand holding. However, it can be done by estimating the amount of tilt (no fine adjustment of tilt) using the tables described here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/focusing-ts.shtmlexternal link

Then using focus confirm, and the viewfinder for focus, and shooting.
That's how I got this one:
http://www.fototime.co​m/B2B4B2586B0DC85/orig​.jpgexternal link
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

RobDickinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Nov 02, 2011 20:54 |  #9

Hmmmexternal link probably $2100NZ + postage + GST so $2400-2500, I can get a new one delivered for about $2950

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Sep 2008
So Cal
Nov 02, 2011 22:35 |  #10

There's no finer glass in that range... NADA. Check out the lens sample section. Every time I use it something magical happens.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com websiteexternal link ----- SportsShooter profileexternal link ----- Facebook pageexternal link

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,087 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 02, 2011 22:54 |  #11

I rented one to use with my 5D2 on a vacation. Outstanding image quality.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ljjf
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Nov 03, 2011 02:45 |  #12

Rob, like you I'm very keen on this lens except for landscape work. Is there a steep learning curve in learning to shoot with this lens? Does anybody have any experience with using a step-down ring with 77mm filters, considering some ND filters like B+W only go up to 77.

5D MKII I 50 1.4

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Nov 03, 2011 03:16 |  #13

ljjf wrote in post #13346532external link
Rob, like you I'm very keen on this lens except for landscape work. Is there a steep learning curve in learning to shoot with this lens? Does anybody have any experience with using a step-down ring with 77mm filters, considering some ND filters like B+W only go up to 77.

My review of step-down rings: http://photography-on-the.net ...?p=10297662&postcou​nt=209

I use 77mm step down rings so often with this lens it's ridiculous. Often I stack filters as well, since I like to do Long Exposures almost exclusively. The image circle on this lens is so big there's very little loss in the corners.

flickrexternal link

ljjf
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Nov 03, 2011 06:34 |  #14

ken2000ac wrote in post #13346573external link
My review of step-down rings: http://photography-on-the.net ...?p=10297662&postcou​nt=209

I use 77mm step down rings so often with this lens it's ridiculous. Often I stack filters as well, since I like to do Long Exposures almost exclusively. The image circle on this lens is so big there's very little loss in the corners.

Excellent photos, I'm very keen to dabble in long exposures as well. I've read up on the benefits of tilt/shift lenses and if i'm correct, is it possible to achieve sharp focus up to infinity at large apertures using the tilt function, thus avoiding diffraction from using a smaller aperture, or is it more suited to plane of focus control.

5D MKII I 50 1.4

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Harvesting Nano crystals
Nov 03, 2011 08:48 |  #15

You should go for it Rob. Mike K and Ken have posted great images with this lens. I don't see how you can lose when this lens has so much versatility. :)

sponsored links

2,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
24 TSE II, talk to me...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.