Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of November 2011 (Wed)   #1
sunking39

Default Uni White Balance with 5D mkii

How can i determine uni wb for the 5d mk ii?
Does the dark frame custom image method work? Or should i download an image made from a magenta chart?

What else is there to it?
How has your experience been like?

TY
sunking39 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of November 2011 (Wed)   #2
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: Uni White Balance with 5D mkii

Guillermo Lujk (who shows up here occasionally) has developed this technique. Here's his discussion/tutorial:

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutori...b/index_en.htm

You can read Web commentary discussion about this simply by Googling a term, like "guillermo uni white balance" (the following result is for MS IE, you might need to do your own):

https://www.google.com/search?q=guil...I7ADRA_enUS364
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of November 2011 (Wed)   #3
sunking39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
Guillermo Lujk (who shows up here occasionally) has developed this technique. Here's his discussion/tutorial:

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutori...b/index_en.htm

You can read Web commentary discussion about this simply by Googling a term, like "guillermo uni white balance" (the following result is for MS IE, you might need to do your own):

https://www.google.com/search?q=guil...I7ADRA_enUS364
Thank you Tony,
Actually, the way i first learned of uni wb was through Guillermo's article. I downloaded the file he posted, but he also says there are better, more precise techniques. He says that a totally over exposed image does not work. Also he makes no mention of the dark frame technique. So I wonder if the technique explained here : ( http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=485349 ) works or if my only choice is using the file provided in his page.

TY
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of November 2011 (Wed)   #4
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

I use the black frame method - lens cap on, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/8000. The ISO and SS are probably unnecessary, but just for the hell of it. The method is fast and easy and the multipliers listed in the Maker Notes are RGGB > 1.024, 1.024, 1.024, 1.024.

Actually, I don't think precision needs to be an issue here. The goal is zero WB, but even if there is a little WB done, as long as it is only a little and doesn't affect the histogram significantly it's not a problem. After all, the Uni-WB is only an aid to exposure setting and as soon as you get the file into the RAW converter you will apply a WB that is more appropriate for the light.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2011 (Fri)   #5
sunking39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzalman View Post
I use the black frame method - lens cap on, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/8000. The ISO and SS are probably unnecessary, but just for the hell of it. The method is fast and easy and the multipliers listed in the Maker Notes are RGGB > 1.024, 1.024, 1.024, 1.024.

Actually, I don't think precision needs to be an issue here. The goal is zero WB, but even if there is a little WB done, as long as it is only a little and doesn't affect the histogram significantly it's not a problem. After all, the Uni-WB is only an aid to exposure setting and as soon as you get the file into the RAW converter you will apply a WB that is more appropriate for the light.

So this method is good enough?

I read several of your post when I did my initial research, thank you.

One more question, when I take the black frame do I take it with any specific picture style, contrast at -4, 0? or doesn't that matter?

Has UNIwhite balance improved the quality of your pics and is it annoying to deal with the green cast?

TY
Old 27th of November 2011 (Sun)   #6
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking39 View Post
So this method is good enough?
Well, it accomplishes what you want, so sure -- that way you don't need to always have an image on a card if you want to change between Custom WB and Auto or a preset.

Quote:
I read several of your post when I did my initial research, thank you.

One more question, when I take the black frame do I take it with any specific picture style, contrast at -4, 0? or doesn't that matter?
Do you have a camera? A lot of your questions could be answered if you took out a camera and did your own tests!

Quote:
Has UNIwhite balance improved the quality of your pics and is it annoying to deal with the green cast?

TY
I'd say there are some occasions where using the UniWB can help you to accurately "nail" your exposure, although there are other approaches you can take when your scene is "color-challenged". So to me it's a matter of an "educated preference".

As to whether the green cast is "annoying", well, again, it's a matter of preference...if you have made an educated choice to use it, then what does it matter? We typically don't judge the image by what's on the camera LCD, and in the Raw processor it's a few seconds to set the WB...
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of November 2011 (Mon)   #7
MGiddings Photography

I have to say I have just tried this method from Guillermo Lujk using the 5d Mk2 file from his web page and it is indeed very accurate and very pleasing. This could say me huge amounts of time pending further testing.

Photography Blog
MGiddings Photography is offline   Reply With Quote