Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 05:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Camera Settings for wildlife photography

J ­ R ­ Mohan
Joined May 2008
Nov 26, 2011 05:51 |  #1

what camera settings are suggested for photographing wild life in field conditions. 50 D will be used with 100-300 or 70-300 lens.

sponsored links
matman1975
140 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Thessaloniki-Greece
Nov 26, 2011 06:06 |  #2

It depends on the location you shoot and your subject.
If it is birds in flight or any other fast action scene you should put Tv (Shutter priority). For any other case Av (Aperture priority) to control DOF
White balance shouldn't be an issue if you shoot RAW, since you can change the settings without any quality loss during editing.
Don't push ISO more than 400 during the day and 800 during dawn and dusk when light is dim.

eos 1Ds MKI, eos 7d, 500mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L
17-40mm f/4L 1.4X teleconverter
Speedlight 580EX II
Wimberley Head Version II- Gitzo 3541 XLS

J ­ R ­ Mohan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
Nov 26, 2011 21:44 as a reply to matman1975's post |  #3

Thanks a lot.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Nov 29, 2011 16:20 |  #4

JR,

One thing you will want to do is to set the custom function to activate back button focusing. This will allow you to constantly focus & recompose without the focus shifting off your subject. This works best when shooting in the AI servo focusing mode. I've done this on my 50D; it helps significantly.

Another thing about the 50D - I find that anything shot at over 400 ISO is not quite acceptable, so you may want to set ISO to 400 and leave it there. Anytime I am shooting in very low light, and get tempted, and jack the ISO up past 400, I am disappointed with the result, and would rather not have the image at all than have a sub-par image. Up to 400 ISO is great, though!

Tell us about your avatar here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=62390
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlife (external link)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/ (external link)
Please feel free to send me a PM, or to email me at tomreichner@yahoo.com

J ­ R ­ Mohan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2008
Nov 29, 2011 21:49 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #5

Thanks a lot Tom. I will do as advised.

Regards.

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2011
Tucson AZ
Dec 17, 2011 22:03 as a reply to J R Mohan's post |  #6

I shoot in manual mode. I set my shutter speed and aperture. Then set my ISO to auto.
I have plenty if good pics at ISO 1250-1600.

I find it more important to get a crisp picture and deal with any possibility of noise in post processing. You can correct for some noise in post but you'll never correct a blurry picture.
No way is perfect though.
AV and TV modes work great too. Av sometimes doesn't give you a fast enough shutter speed to stop motion.
TV sometimes sets your aperture so narrow that you get a distracting background.
Your mileage may vary.

Jeremy
7d, 100-400L, 17-55 2.8 IS, Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, 18-55 IS,430 exII
My Flickrexternal link

mn ­ shutterbug
834 posts
Joined Apr 2008
SW Minnesota
Jan 08, 2012 10:57 |  #7

My camera is always set at Av. It's what you get used to. Also, the 50D does a fine job of controlling noise if you use the jpeg file, as long as you have the noise reduction set properly. Just be sure you don't under expose at all. I once shot a basketball game with the 50D set at ISO 3200 and noise wasn't an issue. At high ISO's, always expose to the right on your histogram.

sponsored links

4,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Settings for wildlife photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.