Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Nov 2011 (Monday) 15:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)

sincity
Joined Nov 2014
Sep 03, 2017 22:32 as a reply to post 18443957 |  #10036

Yes, I have the same HoneyGrids for the Maxilite.. I just don't like the velcro attachment on two points ; I guess I can epoxy two more points to make it more secure

sponsored links
sincity
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 10, 2017 18:10 |  #10037

Now the 39 inch/100cm Deep Octa is going on closeout at Adorama.. Maybe there is a new model coming out..

LINK~~ https://www.adorama.co​m/el26185.html (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been edited 1 month ago by fotopaul.
Oct 10, 2017 18:20 |  #10038
banned

sincity wrote in post #18470028 (external link)
Now the 39 inch/100cm Deep Octa is going on closeout at Adorama.. Maybe there is a new model coming out..

LINK~~ https://www.adorama.co​m/el26185.html (external link)

All Rotalux boxes are being replaced with "new" models. Basically the same softboxes, new printing on the boxes, new retail boxes, new black bags with label holders, new improved speedring. (only one Elinchrom speedring for all boxes, color coded)

Also there is no speedring included as you buy the one you need for your mount.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,574 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Oct 10, 2017 20:10 |  #10039

They need more grid options

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 11, 2017 00:33 |  #10040
banned

windpig wrote in post #18470103 (external link)
They need more grid options

There are high quality grids available for just about every size of their softboxes from LT.

Blog (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,574 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Oct 11, 2017 05:45 |  #10041

fotopaul wrote in post #18470214 (external link)
There are high quality grids available for just about every size of their softboxes from LT.

True, but at a major premium

flickr (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 11, 2017 10:55 |  #10042
banned

windpig wrote in post #18470276 (external link)
True, but at a major premium

True they are not cheap in relative terms, however, quality cost and when it comes to grids, having saggy low-quality grids seems to defeat the purpose.

I just picked up the LT 50° grid for the Deep Octa 70cm to try out, and it's nothing but exceptional in terms of build and quality.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Blog (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,574 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Oct 11, 2017 19:43 |  #10043

fotopaul wrote in post #18470470 (external link)
True they are not cheap in relative terms, however, quality cost and when it comes to grids, having saggy low-quality grids seems to defeat the purpose.

I just picked up the LT 50° grid for the Deep Octa 70cm to try out, and it's nothing but exceptional in terms of build and quality.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by fotopaul in
./showthread.php?p=184​70470&i=i35590161
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Don't rub it in:-P

flickr (external link)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Oct 12, 2017 01:09 |  #10044
banned

windpig wrote in post #18470761 (external link)
Don't rub it in:-P

:-)

Not being a heavy grid user for softboxes.. there are few of my Rotalux boxes where i think i'd benefit from having the option to attach grids from time to time, the Deep 70cm and the Strip boxes would probably count as those few. :-)

Blog (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Angmo.
Oct 12, 2017 15:34 |  #10045

fotopaul wrote in post #18470896 (external link)
:-)

Not being a heavy grid user for softboxes.. there are few of my Rotalux boxes where i think i'd benefit from having the option to attach grids from time to time, the Deep 70cm and the Strip boxes would probably count as those few. :-)

Yah. I thought the same way. Until I used grids in studio and draped black cloth along the studio walls. Reduced stray light and grids makes a difference in Main and fill control. It does make a difference.

I eventually got grids for all light modifiers. Strips are always gridded.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by fotopaul. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 12, 2017 16:17 |  #10046
banned

Angmo wrote in post #18471297 (external link)
Yah. I thought the same way. Until I used grids in studio and draped black cloth along the studio walls. Reduced stray light and grids makes a difference in Main and fill control. It does make a difference.

I use grids all the time on my reflectors, and i know the difference it makes. It just that I usually don't want the difference a grid gives most of the time on my softboxes, it shapes the light differently and it's not automatically better just because you narrow the spread.

But there are situations where i would like the option to use grids, on my strips and Deep Octa 70cm.

It comes down to how you shoot and what you shoot, i will never grid my softboxes just for the sake of it. Im in general very happy with the fall off and transitions i get with my Rotalux and Litemotiv boxes.

With that said, if and when i do use grids they need to be easy to attach and durable without any sagging going on. Lighttools lives up to those requirements with ease.

Blog (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 12, 2017 16:56 |  #10047

fotopaul wrote in post #18471336 (external link)
I use grids all the time on my reflectors, and i know the difference it makes. It just that I usually don't want the difference a grid gives most of the time on my softboxes, it shapes the light differently and it's not automatically better just because you narrow the spread.

But there are situations where i would like the option to use grids, on my strips and Deep Octa 70cm.

It comes down to how you shoot and what you shoot, i will never grid my softboxes just for the sake of it. Im in general very happy with the fall off and transitions i get with my Rotalux and Litemotiv boxes.

With that said, if and when i do use grids they need to be easy to attach and durable without any sagging going on. Lighttools lives up to those requirements with ease.

Yep. I just shot a bunch using 8 feet of Translum that was backlit by a feathered strobe. I drool over the falloff and creamy look on the model. One of the Best and inexpensive tools I have. And no grid. :-)

fotopaul
388 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Stockholm/Sweden
Post has been edited 1 month ago by fotopaul.
Oct 12, 2017 17:22 |  #10048
banned

Angmo wrote in post #18471358 (external link)
Yep. I just shot a bunch using 8 feet of Translum that was backlit by a feathered strobe. I drool over the falloff and creamy look on the model. One of the Best and inexpensive tools I have. And no grid. :-)

Nice! Yeah it's hard to beat a big soft light source like that.

Recently upgraded my Indirect boxes to the new Litemotiv versions 195cm octa and the 145x145cm Recta. The new fabric and front baffles are awesome. The legendary design is the same so it set ups in seconds. For one light setups, the indirect Litemotiv are very efficient and versatile.

Blog (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 12, 2017 18:57 |  #10049

fotopaul wrote in post #18471377 (external link)
Nice! Yeah it's hard to beat a big soft light source like that.

Recently upgraded my Indirect boxes to the new Litemotiv versions 195cm octa and the 145x145cm Recta. The new fabric and front baffles are awesome. The legendary design is the same so it set ups in seconds. For one light setups, the indirect Litemotiv are very efficient and versatile.

Beauty. I’ve got to get the big indirect one soon. Just spoke with a store manager for setting up a fashion shoot. Either an Elinchrom or Bron. I’m thinking Eli. I just need very large beautiful light.

sincity
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 12, 2017 19:04 as a reply to fotopaul's post |  #10050

Digging that 195CM indirect.. I still have to figure out the modification to fit it to a lollipop or grip head.

sponsored links

915,683 views & 73 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.