Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of November 2011 (Tue)   #1
R2duBot

Default Star Tracking Tripod, good value?

After seeing some of the amazing pics in this forum, I'd like to try my hand at getting pics of the stars (without trails). I found this tripod online and the price is great, but I'd be curious to see what the experts have to say. Has anybody used this tripod? What would you guys suggest for a beginner on a budget?

BTW, I don't have a telescope, I plan on just doing wide angle shots for now.

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotog...59/p/27154.uts

Thanks!
R2
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of November 2011 (Tue)   #2
the jimmy

Default Re: Star Tracking Tripod, good value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2duBot View Post
After seeing some of the amazing pics in this forum, I'd like to try my hand at getting pics of the stars (without trails). I found this tripod online and the price is great, but I'd be curious to see what the experts have to say. Has anybody used this tripod? What would you guys suggest for a beginner on a budget?

BTW, I don't have a telescope, I plan on just doing wide angle shots for now.

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotog...59/p/27154.uts

Thanks!
R2
I believe this tripod has been discussed before, unfortunately on the Orion website there are no user reviews. Hopefully people will respond with knowledge and/or experience with this setup. The price seems to be good IMO
the jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of November 2011 (Tue)   #3
archer1960
Goldmember

I have that exact bundle, and it works ok for beginning astrophotography if you're shooting things you can see. The hard part is getting it "polar aligned" so it will track the stars reasonably accurately, and especially finding objects that are invisible to the naked eye; you end up taking a ton of long-exposure shots as your move the mount in small increments until you get your target framed the way you want. I have posted a couple of shots I used it for on these threads: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1068002 and http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1063833

TBH, if you can bump your budget up to ~$600 or so ($300 for a used one), you can get a computerized goto mount that will be much easier to align, and will find the objects for you. That won't automatically make your pictures any better, but you'll be able to start shooting quicker, and get more of them.
T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.
archer1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of November 2011 (Fri)   #4
alexg212

maybe a stupid question but has anyone tried to modify a computerized mount for a telescope like the Celestron SkyExpidition 60 and attach a dslr for tracking?
here is a link to one: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....e=BCCA&topnav=

I'm out of my league here as I have only take a few moon pictures, but the more I read on this site the more I'm looking forward to trying.

Thanks
Alex
Old 25th of November 2011 (Fri)   #5
cyberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg212 View Post
maybe a stupid question but has anyone tried to modify a computerized mount for a telescope like the Celestron SkyExpidition 60 and attach a dslr for tracking?
here is a link to one: http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....e=BCCA&topnav=

I'm out of my league here as I have only take a few moon pictures, but the more I read on this site the more I'm looking forward to trying.

Thanks
Alex
Even though the tracking for this is adequate for viewing, I doubt it would be good enough for astrophotography, otherwise a lot of people would have done it already.
cyberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2011 (Fri)   #6
R2duBot

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably pass this up and hold out for something better.

Slight change of topic...

As luck would have it, I stumbled upon an Orion Skyview Pro for $50 at a garage sale today. It's in near perfect shape, and has a few parts for the motorized functions. The bad news is it's missing a couple of other parts. (the "Center Support Shaft" and the
"Tube Ring Mounting Plate") Apparently, Orion doesn't sell replacement parts to third party purchasers. Would anyone like to sell me their Center Support Shaft? lol. Maybe I'll start a new post about that...

R2
Old 26th of November 2011 (Sat)   #7
archer1960
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2duBot View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'll probably pass this up and hold out for something better.

Slight change of topic...

As luck would have it, I stumbled upon an Orion Skyview Pro for $50 at a garage sale today. It's in near perfect shape, and has a few parts for the motorized functions. The bad news is it's missing a couple of other parts. (the "Center Support Shaft" and the
"Tube Ring Mounting Plate") Apparently, Orion doesn't sell replacement parts to third party purchasers. Would anyone like to sell me their Center Support Shaft? lol. Maybe I'll start a new post about that...

R2
Try cloudynights.com's "sale & swap" forums, or Astromart.
T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.
archer1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #8
R2duBot

Quote:
Try cloudynights.com's "sale & swap" forums, or Astromart.

Excellent links! Thank you very much!