Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of November 2011 (Sat)   #1
djdy

Default Extension tubes on a camera without live view

I've been attempting to get used to using extension tubes with Canon 100mm, on a camera that does not have live view.

Of course, focusing has been the biggest challenge.

What can you recommend to get better at focusing?

Currently I use depth-of-field preview button while adjusting distance or focus.

Would I benefit from a macro rail? If so, which one? My tripod is a Manfrotto, but the Manfrotto macro rail doesn't seem to have good reviews.

Thank you for your tips.
Old 27th of November 2011 (Sun)   #2
Lester Wareham

Default Re: Extension tubes on a camera without live view

I can't see why you would want to stop down when focussing, you are just making it harder, depth of field preview is for what it says, not for focus.

To be honest Dof preview is not much use for macro as you know you have paper thin dof.

Live view can be useful but we managed without for decades.

A focus rail is useful for static subjects but not essential.
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
Lester Wareham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of November 2011 (Sun)   #3
dubstylz

I NEVER use LV infact i have it disabled so i can use the set button to get to flash EC quickly, to focus i gently rock back and forth untill i get the plane of focus just where i want it, from there its just hit and miss for me as to weather i nail it or not.
Old 28th of November 2011 (Mon)   #4
ceriltheblade
Goldmember

really? i have used the DOF button in cases when i have too little light to see (100 @ f8-f11 with extension tubes for example) and when i don't happen to have a torch with me
though i guess i have left the subject...sorry
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes
ceriltheblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of November 2011 (Mon)   #5
Lester Wareham

Red face Re: Extension tubes on a camera without live view

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriltheblade View Post
really? i have used the DOF button in cases when i have too little light to see (100 @ f8-f11 with extension tubes for example) and when i don't happen to have a torch with me
though i guess i have left the subject...sorry
But the stop down preview makes the image darker, oh wait are using stop down preview to trigger the ETTL II flash modelling function?

This is why the macro flashes have focus assist lights, means you get more light to focus by without stopping down as stop down increases dof making it less easy to see the plain of focus.

Ok I understand why one might do this, wonder if something could be organised using a LED headtourch.
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
Lester Wareham is offline   Reply With Quote