Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #1
thedcmule2

Default Why does my shutter speed have to be so slow and aperture at 1.4-1.6 to get light?

1) Im indoors at home under white lights.
2) Canon 60D + 50mm F/1.4 (prime).
3) ISO is 200 to prevent noise.

I'm reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and so far every shot he's taking has had high F-stops like F/11 or F/22 so he can capture a bigger depth of field. Also his shutter speeds are faster EVEN when the aperture hole is smaller like at shutter speeds of 1/500 or 1/250.

I'm shooting close objects (5-10 feet away) and the only way to get a decently lit image is to have my F at 1.6 or lower and my shutter speed at 4 (which is 1/4 sec?). If I boost my shutter speed at all it gets dark, really dark.

Last edited by thedcmule2 : 29th of November 2011 (Tue) at 21:11.
thedcmule2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #2
MT Stringer
Goldmember

Default Re: Why does my shutter speed have to be so slow and aperture at 1.4-1.6 to get light

Adjust your ISO

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #3
rdompor

Default Re: Why does my shutter speed have to be so slow and aperture at 1.4-1.6 to get light

His examples are most likely for an outdoor exposure. I have never seen a building bright enough to shoot at f/11 and 1/500 under ambient light.

ULTRAMONTAGNE
Website
rdompor is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #4
Iscariotau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Adjust your ISO
This.
Iscariotau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #5
thedcmule2

But my ISO is 200 to prevent noise, isnt this what im supposed to do? I hope nothing is wrong with my equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdompor View Post
His examples are most likely for an outdoor exposure. I have never seen a building bright enough to shoot at f/11 and 1/500 under ambient light.
Duh, I shouldve realized this makes a difference.

Last edited by thedcmule2 : 29th of November 2011 (Tue) at 21:20.
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #6
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedcmule2 View Post
But my ISO is 200 to prevent noise, isnt this what im supposed to do?
Then add more light.
timnosenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #7
pbelarge
Goldmember

You can definitely shoot at a higher ISO than 200. The best way to learn at this point is to set your camera up for the shot and experiment at different ISO's for multiple shots.

Pierre
pbelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #8
Tim S

Try ISO 800, very little noise.....
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #9
Echo63
Goldmember

ISO is the sensor's sensitivity to light - because there is not much light, you need to turn the sensitivity up.

you should be at Iso 800 to Iso 6400 inside (depending on how dark it is) to get a reasonable hand holdable shutter speed inside

outside use 100, 200, 400 Iso in the sunlight, and if its a miserable cloudy day, you might need to push it to 800 Iso
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #10
Stone 13

Keep in mind that your eyes are far more sensitive to light than any camera's sensor. Alot of times, what looks like plenty of light to you is not enough for you to shoot at a low ISO indoors. If you're at 1/4 sec & f1.6, you can go up to ISO 800 f1.4 to get a slightly faster shutter speed, you shouldn't have much noise but it appears that you're in a pretty dimly lit room, you might want to use your flash....

5D III gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Last edited by Stone 13 : 29th of November 2011 (Tue) at 21:21.
Stone 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #11
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop

It's been a while, but Bryan must talk about the "exposure triangle" in that book, no? There are 3 settings you can change to obtain a correct exposure with a set amount of light, your aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Adjusting each one changes something about the final photo, good or bad - whether it's the amount of motion in the photo (shutter speed), the depth of field (aperture), or the amount of noise (ISO).

If you would like more DOF but can't slow your shutter speed down anymore, and don't want to increase your ISO, you need to add more light.
timnosenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #12
thedcmule2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Try ISO 800, very little noise.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo63 View Post
ISO is the sensor's sensitivity to light - because there is not much light, you need to turn the sensitivity up.

you should be at Iso 800 to Iso 6400 inside (depending on how dark it is) to get a reasonable hand holdable shutter speed inside

outside use 100, 200, 400 Iso in the sunlight, and if its a miserable cloudy day, you might need to push it to 800 Iso
Cool, this makes sense thanks so much.
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #13
thedcmule2

Okay I read somewhere like the minimum my shutter speed should be is 1/50 (the 50 comes from my lenses' focal length number). So does that mean I should avoid slower speeds like 1/4? I hate rules, I dont want to be scared to use a setting, I want to embrace them.
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #14
deanedward

they're not rules. they are merely recommendations. if you want to shoot at your preferred settings, then do as you please but do not expect to get the results that you want by simply using whatever setting that you want. there are just limits that you have to grasp, accept and work within.
deanedward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of November 2011 (Tue)   #15
Veemac
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnosenzo View Post
It's been a while, but Bryan must talk about the "exposure triangle" in that book, no? There are 3 settings you can change to obtain a correct exposure with a set amount of light, your aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Adjusting each one changes something about the final photo, good or bad - whether it's the amount of motion in the photo (shutter speed), the depth of field (aperture), or the amount of noise (ISO).

If you would like more DOF but can't slow your shutter speed down anymore, and don't want to increase your ISO, you need to add more light.
Yes, Bryan does talk about the exposure triangle - in fact, he covers it very thoroughly. It sounds as if the OP (as with many new photographers) overestimated the amount of light in an ambient indoor setting and was getting resultant very slow shutter speeds.

thecdmule2 - as Stone 13 said, indoor light which seems entirely adequate to our eyes appears very dim to a camera. Sports shooters often have to use high ISOs and very "fast" (wide aperture) lenses to shoot in indoor gyms, which usually appear plenty bright to the human eye. The lighting in most homes necessitates a high ISO and/or use of a flash to brighten things up enough that the camera isn't "starving for light" for an exposure. Try working through some of the shots in Understanding Exposure outdoors in daylight, you'll have much better luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdmule2
...So does that mean I should avoid slower speeds like 1/4? I hate rules, I dont want to be scared to use a setting, I want to embrace them.
Now you sound like my wife!!! Feel free to experiment with settings - worst you'll have to do is delete the image because it's a blurry mess (which it most likely will be if you handhold your camera at a 1/4 second shutter speed). The "rule" you're talking about is a recommendation to avoid seeing the effects of camera shake in your images. If you put the camera on a tripod or rest it on a sturdy object and use the 2-second timer, you can get away with those kind of shutter speeds....handheld, you're going to have a big mushy blur. Experiment with it and you'll understand why the "rule" (recommendation) exists.

Last edited by Veemac : 29th of November 2011 (Tue) at 21:39.
Veemac is offline   Reply With Quote