Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of November 2011 (Tue)   #1
killeraxemannic

Default How do you set up your Zoom H1?

Hi all,

Got my Zoom H1 and it seems pretty awesome so far!

Just wondering how everyone sets theirs up for the best recordings. I saw lots of videos of people using them but I never found one of anyone saying how they set theirs up for a particular application.

With my limited messing around I found that if I put my 60D on manual audio and set it to the lowest setting and put the H1 at 40 for output it was the cleanest.

Do you turn the low cut switch on or off for something like a concert recording?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of November 2011 (Tue)   #2
ChasWG
Goldmember

Default Re: How do you set up your Zoom H1?

Well set the record settings to 48K, 24bit. Its just isn't worth the saved space if you overdrive the limited dynamic range of a 16bit recording.

As for input level, that really depends on the subject matter. that's just too hard to say that one setting will be perfect for each situation.

The low cut filter basically takes out all sounds at or below the set cut off. Usually this is done because of wind noise or rumbling trucks. The low end rumble of wind on a mic is something that can be cut out and not recorded, but beware of using it too much. It also takes out that same frequency response in all sounds it records. Most notably, male voices suffer from low cut filters.
http://vimeo.com/user9461302/videos
ChasWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of November 2011 (Tue)   #3
killeraxemannic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasWG View Post
Well set the record settings to 48K, 24bit. Its just isn't worth the saved space if you overdrive the limited dynamic range of a 16bit recording.

As for input level, that really depends on the subject matter. that's just too hard to say that one setting will be perfect for each situation.

The low cut filter basically takes out all sounds at or below the set cut off. Usually this is done because of wind noise or rumbling trucks. The low end rumble of wind on a mic is something that can be cut out and not recorded, but beware of using it too much. It also takes out that same frequency response in all sounds it records. Most notably, male voices suffer from low cut filters.
So I am getting that the low cut should be off during concert recordings?

Also do you know if the recording quality settings have anything to do with output when your not recording with the device? So for instance if I have it set on MP3 but have it plugged into my 60D will the audio coming out of the line out be of lesser quality than if I had it set on WAV 48/24?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of November 2011 (Wed)   #4
ChasWG
Goldmember

Yeah, I wouldn't use the low cut during a concert. There is usually not a need for it.

As for the difference between a WAV 48/24 and even the best (320) Mp3 the dynamic range and over all quality is night and day. Now, are you going to hear it when recording the human voice? Maybe not, but there is a difference. An Mp3 was created to lower the size of electronic files. They do this by not recording anything above 20KHz and nothing below 20Hz. In between is the commonly perscribed range of human hearing. So if the music recording doesn't have to worry about all the really low lows and all the ear piercing dog whistle sounds that instruments can actually make, the file size is much, much smaller. There are other differences, but that is one of the biggest.

For me, I almost never record Mp3 files, unless I'm doing a transcription track or something that doesn't require that it be up to the Broadcast standard, which is what I normally do for a living.

So to answer your second question, I think the answer is yes, it will be a lower quality recording. But you should look at the Zoom manual on that one. It could also just be that the output of the H1 is just a pass through from the built-in mics straight to the out of the recorder. And your recording on the camera is what it will always be, just using the Zoom mics instead of the Canon built-in unit. But look into it. These small hand held devices are not what I normally work with. And they keep changing all the time with each new version.
http://vimeo.com/user9461302/videos
ChasWG is offline   Reply With Quote