Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of October 2001 (Tue)   #1
Russ

Default CD Burner

I recently bought a cd-r/rw and would like to know of the best (easiest) software to burn photos to a cd. I want to basically just burn the photos on the disc as a backup in jpg format. And to give groups of photos to people.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of October 2001 (Tue)   #2
brandon.ME

Default Re: CD Burner

If you have a CD-RW, then you can treat it just like a hard drive and drag-n-drop files to it. What's nice is (again like a hard drive) you can delete files from it, move files, edit files, and add files to the CD-RW (well, until it is full). I keep a CD-RW in my drive at all times so I CAN treat it like a hard drive.

To format your CD-RW to do the above features, I use (only because it came with the CD-RW) Adaptec DirectCD.

HTH
--Brandon
brandon.ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of October 2001 (Wed)   #3
beach512

I do the same thing as previous post, with Direct CD.
beach512 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of October 2001 (Wed)   #4
brandon.ME

Anyone have a Direct CD version (or something similar) to work with Windows XP yet? I know version 4 doesn't work with XP and it doesn't look like the current version 5 does yet as the web site says that the XP version is coming soon.

--brandon
brandon.ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of November 2001 (Thu)   #5
shaunyc

I thought I read somewhere that XP includes in-built support for burning CDs without third party software, but as I'm not running XP I haven't been able to confirm this.

CD-RW drives usually come with all the burner software you need - was there anything included with the one you bought?

Adaptec CD burner software now seems to be sold by Roxio - find them here. I understand that Windows 2000 drivers are supposed to work with XP.

Shaun
shaunyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of November 2001 (Thu)   #6
Roger_Cavanagh

XP does have built CD writing capability. You just drag files to the appropriate drive. When you are ready tell it to write. I have only used it once, so there may be more bells and whistles than that, but it worked fine.

I did see a report that confirmed the Roxio stuff is not compatible with XP.

If you are looking for a good program, however, I have used CDRWin from www.goldenhawk.com. It's been no hassle at all on Win2k.

Regards,

Roger
Roger_Cavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote