Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Wildlife Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of November 2011 (Sat)   #1
J R Mohan

Default Camera Settings for wildlife photography

what camera settings are suggested for photographing wild life in field conditions. 50 D will be used with 100-300 or 70-300 lens.
J R Mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of November 2011 (Sat)   #2
matman1975

Default Re: Camera Settings for wildlife photography

It depends on the location you shoot and your subject.
If it is birds in flight or any other fast action scene you should put Tv (Shutter priority). For any other case Av (Aperture priority) to control DOF
White balance shouldn't be an issue if you shoot RAW, since you can change the settings without any quality loss during editing.
Don't push ISO more than 400 during the day and 800 during dawn and dusk when light is dim.
Wimberley Head Version II- Gitzo 3541 XLS
matman1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of November 2011 (Sat)   #3
J R Mohan

Thanks a lot.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #4
Tom Reichner
Cream of the Crop

JR,

One thing you will want to do is to set the custom function to activate back button focusing. This will allow you to constantly focus & recompose without the focus shifting off your subject. This works best when shooting in the AI servo focusing mode. I've done this on my 50D; it helps significantly.

Another thing about the 50D - I find that anything shot at over 400 ISO is not quite acceptable, so you may want to set ISO to 400 and leave it there. Anytime I am shooting in very low light, and get tempted, and jack the ISO up past 400, I am disappointed with the result, and would rather not have the image at all than have a sub-par image. Up to 400 ISO is great, though!
Please do not send me a PM! Email me instead at tomreichner@yahoo.com My PM inbox is full, and I don't want to delete what's there. Email never gets full; please use that instead - I'd love to hear from you!
Tom Reichner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #5
J R Mohan

Thanks a lot Tom. I will do as advised.

Regards.
Old 17th of December 2011 (Sat)   #6
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

I shoot in manual mode. I set my shutter speed and aperture. Then set my ISO to auto.
I have plenty if good pics at ISO 1250-1600.

I find it more important to get a crisp picture and deal with any possibility of noise in post processing. You can correct for some noise in post but you'll never correct a blurry picture.
No way is perfect though.
AV and TV modes work great too. Av sometimes doesn't give you a fast enough shutter speed to stop motion.
TV sometimes sets your aperture so narrow that you get a distracting background.
Your mileage may vary.
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of January 2012 (Sun)   #7
mn shutterbug

My camera is always set at Av. It's what you get used to. Also, the 50D does a fine job of controlling noise if you use the jpeg file, as long as you have the noise reduction set properly. Just be sure you don't under expose at all. I once shot a basketball game with the 50D set at ISO 3200 and noise wasn't an issue. At high ISO's, always expose to the right on your histogram.