Uni White Balance with 5D mkii

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 11:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

sunking39
Joined Feb 2008
403 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

How can i determine uni wb for the 5d mk ii?
Does the dark frame custom image method work? Or should i download an image made from a magenta chart?

What else is there to it?
How has your experience been like?

TY

Post #1, Nov 23, 2011 11:54:13

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Guillermo Lujk (who shows up here occasionally) has developed this technique. Here's his discussion/tutorial:

http://www.guillermolu​ijk.com/tutorial/uniwb​/index_en.htmexternal link

You can read Web commentary discussion about this simply by Googling a term, like "guillermo uni white balance" (the following result is for MS IE, you might need to do your own:)):

https://www.google.com ...d=ie7&rlz=1I7ADRA_e​nUS364external link

Post #2, Nov 23, 2011 12:03:04

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sunking39
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
403 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tonylong wrote in post #13441275external link
Guillermo Lujk (who shows up here occasionally) has developed this technique. Here's his discussion/tutorial:

http://www.guillermolu​ijk.com/tutorial/uniwb​/index_en.htmexternal link

You can read Web commentary discussion about this simply by Googling a term, like "guillermo uni white balance" (the following result is for MS IE, you might need to do your own:)):

https://www.google.com ...d=ie7&rlz=1I7ADRA_e​nUS364external link

Thank you Tony,
Actually, the way i first learned of uni wb was through Guillermo's article. I downloaded the file he posted, but he also says there are better, more precise techniques. He says that a totally over exposed image does not work. Also he makes no mention of the dark frame technique. So I wonder if the technique explained here : ( http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=485349 ) works or if my only choice is using the file provided in his page.

TY

Post #3, Nov 23, 2011 12:49:02

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
Joined Apr 2005
12,598 posts
Gesher Haziv, Israel
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the black frame method - lens cap on, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/8000. The ISO and SS are probably unnecessary, but just for the hell of it. The method is fast and easy and the multipliers listed in the Maker Notes are RGGB > 1.024, 1.024, 1.024, 1.024.

Actually, I don't think precision needs to be an issue here. The goal is zero WB, but even if there is a little WB done, as long as it is only a little and doesn't affect the histogram significantly it's not a problem. After all, the Uni-WB is only an aid to exposure setting and as soon as you get the file into the RAW converter you will apply a WB that is more appropriate for the light.

Post #4, Nov 23, 2011 16:25:59

Elie / אלי
I look at the world and I notice it's turning, while my guitar gently weeps.
With every mistake we must surely be learning, still my guitar gently weeps.
Paul Harrison
Siteexternal link

sunking39
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2008
403 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tzalman wrote in post #13442429external link
I use the black frame method - lens cap on, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/8000. The ISO and SS are probably unnecessary, but just for the hell of it. The method is fast and easy and the multipliers listed in the Maker Notes are RGGB > 1.024, 1.024, 1.024, 1.024.

Actually, I don't think precision needs to be an issue here. The goal is zero WB, but even if there is a little WB done, as long as it is only a little and doesn't affect the histogram significantly it's not a problem. After all, the Uni-WB is only an aid to exposure setting and as soon as you get the file into the RAW converter you will apply a WB that is more appropriate for the light.

So this method is good enough?

I read several of your post when I did my initial research, thank you.

One more question, when I take the black frame do I take it with any specific picture style, contrast at -4, 0? or doesn't that matter?

Has UNIwhite balance improved the quality of your pics and is it annoying to deal with the green cast?

TY

Post #5, Nov 25, 2011 14:15:48

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

sunking39 wrote in post #13450191external link
So this method is good enough?

Well, it accomplishes what you want, so sure -- that way you don't need to always have an image on a card if you want to change between Custom WB and Auto or a preset.

I read several of your post when I did my initial research, thank you.

One more question, when I take the black frame do I take it with any specific picture style, contrast at -4, 0? or doesn't that matter?

Do you have a camera? A lot of your questions could be answered if you took out a camera and did your own tests!

Has UNIwhite balance improved the quality of your pics and is it annoying to deal with the green cast?

TY

I'd say there are some occasions where using the UniWB can help you to accurately "nail" your exposure, although there are other approaches you can take when your scene is "color-challenged". So to me it's a matter of an "educated preference".

As to whether the green cast is "annoying", well, again, it's a matter of preference...if you have made an educated choice to use it, then what does it matter? We typically don't judge the image by what's on the camera LCD, and in the Raw processor it's a few seconds to set the WB...

Post #6, Nov 27, 2011 14:19:48

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

MGiddings ­ Photography
Joined Mar 2010
953 posts
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I have to say I have just tried this method from Guillermo Lujk using the 5d Mk2 file from his web page and it is indeed very accurate and very pleasing. This could say me huge amounts of time pending further testing.

Post #7, Nov 28, 2011 06:45:48

www.mgiddings.comexternal link
Photography Blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
Uni White Balance with 5D mkii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES